PDA

View Full Version : Aussie Top Career Ratings

antichrist
15-03-2009, 11:09 AM
GM Zhao needs 37 FIDE rating points to catch GM Rogers - the countdown begins - just like Hazem El Mastri (my lebo mate) last night gaining the record for highest points scored in rugby league

Bill Gletsos
15-03-2009, 01:25 PM
GM Zhao needs 37 FIDE rating points to catch GM Rogers - the countdown begins - just like Hazem El Mastri (my lebo mate) last night gaining the record for highest points scored in rugby league:doh: :doh: :doh:
As usual you cannot get even the most simple of things correct.

Rogers highest FIDE rating was 2618 on the January 1999 list.
Zhao has a current rating (which is his highest) of 2577.
That is a difference of 41 points.

Now FIDE currently shows Zhao will gain another 6.4 points and will be 2583 on the April 2009 list.
That is a difference of 35 points.

This shows that maths clearly isnt your strong point.
Of course I suspect you dont have a strong point. :hand:

Denis_Jessop
15-03-2009, 01:33 PM
:doh: :doh: :doh:

Now FIDE currently shows Zhao will gain another 6.4 points and will be 2583 on the April 2009 list.

As you may know the 37 points calculation is the work of the Tool in another place so no wonder it's wrong.

Lesson No. 1 (for AC) - Never believe what you read in the Toolbox.

DJ

eclectic
15-03-2009, 01:36 PM
As you may know the 37 points calculation is the work of the Tool in another place so no wonder it's wrong.

DJ

on banking sites there is often a "tools and calculators" link

the abovementioned site is one place where they should not go together

ER
15-03-2009, 03:25 PM
I believe that trying to compare Chess achievements in rating terms between a young and talented Australian GM :clap: and a legend of Australian Chess :clap: who has retired from actual play is pointelss and disrespectful for both!
Whatever statistical merits this comparison has are just that! Statistical details which have only numerical value since they were reached in different chronological eras!
Bear in mind that GM Ian Rogers achieved and kept his highest ever for an Australian player over a period that spanned many decades, whereas GM Zhao is just beginning his, hopefully similarly successful, career in the international arena as a Grand Master!
I don't know if flactuations of rating systems can also be a factor in "comparing" the real value of players.
Whatever the case might be, I maintain that GM Ian Rogers's invaluable contribution to the Australian Chess is not only his undisputable chess playing abilities but his continuous presence in every aspect of our sport apart from his personal and collective (when represented Australia) efforts over the board!
GM Rogers's career achievements can only be an example for following and not a record to break!

antichrist
15-03-2009, 05:18 PM
I believe that trying to compare Chess achievements in rating terms between a young and talented Australian GM :clap: and a legend of Australian Chess :clap: who has retired from actual play is pointelss and disrespectful for both!
Whatever statistical merits this comparison has are just that! Statistical details which have only numerical value since they were reached in different chronological eras!
Bear in mind that GM Ian Rogers achieved and kept his highest ever for an Australian player over a period that spanned many decades, whereas GM Zhao is just beginning his, hopefully similarly successful, career in the international arena as a Grand Master!
I don't know if flactuations of rating systems can also be a factor in "comparing" the real value of players.
Whatever the case might be, I maintain that GM Ian Rogers's invaluable contribution to the Australian Chess is not only his undisputable chess playing abilities but his continuous presence in every aspect of our sport apart from his personal and collective (when represented Australia) efforts over the board!
GM Rogers's career achievements can only be an example for following and not a record to break!

Hey Justa, this is as wordy as one on the books of the Holy Book. In case you didn't know Rogers trained Zhao a fair bit I think.

Oldies I know in the game will show me brilliantcys of Zhao, they remember them in their heads, whereas they never quote me such of GM Rogers or Smerdon. That was why I was picking on Smurf.

antichrist
15-03-2009, 05:24 PM

LIsten Bill, you are the biggest so and so. I have been whinging for weeks for someone to let the board know what the points difference and no one opened their mouth. Now when someone from the opposition does it you get jealous and shoots him down.

Well in good will and greetings I welcome you to share the excitement as Mr Zhao does an El Masri. I wont hold your unco-operation against you.

Isn't Mr Zhao fortunate I forced you to adjust those St George Comp results otherwise he would not have got there so quickly or at all.

Hero I am.

