PDA

View Full Version : Laptop or Netbook (Mini Notebook)

Space_Dude
14-01-2009, 11:09 PM
hello! Im stuck on a decision on a laptop or a net book. Net books dont have pc/dvd rom but is more affordable and portable, but laptops go pc/dvd rom bigger much more suitable but expensive and not much portable compared to a net book... decisions decisions...

Desmond
15-01-2009, 09:08 AM
What do you want to use it for?

Space_Dude
15-01-2009, 10:34 AM
Surfing the net, homework, research, writing playing chess on babas videos, music etc

Garrett
15-01-2009, 10:39 AM
Hi Tony

I recently bought a new laptop. Mine was a Dell.

It seemed at the time that 15 inch laptops were pretty much the cheapest (mine was $749-00), and as you went bigger OR smaller the prices increased.

Also keep in mind that the laptop will be heavier, so take into account how often and how far you have to carry it.

Sounds like if you want to listen to music through CD's the drive may be useful.

Also keep in mind that as your love for chess grows, you will want to install chess videos, chess engines, chess databases etc !!

Regards
Garrett.

Space_Dude
15-01-2009, 10:44 AM
The net book is fairly cheap its only around 300 dollars.. including the usb portable cd drive/dvd its around 400 dollars...cheaper then the laptop itself.. but the net book has less memory space then a laptop.. (:() It only has aroung 1g of ram. but i dont think i even need that much..

Desmond
15-01-2009, 10:49 AM
Surfing the net, homework, research, writing playing chess on babas videos, music etcLaptop would be better, particularly if you want to do much writing. The keyboards on those "netbooks" are very small. You will be using the backspace key a lot. You also do not mention portability which is the main reason anyone would choose a netbook over a laptop. If cost is a major factor, it would even be better to buy a secondhand laptop than a netbook in many instances.

By the way you will see the term "netbook" fade away pretty soon as this is a registered trademark and other companies will shy away from using it to refer to their products.

I recently bought a new laptop. Mine was a Dell.My comiserations :P

Garrett
15-01-2009, 10:57 AM
My comiserations :P

ha ha ha - thanks Boris - I guess I shouldn't tell you it runs Vista home basic then.

I only bought it for chess related stuff and it seems to be doing fine (for now) !

cheers
Garrett.

arosar
15-01-2009, 11:01 AM
I recommend a laptop instead of the netbook if you're going to use it for serious data crunching like chess database work. I've got an MSI Wind at home and I only ever use that for web surfing, emails, etc.

Btw, if you buy a 10-incher, the kb should be about big enough. MSI Wind is highly recommended. If you can get it, the Samsung NC10 is very well rated.

AR

Space_Dude
15-01-2009, 03:27 PM
been looking at this awsome tablet. http://laptop.com.au/product_info.php/cPath/1_25/products_id/426

Space_Dude
15-01-2009, 04:30 PM
been looking at this awsome tablet. http://laptop.com.au/product_info.php/cPath/1_25/products_id/426
on second thought my dad decided to get me a dell insted

Muzzy
24-08-2009, 03:44 PM
I recommend a laptop instead of the netbook if you're going to use it for serious data crunching like chess database work. I've got an MSI Wind at home and I only ever use that for web surfing, emails, etc.

Btw, if you buy a 10-incher, the kb should be about big enough. MSI Wind is highly recommended. If you can get it, the Samsung NC10 is very well rated.

AR

Have you tried using the MSI Wind for chess? Like installing Fritz or chessbase?

Saragossa
26-08-2009, 10:24 PM
Why would you want a little laptop? Have you got little knees? ;)

Wait til' Netbook tech gets a bit up to speed (Should happen fairly quickly I imagine especially seeing how popular they are getting) then buy one. Soon enough the dvd drive thing will be solved and everyone will be happy.