PDA

View Full Version : Internet Browsers

Space_Dude
07-03-2009, 08:51 AM
Which browser works the best on your computer?? I prefer the Google Chrome cause its fast and simple!

Ian Murray
07-03-2009, 09:58 AM
What about Opera, Safari and SeaMonkey?

If you want speed Safari 4 currently claims pole position, although contested by Chrome and claimed to be overtaken with the next Firefox release. It's arguable, depending on who does the measuring and how.

If security vulnerabilites are your prime concern, Firefox and Opera are safest, but again it's all relative. Chrome is secretive about its security patches.

Rincewind
07-03-2009, 10:09 AM
If you want speed Safari 4 currently claims pole position, although contested by Chrome and claimed to be overtaken with the next Firefox release.

Which release is that planned for? v3.0.7 has just been released (March 4 in the US) but the changes seem to be bug and security patches.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0.7/releasenotes/

Ian Murray
07-03-2009, 02:56 PM
Which release is that planned for? v3.0.7 has just been released (March 4 in the US) but the changes seem to be bug and security patches.

http://www.mozilla.com/en-US/firefox/3.0.7/releasenotes/
I was looking at http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10031278-92.html where Mozilla says v3.1 (yet to be released) tests faster than Chrome

Rincewind
07-03-2009, 03:23 PM
I was looking at http://news.cnet.com/8301-1001_3-10031278-92.html where Mozilla says v3.1 (yet to be released) tests faster than Chrome

Mmmm... that is just javascript speed. The thing slowing down browsing for most people is I think just bandwidth limitations. Some multithreading software can help with that if it is the server that is squeezing the pipe but apart from that what can you do?

Ian Murray
07-03-2009, 08:50 PM
Mmmm... that is just javascript speed. The thing slowing down browsing for most people is I think just bandwidth limitations. Some multithreading software can help with that if it is the server that is squeezing the pipe but apart from that what can you do?
JS seems to be the current benchmark for the mine's-faster-than-yours hype. I don't think it matters too much to most of us whether we can pick up a microsecond or two here or there.

AzureBlue
07-03-2009, 09:07 PM
FIREFOX!! :)

Ian Murray
07-03-2009, 09:25 PM
I suspect Jenny is a Firefox fan

AzureBlue
08-03-2009, 08:03 AM
mhm :)
lol :lol:

Space_Dude
08-03-2009, 10:10 AM
Wats so good about FireFox anyhow??

Ian Murray
08-03-2009, 10:59 AM
Apart from the features and add-ons (now mimicked by the others), I like Firefox because its creators (Mozilla Foundation) had the cojones to take on Microsoft when IE totally controlled the market. They did us all a great service, offering a better product free of charge and forcing MS to improve its product.

As did Netscape Navigator of course, the difference being that Firefox has succeeded while Netscape couldn't gain a critical mass in market share.

AzureBlue
08-03-2009, 02:01 PM
umm..
because:
1. Firefox is Awesome.
2. Firefox is Awesome
3. Firefox is Awesome
4. Firefox is Awesome
5. Firefox is Awesome
6. Firefox is Awesome
7. Firefox is Awesome
8. Firefox is Awesome
9. Firefox is Awesome
10. Firefox is Awesome
11. Firefox is Awesome.
12. Firefox is Awesome
13. Firefox is Awesome
14. Firefox is Awesome
15. Firefox is Awesome
16. Firefox is Awesome
17. Firefox is Awesome
18. Firefox is Awesome
19. Firefox is Awesome
20. Firefox is Awesome

Need I say more? :lol:

Ian Murray
08-03-2009, 02:28 PM
Of course the 20 features mentioned by AzureBlue are also important

littlesprout85
08-03-2009, 03:19 PM
lol,

Sprouty took the advice meh got from the crew on this thread, Went with FireFox-Mozilla- :cool:

Meh will neva turn back to IE - the speed factor is way better than the standard quo. Thanks Everyone for the Help in here :clap:

FIREFOX MAKES SPROUTY RAWR !!!!!

-Sprout85

Space_Dude
08-03-2009, 03:55 PM
lol,

Sprouty took the advice meh got from the crew on this thread, Went with FireFox-Mozilla- :cool:

Meh will neva turn back to IE - the speed factor is way better than the standard quo. Thanks Everyone for the Help in here :clap:

-Sprout85
Google Chrome is Faster... Just saying...

