PDA

View Full Version : a good chess database?

joergw
10-02-2009, 01:51 PM
I am looking for a chess database which comes with a lot of games of Australian players.
I saw that there is quite an affordable one - Chessbase Big Database 2009. It is advertised as containing 4.000.000 games.

I wonder if that would contain a lot of Australian games, or if there is any better alternative. Does such a database usually contain only FIDE rated games, or would ACF rated tournaments be covered as well?
Does anyone own that or another product and can give me his experience?

Thanks,
Joerg

Garrett
10-02-2009, 02:38 PM
big database would be a reasonable choice.

mega database is normally better (and more expensive) in that it contains annotated games but I doubt that a lot of them would be of Aussie players games.

There is no exclusively Australian database of which I am aware.

There are also online resources like chessgames which contributers at this site have had experience and they will probably offer some advice.

good luck !!

Cheers
Garrett.

Denis_Jessop
10-02-2009, 04:21 PM
A very large number of Australian games from the 19th century onwards can be downloaded tournament by tournament in PGN form from Ozbase, the ACF's Australian chess database maintained by ACF Archivist Paul Dunn. You can reach it by link from the ACF website www.auschess.org.au.

DJ

joergw
10-02-2009, 07:50 PM
Thanks for your suggestions.

What I want to use the games for is to prepare for my matches. So I am particularly interested in recent games - and mainly games of oppenents in the area of 1400-2000 rated players.

I wonder if the chessbase products contain such games as well, or will I find there mainly GM/IM games?

Ian Rout
11-02-2009, 10:37 AM
When the huge databases first started coming out they appeared to have been populated in part by scouring the web for game scores. So if a club was in the practice of collecting and publishing its game scores they would appear on databases. MegaBase 1999 (or one of those from thereabouts) had about 70 of my games. Of course very few of these were of any value though a couple did actually get listed in opening books/articles as a result of being on the databases.

I presume this is is still the case, but the obvious catch is that many of the games are old and as time goes by the newer games also age so you need to keep buying the updates. On the other hand OzBase is constantly updated, albeit a little in retard, and you can download it free as often as you like. It's true that the players included are more at the high end of the scale because it's the major tournaments that collect game scores, but this will be true of other collections too.

I suggest that you download OzBase and see what's on it, there's nothing to lose except five minutes of your time.

joergw
11-02-2009, 11:28 AM
Ian, thanks a lot.
I had a look - there are a few recent games, and probably as good as a commercial "global" database

regards,
Joerg