PDA

View Full Version : The Art of Attack in chess...

Ghost Dog
25-01-2009, 05:12 AM
Hi All,

just wondering if anyone here has read the book the art of attack in chess,by Vuckovic.is it any good?:confused:

Rincewind
25-01-2009, 09:58 AM
Hi All,

just wondering if anyone here has read the book the art of attack in chess,by Vuckovic.is it any good?:confused:

I have. IMHO it is good but not great.

Davidflude
25-01-2009, 10:25 AM
Hi All,

It is great for the right level of player, up to about 1800 rating.

ElevatorEscapee
25-01-2009, 05:30 PM
It's a classic and well worth the read... just don't expect it to do immediate wonders for your play. :)

(PS I loved the term "blind swine" grunting along the seventh rank trying to find mate, referring to two rooks that couldn't quite seem to mate the enemy king!)

Kevin Bonham
25-01-2009, 08:53 PM
Take the analysis with more than a grain of salt. Much of it has now been refuted by computer-checking.

Ghost Dog
26-01-2009, 10:04 PM
thanks for the replies people!!really apreciate it!!I guess how much a player would benefit from this book really depends on their strength.I'm at about 1500 myself.what books would you recomend me given that I'm at about 1500?something on tactics...and endgames!!my endgames suck...:hmm:

Take the analysis with more than a grain of salt. Much of it has now been refuted by computer-checking.

yes.I'm aware of this.I have an edited edition of this book (by some dude named John Nunn).he has footnotes concerning the mistakes Vukovic made in his original analysis.