PDA

View Full Version : FTA and gibberish

arosar
16-07-2004, 12:28 PM
Hey Dr Richards, you there mate? While youse blokes can think and talk of nothing else but this Buller business, I've been keepin an eye on the FTA. Now the US Congress just passed it. Dr Richards, you reckon this might actually destroy the PBS which is what we Aussies enjoy so much. Looks like we're all now going to be subject to the whims of the large pharmacos mate. Of course they also challenge our sovereignty cos these pharmacos can then dictate our government policies. What do you reckon about all this? What's the AMA's position on it?

Cheers mate.

AR

Cat
16-07-2004, 12:52 PM
Hey Dr Richards, you there mate? While youse blokes can think and talk of nothing else but this Buller business, I've been keepin an eye on the FTA. Now the US Congress just passed it. Dr Richards, you reckon this might actually destroy the PBS which is what we Aussies enjoy so much. Looks like we're all now going to be subject to the whims of the large pharmacos mate. Of course they also challenge our sovereignty cos these pharmacos can then dictate our government policies. What do you reckon about all this? What's the AMA's position on it?

Cheers mate.

AR

I'm not aware that the AMA has a position officially, it might be too political for them to be involved until things are a little clearer.

Mexico was the last country to sign up to a FTA with the USA and that virtually wasted the Mexican economy. Australia may be a little more rhobust, but it's a risky development.

My feeling is that our poitician are too wet behind the ears for the USA and they see us as a bunch of Hill-Billies. I reckon Howard would be percieved as something of a joke over there, behind closed doors.

As for the Pharmaceuticals, I haven't seen the details, but the Liberal Party don't seem to be concerned about health care generally, they really don't understand health care and I suspect they haven't made much of an effort to protect our market.

As you say we have the PBS, but it's hard to see that being strong enough to withstand the storm. As you know American health care is outrageously expensive and run by the insurance industry. The Howard government has already attempted to farm off the private health sector to corporate interest and this failed dismally as the market was too weak. I think ideologically they would see it as a bonus if large American commercial interest took over the Australian health care industry, Howard wants the responsibility removed from federal government.

My feeling is if the Liberals win the next election then not only Pharmaceuticals, but health care costs will rise to levels currently unimaginable. This won't happen overnight, perhaps over 3-4 years, maybe longer. If Labour wins, then they may try to limit the impact, but of course, how successful this will be depends on the skill of the Australian negotiators and the agreement they've reached with the US.

Bill Gletsos
16-07-2004, 12:59 PM

Cheers mate.

AR
Cant you post this in the non chess area instead of as usual creating posts having nothing to do with the topic. :hmm:

arosar
16-07-2004, 01:02 PM
Cant you post this in the non chess area instead of as usual creating posts having nothing to do with the topic. :hmm:

Shut up! I'm not talking to you Bill. I posted here cos I wanted specifically the doctor's attention and I knew he'd look in here.

You're a very exact person Bill. No sense of nuance. No feel for a good meandering conversation. You're just boring.

AR

Cat
16-07-2004, 01:21 PM

Fascist!

Alan Shore
16-07-2004, 01:27 PM
Dave, are you playing the Queensland Open?

Cat
16-07-2004, 01:50 PM
Dave, are you playing the Queensland Open?

No Bruce, I'm taking my son & friends out for his birthday at Infinity, and my parents arrive next week from the UK, so I have to clear my decks. I'll drop in at some stage I hope.

Bill Gletsos
16-07-2004, 01:52 PM
Shut up! I'm not talking to you Bill. I posted here cos I wanted specifically the doctor's attention and I knew he'd look in here.

You're a very exact person Bill. No sense of nuance. No feel for a good meandering conversation. You're just boring.

AR
You are the only goose who posts completely out of topic on a virtually continual basis.

As for the doc and his facist claim, he is way off the mark.
The moron.

PHAT
16-07-2004, 01:53 PM
Moron.

Elitist.

Bill Gletsos
16-07-2004, 02:16 PM
Elitist.
Cretin.

PHAT
16-07-2004, 02:27 PM
Cretin.

Bastard.

Bill Gletsos
16-07-2004, 02:29 PM
Bastard.
You are just full of hot air.
All words no action.

Trizza
16-07-2004, 02:39 PM
Where are the moderators?? Surely this is off topic enough

Then again, that's what Bill wanted in the first place :)

PHAT
16-07-2004, 03:03 PM
You are just full of hot air.
All words no action.

:liar:

Kevin Bonham
16-07-2004, 04:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Bonham
Trizza - The thread ambulance has arrived and will be sorting out this rubbish ASAP.

Bollocks, it is the thread butcher. All that history, burned like books. You are a vandal and a facist.

The history has not been burned but the loo-scribblings have been reshelved in a more appropriate toilet.

AR, stop being lazy and try to ask off-topic questions in the proper place. It's a waste of my time having to clean up the damage when this kind of thing happens and I can really do without it.

Kevin Bonham
16-07-2004, 04:30 PM

Send him a private message then. Simple. :doh:

You call that "meandering"? :hmm: