Mine is the right knight! :D

skip to my lou
03-10-2003, 01:44 PM
you might want to have a look at http://www.chesskit.com/training/opening/

And btw, its N to f3 :)

My fav opening is d4 / Queens Gambit...... that would be pawn up twice! :D

Dash
03-10-2003, 03:49 PM
Some ppl don't understand all those technical terms...
So I thought I i'd keep it nice n simple :D

Merethrond
03-10-2003, 03:58 PM
you might want to have a look at http://www.chesskit.com/training/opening/

And btw, its N to f3 :)

My fav opening is d4 / Queens Gambit...... that would be pawn up twice! :D

What is that supposed to mean?

I voted for "Pawn up twice" because that is what I usually do. I don't know why I do, that is just what I have alway done:).

Choco
04-10-2003, 12:53 AM
I voted pawn up twice because e4 is my favorite

Gandalf
04-10-2003, 03:15 PM
It's pretty predictable, but I usually open with Scholar's mate (Queen and Kings Bishop). Some people just don't think of the simple things, and it hits them hard. It also opens you up nicely.

xiao1985
09-10-2003, 08:36 PM
It's pretty predictable, but I usually open with Scholar's mate (Queen and Kings Bishop). Some people just don't think of the simple things, and it hits them hard. It also opens you up nicely.

uhm i fell for that in the first time i played against it, but nv again... in casual play or against players who u are absolutely sure u r gonna win is fine, but dunt play this in tournament or against someone of equal or slightly weaker than u..... correct response can make u give ur whole position away.......

skip to my lou
09-10-2003, 09:13 PM
I agree with Xiao.

xiao1985
10-10-2003, 10:28 PM
ohhh yeah correction, i actually fell for it twice..... first time was casual play and second time was actually a real game!!! ne way, at the end, i was losin so bad: losing by a rook a knight + n pawns where n is a positive integer between 1 and 8..... ne hoo, and he was attackin me like hell, and + my king is like stranded in the middle..... i was in the worst position eva, but den ^^ guess wut!!! he fell for a check which a discovered att on his queen!!! so yeah, won at the end!!! so very happie at that moment=), very luckie too

BrainsUK
11-10-2003, 06:02 PM
My reply against the Scholar's Mate usually goes something like this:

1. e4 e5
2. Qh5 Nc6 (prevents loss of pawn)
3. Bc4 (Scholar's Mate threatened) g6
4. Qf3 (mate still threatened) Nf6
5. Usual move is d3, to release the King's bishop so that it can threaten the knight on the next move, Nd4 (with a knight fork on c2)
6. Qd1 (only way of stopping it).

These series of moves leaves you with control of the centre, with two knights active as opposed to one bishop, with black's move still to come. (Perhaps d5, d6 or Bc5 are all viable)

Gandalf
14-10-2003, 08:29 PM
Yeah, that's why I've been losing of late :P I can't be bothered thinking up a new opening. Of course, that's what I do to people too. You'd be surprised how many people try pulling that off in tournament. I wonder if (the real) Deep Blue could have used that on Kasparov - it's so simple he may just fall for it!

Hint: could some new member register as "Kasparov"? The humour potential would be endless...

skip to my lou
14-10-2003, 08:56 PM
lol!

yeah, you could pull of a new or unusal opening, but its very hard against experienced players.

pigs_can_fly
14-10-2003, 09:22 PM
hmmm...i have very limited technical knowledge on chess. i just play and make moves that seem best in the situation. i find that this sometimes frustrates more experienced opponents, because of my spontaneity and unorthodox play. good or bad? should i become more learned on the topic?

skip to my lou
14-10-2003, 09:35 PM
unorthodox play is good to some degree. Its good for suprises, especially if you know that your opponent has prepared to exploit your weakness :)

Gandalf
15-10-2003, 07:48 AM
Yeah, I don't tend to use fixed, well known strategies because everyone knows the countermoves. It's much better to just play to the circumstances, but it is crucial that you have the ability to think a few moves ahead (I usually go with about 4, the possibilities are too many after that).

mercury
16-10-2003, 01:00 AM
hmm, i usually with pawn up twice, queen's or king's depending on the day. me also a non orthodox player and i don't usually go for the techy stuff (coz i don't know much). I agree with Gandalf in that thinking ahead is probably the most important thing... apart from that, I like playing based on circumstances :) rather than known strategies... and it has worked well on occasions.

pigs_can_fly
24-10-2003, 10:39 AM
yeah, i guess unorthodox play is good..."on occasions" :D:P

SonicInspiration
18-11-2003, 11:43 AM
I move my Pawn up twice and try to control the centre of the board, I also just got this sweet chess board too where all the Pieces are shot glasses and i know there is alot of fun to have there.

Cheers
8)

Gandalf
19-11-2003, 11:05 PM
I've seen that board everywhere. It's silly though, because unless you do the boring 4-move-mate you'll be too shattered to differentiate the pieces. Still, an interesting novelty.