PDA

View Full Version : Chess Training Strategy - How do you break it down?

Ausknight
23-02-2009, 09:39 PM
Just an interesting question really.

At the moment, I'm sticking my fingers into many chess cookie jars :

Tactics training (software chess tactics)
Theory (reading books & theory)
Playtime against PC & Real Players
Casual reading (ie Chess blogs & general discussion)

And I'm just about to reintroduce a regular Chess club component into my time as well.

Question is - where do you find the bloody time to cover it all?! As a family man with a full time job it's sometimes a little challenging to devote the sort of time you want to the study and play of our game.

What are other people's schedule like? Do you have a rigid structure that you follow or do you just delve into the areas that appeal to you as you go?

I don't have a chess teacher at this stage, so I'm pretty much trying to set my own schedule atm, but it's always nice to bounce off ideas from the seasoned vets here.

Cheers

CameronD
23-02-2009, 09:45 PM
A better question is what do you want from chess??

That would give you the idea for the priority of chess in your life and the amount of time and resources you need to invest.

Personally, i infest an hour each evening into chess work plus a small amount of finances to reach my goal which I want to achieve in 5-7 years.

Saragossa
23-02-2009, 09:59 PM
What I try to do is just reinforce what I have learnt. So if I have been studying how to consolidate when material up I play games and if i win material or my opponant sacrifices I attempt to draw together all my knowledge on how to defend such positions to win the game. And I also like to check book on the opening's I play to see how far book I get (not to far but I play heaps of different openings online).

Bereaved
24-02-2009, 12:44 AM

That would give you the idea for the priority of chess in your life and the amount of time and resources you need to invest.

Personally, i infest an hour each evening into chess work plus a small amount of finances to reach my goal which I want to achieve in 5-7 years.

Hi Cameron, I just thought that this was too funny not to point out for us all to giggle at ourselves,

Hope you don't mind

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Miranda
24-02-2009, 07:03 AM
I think you should set yourself a few goals, perhaps ratings-wise, or "I'll play x number of tournaments this year" type stuff. Then.. just work towards them, I guess. I usually try to work through at least 1 ICC video or a few games in a book per day, then play lots. I read lots of chess blogs and websites, but if you're just trying to get good at the game it isn't really nessecary.

MichaelBaron
24-02-2009, 01:41 PM

The more time and finance you are going to invest into it - the better ;)

MichaelBaron
24-02-2009, 01:42 PM
Just an interesting question really.

At the moment, I'm sticking my fingers into many chess cookie jars :

Tactics training (software chess tactics)
Theory (reading books & theory)
Playtime against PC & Real Players
Casual reading (ie Chess blogs & general discussion)

And I'm just about to reintroduce a regular Chess club component into my time as well.

Question is - where do you find the bloody time to cover it all?! As a family man with a full time job it's sometimes a little challenging to devote the sort of time you want to the study and play of our game.

What are other people's schedule like? Do you have a rigid structure that you follow or do you just delve into the areas that appeal to you as you go?

I don't have a chess teacher at this stage, so I'm pretty much trying to set my own schedule atm, but it's always nice to bounce off ideas from the seasoned vets here.

Cheers

1) you do need to find time. Rome was not built in one day.
2) Even if you do not have a coach, you still need to make a study plan for yourself

Ausknight
24-02-2009, 03:35 PM
1) you do need to find time. Rome was not built in one day.
2) Even if you do not have a coach, you still need to make a study plan for yourself

Yeah, that's why I'm looking for ideas on what others are doing in regards to any kind of program. :)

At the moment I'm doing roughly 1hr tactics, 1 hour theory and about 2 hrs a day just playing online.

Sound reasonable?

MichaelBaron
24-02-2009, 10:07 PM
Yeah, that's why I'm looking for ideas on what others are doing in regards to any kind of program. :)

At the moment I'm doing roughly 1hr tactics, 1 hour theory and about 2 hrs a day just playing online.

Sound reasonable?

4 hours a day...sounds like you have a lot of time to devote to chess...
well done

Desmond
25-02-2009, 09:54 AM
If you have four hours to spend on chess, break it down this way:

1. Spend the first hour doing some study, eg your tactics, or strategy or whatever book you are working through.

2. After that, play an online game. Minimum 30 mins each, better would be 60 mins each.

3. Annotate the game. First play through it by yourself, look for mistakes and make notes of what moves you thnik were critical and why you chose one line over another. After that, use a openings database to check where your game deviated from theory. Try to see why the theory move was played. Then go through the game using an engine.

If time permits, rinse and repeat steps 2-3.

Ausknight
25-02-2009, 11:36 AM
4 hours a day...sounds like you have a lot of time to devote to chess...
well done

Yeah I do actually. I do work fulltime, but my job is a helpdesk one so I can read a bit whilst there (although I tend to hang out on this site too often just to chew the fat and annoy the regulars!) and I can also play the odd game against the PC whilst I'm in between calls as well.

