PDA

View Full Version : Pull in the same direction

PHAT
14-07-2004, 12:07 PM
Thanks to GH ballsy effort, we now actually have a signed deal. It may or may not be the best possible, but it is the best we have given the circumstances that lead to it. I feel that it is time to stop bickering, and for the whole chess community to get behind this deal and make it as good as it can possibly be.

The time for discussing the prevention of another fiasco, is not now. Perhaps in a month or so, the ACF deligates will issue a mea culpa and say how it will do better in 2005 and for evermore. But for now and untill the end of the prize giving, it is absolutely right and good, for everyone to pull in the same direction.

I ask that this thread be used only for constructive critisism.

We want ideas for:
*Accommadation - Alternatives and deals, sharing.
*Transport - Car pooling from anywhere in Australia. Lifts up and down the mountain et cetera.
*Food - Alternative cooking facilities, food mercy dash officer.
*Social events.
*Touristy things.
*Voluteering oppertunities

(Got a complaint? FO)

Trent Parker
14-07-2004, 12:55 PM
Actually in terms of getting down there there might be a mob from campbelltown that i might get a lift with.

Hey Sweeney How would u be going to Mt buller if you go?

jase
14-07-2004, 01:40 PM
Transport to Mt Buller:

Coaches seat up to 50 people. I would be hiring one to transport players from Melbourne to the venue. The coach could have 2 or 3 designated pick-up points in Melbourne [eg Tullamarine, Spencer St Station]. I think this would comfortably cover the number of Melburnians intending to use public transport. If you offer this as a low-cost service [eg $30 each way, $50 return] costs should be covered; perhaps there's a small surplus if the bus fills up.

Ditto from the North. Book a coach to depart Sydney, and travel via Canberra. Sydney players might pay $80 return whilst the Canberrans could get their travel for about $50.

This could be done for both the Open and the Juniors.

Transport on the Mountain:

Hire a mini-van for the duration of the event. The cost might be about $500 a week. I wouldn't be surprised if the Mecure had available. The van could make a daily run to Mansfield, and even be used for field trips by groups on the rest days. If you charge people $5 each way, it might only be a sliver of the budget [an average of 7 people a day would break even].

As for drivers, a few people might be offered some incentive to take turns in this regard. As long as you only hire something like an 8-10 seater Tarago or equivalent, anyone with a driver's licence will be able to drive.

PHAT
14-07-2004, 01:54 PM
Hey Sweeney How would u be going to Mt buller if you go?

Brooom brooom. I'll keep you posted.

PHAT
14-07-2004, 01:59 PM
Anybody who wants to know what can be done at Mt Buller in summer can find this pretty quickly @ www.mtbuller.com.au or - totally specific - http://www.mtbuller.com.au/activities/summer.html Not quite sure if this will qualify as a "positive" post. :rolleyes:

Cat
16-07-2004, 07:48 PM
Thanks to GH ballsy effort, we now actually have a signed deal. It may or may not be the best possible, but it is the best we have given the circumstances that lead to it. I feel that it is time to stop bickering, and for the whole chess community to get behind this deal and make it as good as it can possibly be.

The time for discussing the prevention of another fiasco, is not now. Perhaps in a month or so, the ACF deligates will issue a mea culpa and say how it will do better in 2005 and for evermore. But for now and untill the end of the prize giving, it is absolutely right and good, for everyone to pull in the same direction.

I ask that this thread be used only for constructive critisism.

We want ideas for:
*Accommadation - Alternatives and deals, sharing.
*Transport - Car pooling from anywhere in Australia. Lifts up and down the mountain et cetera.
*Food - Alternative cooking facilities, food mercy dash officer.
*Social events.
*Touristy things.
*Voluteering oppertunities

(Got a complaint? FO)

Food would be a big issue. Why not approach a Mansfield retailer to procure some arrangement whereby they could provide services at Mt Buller, or even a wholesaler, it might be quite attractive to them. Of course it depends on agreements already obtained with the Mt Buller management and their acceptance of any arrangement.