WE have a Lebo Aussie lead the football points and soon a Chinese Aussie lead the chess ratings - poor skippies

Rincewind
15-03-2009, 05:38 PM
Hero I am.

Receiving grammar lessons from Master Yoda you have.

ER
15-03-2009, 05:49 PM
I still maintain that comparisons of this kind are pointless!

Hey Justa, this is as wordy as one on the books of the Holy Book.

Nothing wrong with the Holy Book, bless you!

In case you didn't know Rogers trained Zhao a fair bit I think.

That also speaks volumes for Ian!

Oldies I know in the game will show me brilliantcys of Zhao, they remember them in their heads, whereas they never quote me such of GM Rogers or Smerdon.

Without underestimating Zhao whose talent I praised in my posting, brilliancies can also occur vs weaker opponents. Rogers and/or Smerdon have their own share of those as well as brilliant strategic wins vs GMs. I do not see the point of this!

That was why I was picking on Smurf.

Where does Smerdon fit in this? I think the topic of your thread has to do with Zhao's achieving a better rating than Rogers!

antichrist
15-03-2009, 06:04 PM

So we are looking at a rating difference of either 41 or 35 points at the time of my original asking about 10 days ago.

If my memory is correct (as I cannot find the original posts) the difference in ACF rating was bout 20 points. That is about half of the FIDE rating difference - seems a bit odd to me.

As Pauline Hanson used to tell us when dressed: Please explain.

If FIDE ratings are worth half ACF ratings my FIDE rating would be 3,000 - world champ would be I

Bill Gletsos
15-03-2009, 07:08 PM
Bear in mind that GM Ian Rogers achieved and kept his highest ever for an Australian player over a period that spanned many decadesAC is discussing the subject of highest ever FIDE ratings by an Australian.
Unfortunately your wording suggests Ian's highest FIDE rating was maintained over many decades. That is clearly false.

I suspect what you meant to say was that he achieved and kept his position as Australias highest rated player over a period that spanned many decades.

ER
15-03-2009, 07:37 PM
AC is discussing the subject of highest ever FIDE ratings by an Australian.
Unfortunately your wording suggests Ian's highest FIDE rating was maintained over many decades. That is clearly false.
I meant "his highest" as his best, being the top Australian player in every facet of the sport for a long time, an example for others to follow!
I got out of the ratings argument, referring to other aspects of Ian's contribution to Chess, just to show that such (ratings based) comparisons are pointless!

I suspect what you meant to say was that he achieved and kept his position as Australias highest rated player over a period that spanned many decades.
Exactly! I think my point of view is clearly expresed in the heading as well as the introduction of my posting:

I believe that trying to compare Chess achievements in rating terms between a young and talented Australian GM and a legend of Australian Chess who has retired from actual play is pointelss and disrespectful for both!

Bill Gletsos
15-03-2009, 08:11 PM
So we are looking at a rating difference of either 41 or 35 points at the time of my original asking about 10 days ago.Correct.

If my memory is correct (as I cannot find the original posts) the difference in ACF rating was bout 20 points. That is about half of the FIDE rating difference - seems a bit odd to me.Your memory is as usual faulty. No figure has been made regarding the difference between Roger's and Zhao's highest ACF rating

..........Remaining dribble ignored.

Bill Gletsos
15-03-2009, 08:52 PM
LIsten Bill, you are the biggest so and so. I have been whinging for weeks for someone to let the board know what the points difference and no one opened their mouth.Not my probem that no one answered you here.

Now when someone from the opposition does it you get jealous and shoots him down.Not at all. I just pointed out that the maths were wrong.

Isn't Mr Zhao fortunate I forced you to adjust those St George Comp results otherwise he would not have got there so quickly or at all.You are deluded as ever.

Hero I am.Idiot you are.

Metro
15-03-2009, 10:45 PM
In case you didn't know Rogers trained Zhao a fair bit I think.

This is correct.Zhao calls the the Rogers' his "chess parents".

antichrist
17-03-2009, 06:37 PM

CAn I take this post over there to point out to Mr AO's that he is wrong?

Kevin Bonham
17-03-2009, 06:49 PM
CAn I take this post over there to point out to Mr AO's that he is wrong?

Of course you can - at least as far as we're concerned.

antichrist
17-03-2009, 06:57 PM
Of course you can - at least as far as we're concerned.