AzureBlue
08-03-2009, 04:38 PM
:)

littlesprout85
08-03-2009, 05:49 PM
Eeky,

Sprouty has just encountered first drawback to having Mozilla.

This drawback is in the way some anti-viruses dont update thru mozilla:eek:

Meh Anti-virus software is good thru IE - so this could post a problem up in Here - AUGH !!!!!!!!!:cry:

-Sprout85 =)

Ian Murray
08-03-2009, 06:31 PM

Using the Javascript benchmark the difference is negligible - see chart (source: http://dan.hersam.com/2009/02/25/windows-browser-speed-comparison)

Once you add in a bundle of the great extensions on offer for Firefox, there is a quid-pro-quo to pay in performance, but worth it

Ian Murray
08-03-2009, 06:40 PM
Eeky,

Sprouty has just encountered first drawback to having Mozilla.

This drawback is in the way some anti-viruses dont update thru mozilla:eek:

Meh Anti-virus software is good thru IE - so this could post a problem up in Here - AUGH !!!!!!!!!:cry:

-Sprout85 =)

You've lost me here, sprootzy. Updates to virus signature files should be completely independent of the web browser, auto-downloaded in the background. I've used Norton and McAfee is the past, and currently Panda, and that's how they work. Which one are you using

Sinister
08-03-2009, 07:08 PM
I'm with DeMann on this... Google chrome is faster but all its apps. aren't available 'till mid this year

Ian Murray
08-03-2009, 08:18 PM
I'm with DeMann on this... Google chrome is faster but all its apps. aren't available 'till mid this year

At your age security is not a great concern (I'm assuming you don't have internet access to substantial assets such as those accumulated by adults over decades).

When one's assets are at potential risk, you go for the browser with the best track record of security protection and vulnerability patching. The choice is Firefox or Opera, e.g. see www.info-svc.com/news/2008/12-12/

Capablanca-Fan
09-03-2009, 11:42 AM
Using the Javascript benchmark the difference is negligible - see chart (source: http://dan.hersam.com/2009/02/25/windows-browser-speed-comparison)
IE is by far the slowest according to that. Oops, that's what I use. I've tried Firefox a couple of times but didn't like it, and Chrome seems still a bit beta-ish.

littlesprout85
09-03-2009, 07:28 PM
ermmmmm,

Dont know about the situation enough to describe it better than that murrays.:doh:

Went out and got some new anti-virus software and DL it. Seems to up and fine again now. Hopefully between the two they can battle over da internet worms and bugs for top gun rights. :eek:

-Sprout85 =)

Rincewind
09-03-2009, 07:32 PM
IE is by far the slowest according to that. Oops, that's what I use. I've tried Firefox a couple of times but didn't like it, and Chrome seems still a bit beta-ish.

I think a lot of these speed test stats are next to useless for evaluating browser performance. For most people whether a javascript takes 1 ms or 1.1 ms to run doesn't make a huge difference to their online experience.

I'm a FireFox fan though. I love the app, the add ons, and the sticking it to the MicroSoft man attitude. :)

Ian Murray
09-03-2009, 08:07 PM
ermmmmm,

Dont know about the situation enough to describe it better than that murrays.:doh:

Went out and got some new anti-virus software and DL it. Seems to up and fine again now. Hopefully between the two they can battle over da internet worms and bugs for top gun rights. :eek:

-Sprout85 =)
Running two AV packages may be counterproductive - McAfee and Norton, for example, are mutually exclusive and one of them has to be unistalled before using the other. However that may be simply bastardry between rivals with no technical justification.

If yours is workin Ok, fine.

littlesprout85
09-03-2009, 08:29 PM
LOL ,

Shhhhhh - murrays dont say that too loud or they might start fighting each other when no bugs are present :doh:

Will look into uninstalling one of em- probably the first one that let the critters thru in da first place & doesnt like to auto update thru mozilla :eh:

Thanks alot Murrays for the sound advice,

-Sprout85 =)

Ian Murray
09-03-2009, 08:51 PM
LOL ,

Shhhhhh - murrays dont say that too loud or they might start fighting each other when no bugs are present :doh:

Will look into uninstalling one of em- probably the first one that let the critters thru in da first place & doesnt like to auto update thru mozilla :eh:

Thanks alot Murrays for the sound advice,

-Sprout85 =)
Caveat - follow my advice at your own risk! :lol:

Desmond
10-03-2009, 08:35 AM
Running two AV packages may be counterproductive - McAfee and Norton, for example, are mutually exclusive and one of them has to be unistalled before using the other. However that may be simply bastardry between rivals with no technical justification.

