PDA

View Full Version : Greatest scientific Discovery.

Space_Dude
12-03-2009, 04:37 PM
What do you think is the greatest scientific break through of all times??

Garrett
12-03-2009, 05:14 PM
interesting

I'll go first - germ theory.

cheers
Garrett

Space_Dude
12-03-2009, 06:15 PM
interesting

I'll go first - germ theory.

cheers
Garrett
germ theory??

Spiny Norman
12-03-2009, 06:22 PM
I'll go first - germ theory
+1

Ian Murray
12-03-2009, 06:44 PM
Agriculture, allowing man to progress from hunter/gatherer to civilisation builder

eclectic
12-03-2009, 06:47 PM
calculus

Space_Dude
12-03-2009, 06:50 PM
calculus
Is that a break through thou??

ER
12-03-2009, 07:03 PM
as well as a ballbreaking one! :P

Rincewind
12-03-2009, 10:50 PM

It was a phenomenal one and it was the one I thought of as I was paging down reading the responses. Mathematics is the language of science (Galileo said something like that) and most of the natural laws are governed by differential equations. Navier Stokes equations (fluid mechanics), Schodinger wave equation (quantum mechanics), Maxwell's equations (electromagnetism) are all written in the language of calculus.

Desmond
12-03-2009, 11:38 PM
a sharpened stone

Capablanca-Fan
13-03-2009, 01:27 AM
germ theory??
Yeah, that many diseases are caused by micro-organisms. It's a reasonable suggestion by Garrett, given that this has saved millions of lives.

Capablanca-Fan
13-03-2009, 01:33 AM
Sure, calculus is very damaging to your teeth, being a storehouse of harmful bacteria (cf. germ theory, supra). So it's a great discovery on your dentist's part because he can break through it and remove it with special tools and prevent gingivitis then periodontitis.

Igor_Goldenberg
13-03-2009, 08:14 AM
The biggest scientific/technological breakthrough was the printing press.
It allowed quicker dissemination of information/knowledge, thus becoming the basis of the scientific/technological development that followed.

Garrett
13-03-2009, 09:47 AM
some great ideas here. I guess the 'greatest' would depend on what criteria is used to judge i.e. greatest impact on humanity, greatest awareness raiser, greatest technical achievement.

I remember watching a fascinating discovery channel program where they were discussing the 10 greatest breakthoughs. From memory the list was :-

Microscope
Copernicus model of solar system.
Newtons laws of physics.
Mendels genetics
periodic table of elements
penicillen
germ theory
specific relativity
general relativity
theory of evolution.

cheers
Garrett.

Basil
13-03-2009, 11:38 AM
The Apple Mac

Desmond
13-03-2009, 12:16 PM
:lol:

kjenhager
13-03-2009, 12:51 PM
Fire
The Wheel

Garrett
13-03-2009, 02:11 PM
The Apple Mac

yeah Apples great, I’ve only just bought a new laptop and then they bring this out. Darn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA&feature=channel

Rincewind
13-03-2009, 05:16 PM
Fire
The Wheel

Writing.

Garrett
13-03-2009, 07:12 PM
Writing.

can you define what you understand by 'scientific breakthough' ?

Otherwise discovering what your penis is for is going to rate pretty high.

cheers
Garrett.

kjenhager
13-03-2009, 07:26 PM

cheers
Garrett.
LOL

Rincewind
13-03-2009, 08:03 PM

Surely that is a question for DeMann. ;)

Space_Dude
14-03-2009, 11:24 AM
yeah Apples great, I’ve only just bought a new laptop and then they bring this out. Darn.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9BnLbv6QYcA&feature=channel
it seems that that wheels gonna take longer to type then with an actual keyboard... I dont like a single bit...

Garrett
14-03-2009, 11:39 AM
it seems that that wheels gonna take longer to type then with an actual keyboard... I dont like a single bit...

yeah but there's a $300-00 cashback deal on at the moment Tony so I might get one anyway !

AzureBlue
14-03-2009, 11:46 AM
The Discovery of ... SCIENCE.

Miranda
14-03-2009, 12:15 PM
:wall:

Basil
14-03-2009, 12:46 PM
it seems blah blah blah... I dont like a single bit...
This is what the boneheads, market, PC heads many people said about most of mac's innovations which now pervade just about every aspect of commercial computer software and design.

Blackberry? Which high-powered pc exec pinched that, had that idea auto-suggested decided to take a risk with a name of a fruit?

83nS4EGKU04

These comps were sold as
• Blueberry :doh: :wall: :uhoh:
• Tangerine
• Grape
• Orange
• Lime

I have another 100 examples. I'll do a simul with you and Boris if you like ;)

My favourite of all time (and there have been a few contenders) was when mac did away with the floppy drive on their computers (the model in the clip actually) and the PC heads laughed themselves silly over that - until they followed suit about four years later :wall:

Carry on! Albeit slowly

Space_Dude
14-03-2009, 12:59 PM
yeah but there's a $300-00 cashback deal on at the moment Tony so I might get one anyway !
it said on the video, that it will be out in bout 5 months... thats a long time!!