That said, once I'm at home there's fairly little for me to do as I don't really have any other passtimes (unless looking after kids counts as a 'passtime') - but that said, but my kids are school age so they tend to look after themselves unless they need feeding :)

So that tends to leave a fair amount of time for myself. Presently, I don't have any structured approach. One day I'll sit down and just do 2 hours of chess tactics, another day I'll just play online games all day - but 4 hours a day represents a fair average of what I have available to devote to chess study.

If you have four hours to spend on chess, break it down this way:

1. Spend the first hour doing some study, eg your tactics, or strategy or whatever book you are working through.

2. After that, play an online game. Minimum 30 mins each, better would be 60 mins each.

3. Annotate the game. First play through it by yourself, look for mistakes and make notes of what moves you thnik were critical and why you chose one line over another. After that, use a openings database to check where your game deviated from theory. Try to see why the theory move was played. Then go through the game using an engine.

If time permits, rinse and repeat steps 2-3.

Cheers for this advice. I admit I'm been progressively moving to longer games of late online, although you get less 'offers' when you do this on the free servers especially where blitz seems to be the staple diet of many.

I actually prefer 30+ minute games at this stage as my biggest flaw at the moment in my gameplay is safety.

I'm spending too much time on thinking attack, and not enough on ensuring my position is safe which leads to me making some terrible choices and hanging pieces unnecessarily. I think with more time on the clock and an obvious mindset concerning safety this would do wonders for helping my game.

That said, how do I crunch my games for analysis? I have Fritz 10 at the moment, can I just get it to load a saved PGN and let it take a look? I admit that analysis of my past games is something I haven't done of late because I simply don't know how.

Cheers for the advice again guys, I really appreciate it.

Igor_Goldenberg
26-02-2009, 08:48 AM
Chess training strategy depends on your current level. If it's a beginner (or close to it!), then I'd suggest concentrating on two things:
1. Tactical training
2. Endgame study

As you move up, it'll change

Desmond
26-02-2009, 09:01 AM
Cheers for this advice. I admit I'm been progressively moving to longer games of late online, although you get less 'offers' when you do this on the free servers especially where blitz seems to be the staple diet of many.This is true, You can hedge your bets by having a few offers out there, eg 20 20, 30 0, 30 30, 60 0 etc.

I actually prefer 30+ minute games at this stage as my biggest flaw at the moment in my gameplay is safety.

I'm spending too much time on thinking attack, and not enough on ensuring my position is safe which leads to me making some terrible choices and hanging pieces unnecessarily. I think with more time on the clock and an obvious mindset concerning safety this would do wonders for helping my game.It is good to look at the position and think about what your opponent would like to do if it were his move. Once you determine the opponent's best plan, decide if you need to stop it or if you can ignore it.

That said, how do I crunch my games for analysis? I have Fritz 10 at the moment, can I just get it to load a saved PGN and let it take a look? I admit that analysis of my past games is something I haven't done of late because I simply don't know how.I just play through the game move by move and let the engine think for a little while on each move. Maybe 5-10 secs on most moves. The aim of the excercise is not to let the engine solve the position, but to quickly find any blunders or opportunities you may have missed.

Cheers for the advice again guys, I really appreciate it.no worries :)

Davidflude
26-02-2009, 09:14 PM
I am basically a correspondence chess player and I am retired. First time that I have ever had enough time.

So my number one priority is my correspondence games. This gives me heaps of practise analyzing positions. However it tends not to be good for over the board chess. First you use your database rather than trying to remember what to do. Secondly you use your library.

I must have spent fifty hours on one position. There were nine candidate moves none of which were good enough. Then I found a tenth.

Currently I am playing through the collection of Emmanuel Lasker games by Soltis.

Openings I am working through "Beating the Open Games by Mihail Marin. This will take months.The chapter on the King's Gambit is very good. I shall try playing e5 in allegro and practice games against my computer. I am getting bored with the Sicilian. In correspondence the dragon always draws no matter how strong my opponent is. Over the board I have to put up with vast numbers of Bb5 sicilians.

I should spend more time on endings and it is time that I revisited my collection of books on defence.

I also do a lot of posting on Chess Publishing.Com mostly on the King's Gambit and Blackmar-Diemer gambit. The King's Gambit is sound but very difficult for both players in correspondence. This is just what I want. Steady positional players tend to struggle.

Over the board I will play in the club only this year.

In correspondence my objective is to try and win half my games and draw the rest playing for Australia. I am also playing one tournament of seven games. The trouble is that someone may get lucky and have opponents blunder and win the tournament.

Two Grandmasters are publishing books on the King's Gambit and BDG this year. Maybe next year I will write something on these openings.

Miranda
27-02-2009, 06:45 AM
I must have spent fifty hours on one position. There were nine candidate moves none of which were good enough. Then I found a tenth.

Did you win that game? :)

ER
27-02-2009, 07:19 AM
Two Grandmasters are publishing books on the King's Gambit and BDG this year. Maybe next year I will write something on these openings.
Is that a hint you play it against me tonight??? :P