You could have told me to go with it and serious consider before returning - ha ha

antichrist
18-03-2009, 06:34 PM

DJ

The Tool has conceded that it was only a guess out of the top of his head. Not bad for a guess, only a few points out. Better than Bill could do for about 2 weeks.

Denis_Jessop
18-03-2009, 08:31 PM
The Tool has conceded that it was only a guess out of the top of his head. Not bad for a guess, only a few points out. Better than Bill could do for about 2 weeks.

The fact that it was a guess to an apparently serious question just shows how irresponsible the Tool is and reinforces my lesson no.1.

DJ

Kevin Bonham
18-03-2009, 08:43 PM
The Tool has conceded that it was only a guess out of the top of his head.

While that would be typical of his feeble, lazy standards, you are still not required to believe his claim that that is what it was.

antichrist
11-06-2011, 10:29 PM
I see that GM Ian Rogers' rating is at 2545 and GM Zhong Yong Zhao's is at 2579. Was that Ian's top rating? (probably not) So who is Oz's top rated player of all time?

I also noticed that Gary Lane is still going very strong but Ian has retired.

Kevin Bonham
11-06-2011, 10:44 PM
I see that GM Ian Rogers' rating is at 2545 and GM Zhong Yong Zhao's is at 2579. Was that Ian's top rating? (probably not) So who is Oz's top rated player of all time?

See post 2.

Garrett
12-06-2011, 05:04 PM
See post 2.

ha ha - which AC replied to.

goldfish

antichrist
12-06-2011, 06:24 PM
ha ha - which AC replied to.

goldfish

I did not post originally in this thread it was t/f over by KB so would not have seen post 2, it was in Lane V Rogers thread

Max Illingworth
11-08-2011, 06:16 AM

I also noticed that Gary Lane is still going very strong but Ian has retired.

Ian's highest ACF rating was over 2700, however I don't know or have access to his exact peak rating.

Bill Gletsos
11-08-2011, 12:33 PM
Ian's highest ACF rating was over 2700, however I don't know or have access to his exact peak rating.Yes Ian reached 2703 in December 1998.

Patrick Byrom
12-08-2011, 02:46 AM
I've written a little program to plot ACF ratings. The data I have (as Qld Ratings Officer) covers the period from 2003 to June 2011 (so far), but it could obviously be extended backwards.

The link is here: http://www.southsidejuniorchessclub.org/ACFRatings.htm.

There are also estimates of ACF rating changes for Qld players since June 2011 here: http://www.caq.org.au/htm/Rating_Changes.htm.

Kevin Bonham
12-08-2011, 03:02 AM
Nice work. A fun application of this is loading up your own graph and loading up that of a ratings-rival and toggling between the two. :lol:

Garrett
12-08-2011, 05:00 AM
I've written a little program to plot ACF ratings.

Good one Pat !! :clap:

ER
12-08-2011, 05:46 AM
Could someone please tell me my Id Number?

Garrett
12-08-2011, 08:00 AM
Could someone please tell me my Id Number?

ER
15-08-2011, 12:10 AM

wow thanks Garrett! :D

lost
18-08-2011, 09:51 PM

Garrett,

What is my ID number as well? Thanks.

lost

Rincewind
18-08-2011, 10:16 PM

Rincewind
18-08-2011, 10:21 PM
Anyone who wants to find out their own ID should go the ACF rating page

http://www.auschess.org.au/ratings/acfrate.htm

From there there is a link to download the latest zipped master file. (Currently it is June 2011).

http://www.auschess.org.au/ratings/jun11/junmst11.zip

Alternatively you can download the current and old master files from my website http://www.bjcox.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=1

In that archive there is a text file which you can open with any text editor and search for your name. Your ID number is the first column, followed by the rating, state association and then name. as so

3119641 1433!! VIC Kenmure, Jamie

Hope this helps.

Garrett
19-08-2011, 01:03 PM
Garrett,

What is my ID number as well? Thanks.

lost

Hi lost

I've only just noticed this post but I see Rincewind has fixed you up.

cheers Garrett.

FM_Bill
24-03-2012, 07:59 PM
In World rankings Ian has been around the 50 mark. I suspect that with many more players, higher standard of play (partly due to computers) and rating inflation Zhong's current Fide ranking will be a number well above 50.

peter_parr
25-03-2012, 11:18 AM
Zong-Yuan Zhao GM AUS is 2556 FIDE
Current ranking is world no 435 (all players), world no 400 (active only).

antichrist
23-04-2013, 06:23 PM
As we believe that Gary Lane was not a Aussie (naturalised) at time of defeating GM Short rating 2697, then is Zong-Yuan Zhao's recent defeat of GM Short the best result by an Australian player?