Miranda
14-03-2009, 06:59 PM
These comps were sold as
• Tangerine
• Grape
• Orange
• Lime

They have a pretty cool design.

Tony: I repeat, :wall:

Space_Dude
14-03-2009, 07:02 PM
They have a pretty cool design.

Tony: I repeat, :wall:
I still like window products better, probably cause i grew up with it and never owned an Apple. and Apple designs are too plain... i really dont want to cause an argument thou.

eclectic
14-03-2009, 07:06 PM
These comps were sold as

Karpov and Korchnoi would argue over which of them would have that or Bilberry :confused:

Basil
14-03-2009, 07:13 PM
I still like window products better
Windows products are software.

Apple designs are too plain
I assume you favour the garish snap-together products produced for a buck fifty by no-name manufacturers in second-world countries. Yes, there's a market for them and appalling taste is not a crime.

If you still hold that opinion as an adult, we can have a far more insulting version of this conversation that'll dig so deep into your psyche, you'll call your children Panther and Tangerine ;)

Miranda
14-03-2009, 09:15 PM
OK, I have given up on Tony and the laptop.

Anyway, I think Apple has good taste in design (I am on my 3rd iPod) but I prefer Windows computers simply because they're better. :)

Basil
14-03-2009, 09:45 PM
... but I prefer Windows computers simply because they're better. :)
Your argument is devastating. I shall withdraw :hand: :whistle:

Miranda
14-03-2009, 09:53 PM
You're argument is devastating. I shall withdraw :hand: :whistle:
Your grammar is appalling :P

Basil
14-03-2009, 10:35 PM
aaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhh

:lol: :wall:

It's actually my spelling not my grammar, but at this rate I have bigger problems than picking you up on that.

Footnote 1: I had to change my original - couldn't bear to look at it.
Footnote 2: Borrowing from Winston Churchill, my typo will be corrected in the morning, your taste in software ...

antichrist
15-03-2009, 05:33 PM
aaaaaarrrrrrghhhhhh

:lol: :wall:

It's actually my spelling not my grammar, but at this rate I have bigger problems than picking you up on that.

Footnote 1: I had to change my original - couldn't bear to look at it.
Footnote 2: Borrowing from Winston Churchill, my typo will be corrected in the morning, your taste in a software will be awful for a lifetime.

don't worry Gunner, when you get to my age these mistakes become everyday occurrences and you learn to just go with the flow. You use them as a weapon to irritate coz they stop you trolling eventually.

Rincewind
22-04-2009, 10:20 AM

A physicist, a mathematician, and a mystic were asked to name the greatest invention of all time. The physicist chose the fire, which gave humanity the power over matter. The mathematician chose the alphabet, which gave humanity power over symbols. The mystic chose the thermos bottle.

"Why a thermos bottle?" the others asked.
"Because the thermos keeps hot liquids hot in winter and cold liquids cold in summer."
"Yes - so what?"
"Think about it." said the mystic reverently. That little bottle - how does it know?"

(Refer posts #17 and #19)

Oepty
22-04-2009, 05:55 PM
Oxygen and its part in sustaining human life
Scott

Schu
14-06-2009, 11:15 PM
semiconductors

DNA

universal gravitation, and more generally, the idea of forces (and perhaps even more generally, as has already been mentioned, calculus)

Igor_Goldenberg
17-06-2009, 09:40 AM
The Apple Mac
OK, what is the second greatest scientific discovery?

Rincewind
19-06-2009, 11:25 AM
OK, what is the second greatest scientific discovery?

Vaccination.

Capablanca-Fan
11-11-2014, 08:32 AM
Vaccination.

Quite a sensible answer.

Kevin Bonham
14-11-2014, 11:49 AM
Posts moved

AC's attempts to argue against vaccination on the grounds of it allegedly causing overpopulation, and all replies, have been moved to a new thread in the Politics section:

http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?15684-Overpopulation-(sf-greatest-scientific-discovery)

[edit: as usual any comments on moderation decisions, including positive ones, should go to the Help and Feedback section.]

antichrist
22-11-2014, 12:51 PM
The greatest discovery/invention I consider the splitting of the atom - even though I am against such splitting in all circumstances that I am aware of.

Adamski
22-11-2014, 12:59 PM
The greatest discovery/invention I consider the splitting of the atom - even though I am against such splitting in all circumstances that I am aware of.Yes, it is up there with the top few. Rutherford was of course a Kiwi...

Kaitlin
21-04-2015, 11:41 AM
:eh:

Dark matter is ghostly and non-interactive

A new study of colliding galaxies has found that the mysterious substance called dark matter doesn't even interact with itself. The new research shows how clumps of dark matter pass right through each other without any effect, while the surrounding gas and stars continue to interact normally...