PDA

View Full Version : Troubleshooting: Can't post or can't edit post: "Forbidden" error

Kevin Bonham
21-02-2009, 04:06 PM
The problem

An error that sometimes happens is that posters cannot submit a given post (often a long one) and get an error something like this:

Forbidden

You don't have permission to access /newreply.php on this server.
Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Sometimes instead of /newreply.php it will be /editpost.php or something similar.

To check that this is the problem

Try making a test post containing just a few words, or just the word "test". If you can do this successfully and it appears on the board, then it is most likely something in the text of your original message that was the issue.

Why does this happen?

The board is programmed to recognise and disallow some expressions that might be used by hackers to attack the board. Unfortunately now and then this function bars completely innocent text.

Is there an exact list of what expressions are barred?

No. There is a (very long) list of words that are usable in SQL but that really doesn't narrow the field very much - nor does every use of any word in that list trigger the problem.

Usually it is some particular combination of two or more words, rather than a single word, that triggers the problem.

So how to get around it?

Unfortunately the only way we have found around this bug is trial and error.

Go through your post sentence by sentence, and in turn, try cutting out a sentence (use Edit:Cut) and submitting in preview mode.

If your post still doesn't go through, that sentence is probably not to blame. Paste it back in and try cutting the next.

If your post does go through, you have identified the sentence that the board takes exception to. You can now try cutting out groups of a few words in the same manner, or just radically reword the entire sentence.

If your post is very long you can use the same trial and error process paragraph by paragraph, then sentence by sentence within the troublesome paragraph.

If, no matter which sentence you cut out, you still have problems, you may have to try radically rewording the entire post.

Garvinator
22-02-2009, 04:01 AM
I have had this issue a couple of times. On each occasion it has also been time specific, as in that while the board will reject my post for a certain period of time, when I come back a few hours later and try and make the exact same post, the board accepts it with no issues.

Kevin Bonham
26-03-2009, 08:21 PM
Words containing the letters "url", such as "curl", are quite often part of the trigger for this problem.

Kevin Bonham
29-03-2009, 08:49 PM
As an example of how bizarre this bug can be, the post at http://chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=236026&postcount=20 triggered it in its original form.

After going through the usual process of trial and error I discovered that the offending character was the space between the equals sign and the figure 1722.5 in Sally Yu's line, although none of the other spaces between the equals signs and the final figure triggered it. Thus, removing that one space was enough for my post to work.

eclectic
29-03-2009, 09:16 PM
it might have been karma from yu know who because of not being selected ;)

Basil
28-08-2009, 05:59 PM
Could not post the word "Lynx" without inverted commas.

Rincewind
28-08-2009, 06:01 PM
Could not post the word "Lynx" without inverted commas.

Lynx

Basil
28-08-2009, 06:07 PM
Lynx
Yesterday - ran out of shower gel
This afternoon - mega promo box of "Lynx" mens stink stuff arrived at office. I scored ... shower gel! Whoa. How's that for Even Steven (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Opposite)?

Can you post the text above (coloured red) without the inverted commas?

Rincewind
28-08-2009, 06:14 PM
Yesterday - ran out of shower gel
This afternoon - mega promo box of "Lynx" mens stink stuff arrived at office. I scored ... shower gel! Whoa. How's that for Even Steven (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Opposite)?

Can you post the text above (coloured red) without the inverted commas?

Yeah, there is definitely an issue there. I guess it is due to "Lynx" being an operating system, but as far as I know it is not an SQL reserved word.

antichrist
31-08-2009, 10:11 PM
This is a shocking program, when I reply to posts my way, changing the original text it will tell me that I have to make the post 3 words longer. I do this about 6 times and it still tells me the same.

There is always a fool big enough to outfool the greatest foolproof system.

Not sure who the fool is here.

Kevin Bonham
31-08-2009, 10:38 PM
This is a shocking program, when I reply to posts my way, changing the original text it will tell me that I have to make the post 3 words longer. I do this about 6 times and it still tells me the same.

It's probably trying to save you from getting yourself banned.

Kevin Bonham
09-10-2011, 10:46 AM
*bump*

Just bumping this as two posters had the issue today. If you like bookmarking lots of stuff this is a useful thread to bookmark.

Jesper Norgaard
11-10-2011, 05:26 PM
Not sure who the fool is here.

I'll give you a hint, his name starts with "a" ;)

kibitzer
14-11-2011, 10:38 AM
Can anything be done to fix the problem, or can't the code be edited? Not knowing if your message will be accepted just discourages you from even trying in the first place.

ER
14-11-2011, 11:00 AM
Can anything be done to fix the problem, or can't the code be edited? Not knowing if your message will be accepted just discourages you from even trying in the first place.

try posting paragraph by paragraph and locate the troublesome word by trial and error!
However, Kevin's post #1 in this thread will help you lots!

kibitzer
14-11-2011, 11:21 AM
try posting paragraph by paragraph and locate the troublesome word by trial and error!

But who wants to do that? Easier just not to bother in the first place. And a user should NEVER see a message like this:
'You don't have permission to access /newreply.php on this server.'

ER
14-11-2011, 03:30 PM
But who wants to do that? Easier just not to bother in the first place. And a user should NEVER see a message like this:
'You don't have permission to access /newreply.php on this server.'

I know, I had that feeling of nauseous incompleteness when it happened to me the first time. And boy, did I have to go through a humangous chunk of text line by line!

Kevin Bonham
14-11-2011, 07:01 PM
It's quite a nuisance but those of us who have posted a lot will be aware that it occurs quite uncommonly. I reckon I get it less than once every 500 posts, but more than 1 in 1000.

It is better than having the forum hacked.

Santa
07-01-2012, 08:24 AM
It's quite a nuisance but those of us who have posted a lot will be aware that it occurs quite uncommonly. I reckon I get it less than once every 500 posts, but more than 1 in 1000.

It is better than having the forum hacked.

Have you ever complained to the software authors. I don't know about commercial operators, but free software folk (and I'm thinking of a fre Content Management packages) would be quite eager to fix it.

You might need to capture the failing posts, and they should help you with that too.

Kevin Bonham
07-01-2012, 12:20 PM
Have you ever complained to the software authors.

Any updates of this site are up to the site owner and need to be considered carefully because they can stop our game viewer working. We're really not too fussed about this issue popping up from time to time - irritating as it is - if it makes the site more difficult to hack.

Max Illingworth
12-01-2012, 08:25 PM
I just had a 'forbidden' error with the following phrase:

of the coverage from a previous SOS survey.

The first word is 'update' but that leads to the forbidden error.

Kevin Bonham
09-11-2012, 08:06 PM
Note that this problem also sometimes comes up if you search for a term that contains an apostrophe and then try to click on threads brought up by the search function.

Adamski
09-11-2012, 08:13 PM
Yes. I got that problem with "Peter Stuart's". I have asked for the apostrophe to be removed then all should be hunky dorey.

Adamski
09-11-2012, 08:52 PM
I just had a 'forbidden' error with the following phrase:

of the coverage from a previous SOS survey.

The first word is 'update' but that leads to the forbidden error.Aha! I have to remove the word "update" from my failing post!

Kevin Bonham
09-11-2012, 08:56 PM
I've put the apostrophe back in the title - let me know if any more problems. As far as I know the apostrophe in titles is only an issue through the search function, not when accessing threads by other means.

Adamski
09-11-2012, 09:18 PM
I've put the apostrophe back in the title - let me know if any more problems. As far as I know the apostrophe in titles is only an issue through the search function, not when accessing threads by other means.
Thanks, Kevin. I got there in the end!

Ian CCC
11-11-2012, 07:06 PM
I had this frustrating problem last week trying to post the following sentence as part of a much longer post:

B2: Gary allowed his opponent to create a protected passed pawn deep in his territory and, fromthere on, he was fighting for a draw.

If you put a space between the "from" and "there" the 'Don't have permission to post' error occurs. Obviously, without the space there is no problem.

Kevin Bonham
11-11-2012, 07:32 PM
The word "create" is frequently involved in this problem.

ER
15-11-2012, 01:03 PM

a metaphysical victory for the evolutionists??? :uhoh:

Kevin Bonham
16-11-2012, 11:46 AM
I couldn't write Grant Szuveges' first name in a post today because of this bug. Thanks to Garrett for pointing out:

"GRANT" is a keyword used in databases to grant privileges to users."

I don't think anyone else has had problems with this one before!

Adamski
18-11-2012, 11:46 PM
Probably because, like GRANT, it is a standard database verb. You create tables, and there needs to be some restriction on how this is done.

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2017, 11:46 AM
I have not encountered this problem in a very long time. It may have gone away. Has anyone else had it in the last year or so?