If yours is workin Ok, fine.Yesh AV programs usually think that other AV programs are viruses themselves!

Davidflude
10-03-2009, 06:42 PM
You've lost me here, sprootzy. Updates to virus signature files should be completely independent of the web browser, auto-downloaded in the background. I've used Norton and McAfee is the past, and currently Panda, and that's how they work. Which one are you using

I use Panda and I really like it.

Ian Murray
10-03-2009, 07:05 PM
I use Panda and I really like it.

Likewise. Apart from the logo (as an erstwhile WWF member, I respond to pandas!) I bought it because it also bundled auto full-system backup with AV and the firewall. The backup option proved to be less than I wanted, but the AV and firewall measure up against the others.

Desmond
10-03-2009, 07:35 PM
Bullguard is meant to be quite good.

Miranda
10-03-2009, 07:37 PM
I like IE as a browser because most sites are designed for it; however I have found that it loads quite slowly when I am at school. I use Chrome when I'm at school, as it loads much quicker...

Davidflude
10-03-2009, 10:11 PM
I have downloaded Safari Beta 4 for windows. It looks nice but i do not know whether it is much faster than other browsers.

eclectic
10-03-2009, 10:15 PM
... Safari Beta 4(??)...

and they STILL can't get it right!!

:owned:

;)

Basil
10-03-2009, 10:35 PM
and they STILL can't get it right!!

:owned:

;)
That's right, but the joke's on Windows, dummy :wall: ;)

Denis_Jessop
11-03-2009, 11:09 AM
Speed is not everything and I don't much like Safari anyway - it looks like something out of the Ark. I'm glad to see that, as shouted by Ian Murray, Opera and Firefox are relatively the most secure as they are my two favourites in that order, though not for that reason. Incidentally, for people who may still think that software for the Mac is hard to come by, I currently have 6 browsers on my iMac (Safari, Opera, Firefox, iCab, OmniWeb and Browser) and there are more where they came from. I am an eclectic browser :D

DJ

ER
11-03-2009, 02:58 PM

Yes, but which particular one? :rolleyes: :hmm:

Ian Murray
11-03-2009, 07:02 PM
Speed is not everything and I don't much like Safari anyway - it looks like something out of the Ark. I'm glad to see that, as shouted by Ian Murray, Opera and Firefox are relatively the most secure as they are my two favourites in that order, though not for that reason. Incidentally, for people who may still think that software for the Mac is hard to come by, I currently have 6 browsers on my iMac (Safari, Opera, Firefox, iCab, OmniWeb and Browser) and there are more where they came from. I am an eclectic browser :D

I'm like Denis - one browser is nowhere near enough. Running on my desktop are Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey, Safari, Chrome and IE6 (I refuse to update). As a webmaster of sorts, I check my product on all of them. Otherwise Firefox is my standard, while I use Opera set up with Chesschat as the home page. IE is only for Windows updates, which MS ensures don't work with others.

Ian Murray
11-03-2009, 09:53 PM
Yes, but which particular one? :rolleyes: :hmm:

It's hard to split them - I'm inclined to rank them all more or less equally :)

Kevin Bonham
11-03-2009, 10:39 PM
I recently found out that Firefox takes its name from an alternative name for the exceedingly cute red panda (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Red_Panda).

I switched from IE to Firefox for most things because IE crashed too often. I'm now finding Firefox crashes sometimes too but that's probably because I haven't updated it in yonks. Generally I have a reluctance to update programs in case they fail to work on my system in some unexpected way in the new version.

Basil
11-03-2009, 11:54 PM
Generally I have a reluctance to update programs in case they fail to work on my system in some unexpected way in the new version.
I'd hazard that's your Microsoft self-defence mechanism twitch kicking in! It's OK and good and healthy and progressive to upgrade - often - when MS isn't involved.

Davidflude
11-03-2009, 11:55 PM
After looking at Safari I prefer Firefox.

Basil
11-03-2009, 11:58 PM
I wonder what Safari looks like on a PC *shudders*
Bill, can you assist with a fair assessment?

Ian Murray
12-03-2009, 07:49 PM

I've used the Mac version on rare occasions, with no particular impression made, good or bad

On PC it's pretty ordinary, although Firefox enhancements can be imported

Saragossa
13-03-2009, 11:07 PM
Anybody tried the new minefield? I heard it was supposed to be props but haven't actually tried it.

Ian Murray
14-03-2009, 10:29 PM
I'm now running Firefox 3.1 Beta. She is quick!

Dougy
15-03-2009, 09:30 AM
I use Chrome on my Windows PC, while Firefox on the Linux machine since there isn't a Linux version of Chrome yet.

AzureBlue
17-03-2009, 10:05 PM
I'm now running Firefox 3.1 Beta. She is quick!
Yeah, and less dodgy (error, needs to close) than IE.

Ian Murray
18-03-2009, 07:44 PM
Yeah, and less dodgy (error, needs to close) than IE.

Less everything than IE

Basil
18-03-2009, 08:14 PM
IE being the browser that was bundled free with Windoze which snipped Netscape.

Hello. Any of you planks actually home and have the benefit of having the lights on? Do I have to do the thinking for every blinking one of you?

Morans*! The lot of you
*Copyright Boris

Denis_Jessop
18-03-2009, 08:44 PM
Morans*! The lot of you
*Copyright Boris

I assume that this is a reference to Col. Sebastian Moran (chief offsider of Prof. Moriarty) who, as you will recall, had a potshot at a wax bust of Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure of the Empty House". (I am indebted to Dr John H Watson MD for this information.)

DJ

Basil
18-03-2009, 09:47 PM
I assume that this is a reference to Col. Sebastian Moran (chief offsider of Prof. Moriarty) who, as you will recall, had a potshot at a wax bust of Sherlock Holmes in "The Adventure of the Empty House". (I am indebted to Dr John H Watson MD for this information.)

DJ
Alas no, not a reference - and indeed I am left entirely wanting. Mine was a much simpler and cruder reference to a funny that Boris put up in one of the (many) Tool debunking threads (Tool's own deplorable grammar and spelling IIRC).

Adamski
18-03-2009, 09:57 PM
lol,

FIREFOX MAKES SPROUTY RAWR !!!!!

-Sprout85Also, I have found Mozilla Firefox to be much more reliable than IE. For some reason my IE often "breaks". Now I hardly ever use it.

Adamski
18-03-2009, 10:02 PM
IE is by far the slowest according to that. Oops, that's what I use. I've tried Firefox a couple of times but didn't like it, and Chrome seems still a bit beta-ish.What didn't you like about Firefox, Jono? It sings! Try latest download.

Adamski
18-03-2009, 10:32 PM
I'm like Denis - one browser is nowhere near enough. Running on my desktop are Firefox, Opera, SeaMonkey, Safari, Chrome and IE6 (I refuse to update). As a webmaster of sorts, I check my product on all of them. Otherwise Firefox is my standard, while I use Opera set up with Chesschat as the home page. IE is only for Windows updates, which MS ensures don't work with others.Yes I too have many browsers: Mozilla, Flock (Netscape update), Safari and IE. And yes I have to use IE for MS Windows updates too. Not much else.

Desmond
19-03-2009, 09:28 AM
This was the one Gunner refers to...

http://memewatch.com/thelist/archives/pix/morans.jpg

Mephistopheles
24-03-2009, 10:14 AM
Bill may or may not be able to but I can. The version that I used looked very much like the Mac version but with the standard(ish) window manipulation widgets at the top right and the menu bar contained within the appliation window. That is, of course, one of my major gripes with Windows. The amount of screen real estate regained is negligible and it essentially breaks Fitts's Law.

It was also crash-prone and buggy.

I use Safari almost exclusively on the Mac as Firefox, although its looks have improved, remains as slow as a wet week on that platform.

Sinister
28-03-2009, 06:06 PM
I use safari every now and then. It is pretty darn good :)

Ian Murray
29-03-2009, 01:36 PM
Firefox grabs pole position!

http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp

Capablanca-Fan
16-04-2009, 09:25 PM
Also, I have found Mozilla Firefox to be much more reliable than IE. For some reason my IE often "breaks". Now I hardly ever use it.
I've just sacked IE; one bloody crash too many. I'll probably have to use it for certain updates though. My wife and a number of my colleagues like Firefox 3, but I'm trying Chrome (e.g. right now).

Xlh8gSF_hhE

Miranda
16-04-2009, 10:10 PM
I've just sacked IE; one bloody crash too many. I'll probably have to use it for certain updates though. My wife and a number of my colleagues like Firefox 3, but I'm trying Chrome (e.g. right now).

I've found that Chrome and Firefox are fairly similar... For now, I use Firefox as my main browser, as some websites have compatibility issues with Chrome.

AzureBlue
17-04-2009, 12:18 PM
I've found that Chrome and Firefox are fairly similar... For now, I use Firefox as my main browser, as some websites have compatibility issues with Chrome.
Never tried Chrome - is it fast?

Space_Dude
17-04-2009, 12:27 PM
Never tried Chrome - is it fast?
hell yeah! It's very fast!!

Capablanca-Fan
17-04-2009, 12:39 PM
Which ones? [Edit: found some where there is a sign-in page, and am having trouble with ChessChat right now:

This webpage is not available.

The webpage at http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=9739 might be temporarily down or it may have moved permanently to a new web address.

More information on this error
Below is the original error message

Error 320 (net::ERR_INVALID_RESPONSE): Unknown error.

FF certainly has an excellent reputation around here by people who know what they're talking about. [Edit: I'm using it right now]

Kevin Bonham
17-04-2009, 12:49 PM
Finally upgraded to Firefox 3. Upgrade was quick and painless.

AzureBlue
17-04-2009, 01:53 PM
hell yeah! It's very fast!!
Cool, faster than firefox?

Space_Dude
17-04-2009, 02:21 PM
Cool, faster than firefox?
hell yeah!
and good security.!

Sinister
17-04-2009, 03:05 PM
hell yeah!
and good security.!
and it is easier to use

Basil
17-04-2009, 03:13 PM
If you guys can get this much satisfaction from switching browsers, imagine what mac users have been rabbiting on about for years by switching OS!

AzureBlue
17-04-2009, 04:56 PM
Well, I guess I'm just happy with firefox; doesn't stuff up all the time like IE ("Internet Explorer has an error and needs to close").

Taigastyle
17-04-2009, 05:29 PM
IE is rubbish

Firefox is good

Chrome is fast and reliable.

Chrome :)

Miranda
17-04-2009, 05:36 PM
Which ones? [Edit: found some where there is a sign-in page, and am having trouble with ChessChat right now:
]
Yes, exactly. Also a lot of internal school webpages are configured for IE and have problems when you open them with FF or Chrome

Kevin Bonham
17-04-2009, 08:01 PM
If you guys can get this much satisfaction from switching browsers, imagine what mac users have been rabbiting on about for years by switching OS!

I only switched from mainly using Macs to PCs about ten years ago because all the really strong chess software was for the latter.

Basil
17-04-2009, 08:19 PM
I only switched from mainly using Macs to PCs about ten years ago because all the really strong chess software was for the latter.
:eek: !!!

Capablanca-Fan
18-04-2009, 09:55 AM
Yes, exactly. Also a lot of internal school webpages are configured for IE and have problems when you open them with FF or Chrome
I must wonder if there is something wrong at my office network. At home it works fine: I'm typing this on Chrome, and one site I couldn't get to works OK too. But there is still my website adminstration that gives me:

Bad Request

Your browser sent a request that this server could not understand.
Apache/2.2.8 (Ubuntu) Server at creation.com Port 80

So it seems Firefox is the most useful browser generally, at least until Chrome fixes more of the teething problems.

It seems widely agreed that IE sux.

Rincewind
18-04-2009, 11:47 AM

Have you tried installing the IEtab add on to FF and run the pages through that?
I used to use that add on a while ago but frankly haven't needed to for some time now as most web designers are planning for a FF client.

Ian Murray
18-04-2009, 03:53 PM
Have you tried installing the IEtab add on to FF and run the pages through that?
I used to use that add on a while ago but frankly haven't needed to for some time now as most web designers are planning for a FF client.

The current compatible equivalent (up to FF 3.1.b2) is Coral IE Tab (https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/firefox/addon/10909). Once installed it should work seamlessly across FF and IE

Basil
18-04-2009, 05:18 PM
I'm suspicious about Miranda's use of the term 'school's pages are configured'. It could be that her teachers are A-grade planks using out-moded non cross-platform software to create an appalling intranet designed to be read natively by and for their own limited PC IE mental enclosures :whistle: Wouldn't be the first time.

Ian Murray
18-04-2009, 11:03 PM
I'm suspicious about Miranda's use of the term 'school's pages are configured'. It could be that her teachers are A-grade planks using out-moded non cross-platform software to create an appalling intranet designed to be read natively by and for their own limited PC IE mental enclosures :whistle: Wouldn't be the first time.

Very true - a steam-powered school intranet probably is the problem

Space_Dude
19-04-2009, 07:12 AM
All my schools computers are going to be replaced with brand new ones.

Rincewind
19-04-2009, 10:48 AM
Very true - a steam-powered school intranet probably is the problem

What things are like at Miranda's school...

ZQRc1AYuOlg

Capablanca-Fan
19-04-2009, 07:46 PM
Which browser is fastest, according to a number of different tests? (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2335242,00.asp)
John Brandon
24 November 2008

If you can't be bothered reading through all the pages, here is the conclusion (http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,2845,2335256,00.asp).

Capablanca-Fan
21-04-2009, 11:39 PM
Now I'm using Chrome as my default, as it works quickly, the tabs and home page are good, and it doesn't crash nearly as often. For the few sites where it doesn't work, I now use Firefox 3. IE8 is now used only for Windows updates.

Mephistopheles
22-04-2009, 01:35 PM
I wish you well and I hope that Google's Bureau of information does not collate too much of your personal information. With Rudd's great firewall of Australia forthcoming and Google being generally co-operative with such ventures, you might find yourself dragged off to the Gulag as a result of your browser choice.

But seriously, folks, rendering speed is probably not the most important thing about a web browser as it is rarely the actual bottleneck in any case (although it is becoming more so). Unless a browser is painfully slow, I will not judge it on its speed. A page being rendered in 3 seconds versus 5 seconds makes very little difference to me but usability, features, security and any number of other considerations are of high importance.

Capablanca-Fan
22-04-2009, 02:00 PM
I wish you well and I hope that Google's Bureau of information does not collate too much of your personal information. With Rudd's great firewall of Australia forthcoming and Google being generally co-operative with such ventures, you might find yourself dragged off to the Gulag as a result of your browser choice.
Thanx. Hmm, that could be a problem. Google cooperated with Communist China's censorship, and we know how much Chairman KRudd loves that country.

But seriously, folks, rendering speed is probably not the most important thing about a web browser as it is rarely the actual bottleneck in any case (although it is becoming more so). Unless a browser is painfully slow, I will not judge it on its speed. A page being rendered in 3 seconds versus 5 seconds makes very little difference to me but usability, features, security and any number of other considerations are of high importance.
Fair enough. Chrome seems easiest to use for most sites, although there are some that are hard to access from the office if they involve logging in. IE just seems a lot slower than Chrome and FF; I've had fewer crashes since I fired it.

Capablanca-Fan
08-06-2009, 06:39 PM
With a replacement computer for work, Chrome has had no trouble accessing sites.

Kevin Bonham
19-05-2011, 03:47 PM
Recently installed Chrome as Firefox 3 was often slow to open. Chrome seems to be much faster to start up on my computer.

Chrome has some deficiencies, in particular I find it doesn't do all the mod functions here smoothly and it seems to struggle when running multiple tabs alongside memory-heavy programs. So I may use it and Firefox 4 alternately depending on what I'm doing.

One thing I very much like about Chrome is that it retains a long list of most visited websites, which for someone who likes stats and rankings and stuff like that is irresistable. Firefox does this too but it differentiates poorly between parts of a page. On Chrome, eight top pages are routinely displayed but by closing parts of that display repeatedly I have been able to get up to 33.

An issue I had with Chrome that was not its fault at all was that it was triggering sudden BSOD crashes with win32k.sys indicated as the location. This turned out after much digging to be caused by a known fault in a security update from two years ago, the security update being of course produced by Microsoft.
This blog entry (http://www.marcusmccurdy.com/2009/03/05/win32ksys-blue-screen-of-death-and-how-to-fix-it/) was very helpful to me in finding out how to diagnose and fix it, quite a complex process but great to be able to do stuff like this without having to pay for it.

Rincewind
03-08-2011, 11:20 AM
What do people make of this...

Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878)

Internet Explorer users have a lower than average IQ, according to research by Consulting firm AptiQuant.

It has prompted a minor edit to the sigline. ;)

Kevin Bonham
03-08-2011, 01:05 PM

If it was true then I'd make of it that people with higher than average IQs are more likely to be computer-literate and aware that other browsers exist and are in many respects superior.