Kevin Bonham
23-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Short's rating was actually lower at the time Gary beat him than now (though he was much higher ranked) so your silly exclusion of Lane from "Australian" status isn't relevant to the question.

As to whether the 2013 model Nigel Short (2697) is the highest FIDE rated player beaten by an Australian in a classical game, that's an interesting question. Could be he is. I know Smerdon has drawn with several 2700+s but not sure if any Australian has beaten one.

antichrist
23-04-2013, 06:48 PM
Short's rating was actually lower at the time Gary beat him than now (though he was much higher ranked) so your silly exclusion of Lane from "Australian" status isn't relevant to the question.

As to whether the 2013 model Nigel Short (2697) is the highest FIDE rated player beaten by an Australian in a classical game, that's an interesting question. Could be he is. I know Smerdon has drawn with several 2700+s but not sure if any Australian has beaten one.

well it is sort of a draw, but Zhao wins due to certainty of status

Kevin Bonham
23-04-2013, 06:55 PM
In my view highest-ranked opponent beaten and highest-rated opponent beaten are just two different records, so if someone holds one but not the other, that's still interesting.

Bill Gletsos
23-04-2013, 09:02 PM
Ian Rogers beat Portisch as black in 1984 when Lajos was rated 2640 and was I believe number 4 in the world.

Ian beat Korchnoi as black in July 1986 when Victor was rated 2650 and was I believe number 4 in the world.

Ian beat Short as black in 1992 when Nigel was rated 2685 and I believe number 4 in the world.

Ian has also drawn with Anatoly Karpov in 1983 when Karpov was rated 2710 and was world number 1 and World Champion.

antichrist
23-04-2013, 09:12 PM
Ian Rogers beat Portisch as black in 1984 when Lajos was rated 2640 and was I believe number 4 in the world.

Ian beat Korchnoi as black in July 1986 when Victor was rated 2650 and was I believe number 4 in the world.

Ian beat Short as black in 1992 when Nigel was rated 2685 and I believe number 4 in the world.

Ian has also drawn with Anatoly Karpov in 1983 when Karpov was rated 2710 and was world number 1 and World Champion.

WHAT A FANTASTIC RECORD

antichrist
24-04-2013, 12:20 AM
23-04-2013 10:55 PM Bill Gletsos
Adams wasnt in the top 15 of the world when he played Lane in 1993

23-04-2013 10:09 PM lost
The reason why I say this is because Gary Lane won against Michael Adams in 1993 Lloyds tournament in London!

23-04-2013 10:03 PM lost
....and without the inflation of ratings!!

23-04-2013 10:02 PM lost
are we also going to base it on the ratings that were published at the time?

23-04-2013 09:52 PM lost
indeed he did

23-04-2013 09:51 PM Bill Gletsos
Zhao drew with Navara rated 2722 at the 2010 Olympiad

23-04-2013 09:50 PM lost
leonid won against aronian but when aronian was around 2580 or something like this!

23-04-2013 09:50 PM lost
australian*

23-04-2013 09:49 PM lost
just seeing if there was any australia's
23-04-2013 09:48 PM Bill Gletsos

yes Bologan was 2690 at the time

ZYZ also won against Viktor Bolgan in 2010 Olympiad!
23-04-2013 09:45 PM Bill Gletsos
Karpov was number 2 in the world at that time, 10 points behind Kasparov and 10 points ahead of Kramnik

23-04-2013 09:43 PM lost
Interesting Bill!
23-04-2013 09:42 PM Bill Gletsos
The highest rated player Rogers has drawn with is Karpov rated 2775 back in 1996
23-04-2013 09:40 PM Bill Gletsos
The highest rated player Smurf has drawn with is Chucky rated 2734 in 2006
23-04-2013 09:34 PM lost
I can only come up with a draw by Smerdon v Dominguez of Cuba
23-04-2013 06:48 PM Kevin Bonham
has any australian (broadly defined) beaten an opponent rated 2698+ in a rated game?
23-04-2013 06:47 PM Kevin Bonham
now just checking i find that short when beaten by lane was lower rated than now so the question posed by AC is an open one: