PDA

View Full Version : Need assistance with DVD decorder problem

Space_Dude
27-02-2009, 09:25 PM
My laptop is from korea, so the dvd code is different. I need help with changing the code to match Australian code... HELP!!!!!

Space_Dude
27-02-2009, 09:44 PM
I've tried downloadong dvd decorders and codec and the whole shebam. I can't find anything that works!! It's so annoying!!

Rincewind
28-02-2009, 12:40 AM
I've tried downloadong dvd decorders and codec and the whole shebam. I can't find anything that works!! It's so annoying!!

If the problem is region codes then video codecs are not going to help you. DVD Genie might, depending on your DVD drive.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dvdgenie.html

Space_Dude
28-02-2009, 08:39 AM
If the problem is region codes then video codecs are not going to help you. DVD Genie might, depending on your DVD drive.

http://www.snapfiles.com/get/dvdgenie.html
umm... hiw do i use it?

Rincewind
28-02-2009, 09:51 AM
umm... hiw do i use it?

RTM

Space_Dude
28-02-2009, 11:02 AM
RTM
huh?

Basil
28-02-2009, 11:06 AM
huh?
It's his limited communication / psychological style. Coupled with your communications shortcomings, it should be a helluva conversation. I'm selling tickets.

Space_Dude
28-02-2009, 12:05 PM
It's his limited communication / psychological style. Coupled with your communications shortcomings, it should be a helluva conversation. I'm selling tickets.
ummm.... ookayy

Basil
28-02-2009, 12:20 PM
I've never seen RTM before. My best guess is its stands for 'read the manual'.

Miranda
28-02-2009, 12:27 PM
I've never seen RTM before. My best guess is its stands for 'read the manual'.
I've usually seen it as RTFM. :)

Space_Dude
28-02-2009, 12:51 PM
I've usually seen it as RTFM. :)
read the F**king manual?Thats as stupid as ASAFP.

Rincewind
28-02-2009, 04:32 PM

Tony what you need to do is take responsibility for fixing your own problems.

RTM was the short answer. For the long answer read on...

You said you had a problem because your laptop was from Korea and could play Australian stuff. If that is the issue then the problem is region coding. Region codes are an evil that multinationals like Sony have foisted on the earth so that they can try to control the global marketing and distribution of DVDs. It turned out to be a failure and a big pain in the backside for everyone else.

Video codecs are about encoding and decoding the video stream and has nothing to do with region coding. They are more about the most effective way of compressing data so that you can store the most video data in the smallest possible space.

Therefore, regarding my first comment, if your problem is region codes then all the video codecs in the world aren't going to fix the problem.

Now IIRC the region code of your system will be stored in two places. Firstly ni the DVD driver itself, and secondly in the Windows configuration. Both will need to be changed if you want to play a different region DVD.

However, it is a little more complicated than that because some DVD drives are region free (in which case you only have to worry about Windows). The specifics of the solution depends on you operating system and also the exact make and model of your DVD drive.

This isn't the sort of problem where a one line solution will work for every person. You need to check out your system, look up the DVD drive specs and see if you can change region codes or make it region free. You also need to find out how to change the region code in your version of Windows.

I hope I've pointed you in the right direction but from this point it is really up to you to take the initiative. Good luck.

Rincewind
28-02-2009, 04:40 PM
It's his limited communication / psychological style.

I guess I'm used to speaking with people who doesn't need everything spelt out for them. However, in my discussions with you I have learnt to dumb-it-down a little. :P

I even include the occasional smiley these days so people know when I'm taking the piss.

Miranda
28-02-2009, 04:53 PM
ASAFP isn't really nessecary, but RTFM and JFGI are. Too many people rely on others when bit of googling or searching could find it just as easily.

Ian Murray
28-02-2009, 09:37 PM
Check here (http://just****inggoogleit.com/)

Basil
28-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Check here (http://just****inggoogleit.com/)
Steady on, Ian. They guy's 14. This is his world of adult interaction. His peers might talk to him like that but I don't think we have to.

Miranda
28-02-2009, 10:52 PM
Steady on, Ian. They guy's 14. This is his world of adult interaction. His peers might talk to him like that but I don't think we have to.
I don't know about Tony, but I thought it was pretty funny.... will definatly be using that URL in future!

Basil
28-02-2009, 10:57 PM
Right right right right ... all right ... righto righto righto. Carry on Ian, carry on Baz. Everyone treat the guy like a chump an' we'll all laugh it up. Silly daddy.

I will point out (on the way out the door, no I won't slam it or hit my head) that calls for assistance for similar or worse levels of banality are very seldom met with 'look it up dickhead' responses.

Saragossa
28-02-2009, 10:58 PM
Now I've had this arguement before with people and often you will notice that when you google something you usually find the answer in a forum such as this. So why don't we cut out the middle man and just ask it here? Besides this is the 1337 lounge for 1337 questions.

Rincewind
28-02-2009, 11:22 PM
Right right right right ... all right ... righto righto righto. Carry on Ian, carry on Baz. Everyone treat the guy like a chump an' we'll all laugh it up. Silly daddy.

I will point out (on the way out the door, no I won't slam it or hit my head) that calls for assistance for similar or worse levels of banality are very seldom met with 'look it up dickhead' responses.

What everyone seems to fail to appreciate is that "RTM" was not the beginning of my response. Initially I provided some (what I thought were) useful comments regarding codecs and region codes, and a link to download software which can help changing region codes for various DVD hardware.

The follow question was a totally unspecific and didn't indicate that Tony had even tried to use the software. One should definitely try to read the manual and frame a specific question rather than just say...

"how do I use it?"

No one can answer that question because it lacks specific. By reading the manual Tony may not have worked out the answer. But at least he would start to have a handle on what was the question.

Basil
28-02-2009, 11:28 PM
No one can answer that question because it lacks specific. By reading the manual Tony may not have worked out the answer. But at least he would start to have a handle on what was the question.
I agree with this. When I saw Tony's first post, I was very tempted to gun him for flailing his hands around in the air without supplying anything substantial for an aide to bite into.

I have no problem encouraging people to 'man up', in fact I need very little excuse at all. I only took exception to the style. Your sentiment I share entirely. Tony, man up!

Space_Dude
01-03-2009, 09:21 AM
Check here (http://just****inggoogleit.com/)I googled it like a million times and downloaded a dozen softwares...

Space_Dude
01-03-2009, 09:25 AM
I agree with this. When I saw Tony's first post, I was very tempted to gun him for flailing his hands around in the air without supplying anything substantial for an aide to bite into.

I have no problem encouraging people to 'man up', in fact I need very little excuse at all. I only took exception to the style. Your sentiment I share entirely. Tony, man up!
well, if you want specific , when i try to play an Australian DVD on Windows Media Player it says that there is no decorder and when I try to play on Toshiba DVD Olayer it says that the region code is wrong and it is in need of adjusting (just a rough translation from Korean to English). Have downloaded many soft wares with not much luck.