I like "The report has sparked anger from IE supporters, who have threatened AptiQuant with legal action." because in the case of the IE supporters in question, such threats actually confirm the claimed study findings.

However, I don't really credit that IE users would average in the low eighties. I suspect people who are below the low eighties by and large make relatively little use of the internet full stop.

It has prompted a minor edit to the sigline. ;)

Nice. :lol:

I have bounced backwards and forwards between Firefox and Chrome for a while now but have pretty much gone back to Firefox at the moment.

antichrist
03-08-2011, 01:36 PM
where does Bing Lee come in all of this?

Saragossa
03-08-2011, 01:42 PM
I have a super quick browsing speed because I use LucidPuppy as my OS when browsing. It runs off your RAM, essentially, so anything you open is already opened. If I need to do anything worthwhile I switch to Kubuntu. Besides this point I use firefox now. I was a Chrome user but I hate Google. I also now search with duckduckgo.com

littlesprout85
03-08-2011, 11:39 PM
EEEeeeKYyy !!!!!

Ummm wat sarragossa is doing -using dat ram would just kill dino oh so quickly !!!! :eek:

Sproutums dinosour of a pc doesnt even have 32 mbs of ram. So sprouty wouldnt ever even attempt to run anythang like wat saragossa is doing to gain dl speed off da browser like dat on dino.:whistle:

Sproutys dad all upgraded ems laptop with the newest safeguards & also some kinda online gaming turbo. Might be awsomes when it comes time to set that Space InVadeRs highScore, right now meh in second place. Got that highscore with dino late one nite :P

Sprouts has two pcs-one being a dino & da other a beastie laptop(alien technology) with ram that saragossa could be proud of :clap:

Um Meh dad is suggesting strongly that sprouty get another browser & have two browsers. Just in case of being highjacked mainly ems said. Is there any merit to wat meh dad is proposing here :?

-Sprout85 =)

Hobbes
04-08-2011, 11:26 AM

Internet Explorer users have lower IQ says study (http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878)

Internet Explorer users have a lower than average IQ, according to research by Consulting firm AptiQuant.

Http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878

Rincewind
04-08-2011, 02:29 PM
Http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-14370878

Well 80's was quite a significant and unexpected result as Kevin highlighted. Still I still feel my sigline is not in need of change. :)

Capablanca-Fan
04-08-2011, 03:13 PM
Yes it is. There are a few sites still not adapted for it though, even now. But for well over a year I've been using it, so would need to change my poll vote.

Redmond Barry
05-08-2011, 02:00 AM
im using 'opera' for my phones browser.

anybody got any opinions on it or any others they like for mobile ?

its at least better than the default internet explorer browser. then again everything is better than internet explorer !

ElevatorEscapee
05-08-2011, 08:56 PM
I was checking my Hotmail account from my work computer today, (where I must use an old version of IE6.0 to remain compatable with an internal program) and I noticed a graphical advertisment offering to test your IQ. It was actually one of those simple colour blindness tests rather than any form of actual IQ test, and those viewing it were asked to select the number they saw, which apparently represented their IQ. As an incentive, those who responded were promised the ability to "Stand a chance to win an Apple Product!".

The IQ numbers were all so low that it cracked me up and I couldn't resist grabbing the graphic (and removing the link to whatever spam place it went to). I was going to place the picture in the random pictures thread, but after reading the more recent posts here, I felt that this thread was more relevant.

Obviously this test was designed for Internet Explorer users like myself! :lol:

So please look at the picture, and let everyone know what number you see... apparently that is your IQ! ;)

Redmond Barry
13-08-2011, 09:55 PM
so ......... apple have product placements for people with iq's of 74.

interesting, very interesting. :D

or maybe by 'apple product' they mean granny smith or red delicious.

littlesprout85
15-08-2011, 12:16 AM
Red Delicous Michigan Apples #1

Leave it to Juicys to get sprouty thinking of Michigan once again.
Very Funny Juicys- Had Meh Laughing for a bit:lol: :lol: :lol:

-Sprout85 =)

Craig_Hall
15-08-2011, 01:30 PM
I use Opera for my mobile phone browser as well - it's faster than the Symbian browser, which is good enough for me!

Adamski
16-08-2011, 12:34 AM
Yes it is. There are a few sites still not adapted for it though, even now. But for well over a year I've been using it, so would need to change my poll vote.
Sounds like i should give it ago - I will!