PDA

View Full Version : Apple II Trek

Rincewind
09-01-2009, 04:56 PM
Over the Christmas/New Year period I've been working on a port of the Apple II Trek program from Integer BASIC to FreeBASIC. That is now largely finished and so if anyone wants to see a 30 year old computer game (40x24 text interface) please download and check it out from

Software Downloads Page (http://www.bjcox.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=12)

Any bugs you might pick up, let me know. If you want to see the original game then you can download an Apple II emulator from here (http://applewin.berlios.de/) and the Apple Trek disk image from here (ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/simulation/apple_trek.dsk.gz).

Adamski
10-01-2009, 05:44 PM
Over the Christmas/New Year period I've been working on a port of the Apple II Trek program from Integer BASIC to FreeBASIC. That is now largely finished and so if anyone wants to see a 30 year old computer game (40x24 text interface) please download and check it out from

Software Downloads Page (http://www.bjcox.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=12)

Any bugs you might pick up, let me know. If you want to see the original game then you can download an Apple II emulator from here (http://applewin.berlios.de/) and the Apple Trek disk image from here (ftp://ftp.apple.asimov.net/pub/apple_II/images/games/simulation/apple_trek.dsk.gz).RW, just for fun, and since it was Star Trek, I downloaded this game. Interesting to see such old graphics. Do you have any instructions on how to play? I have been following my nose. We have an 8 by 8 grid (odd choice!) and I assume "E" is Enterprise. But I need some more guidance.
Ta. Good to see you won today. Good luck tomorrow.

Rincewind
11-01-2009, 08:33 PM
Game guide is being authored and I will add it to the .zip archive when done.

Ian Murray
11-01-2009, 09:53 PM
Game guide is being authored and I will add it to the .zip archive when done.

That would be nice - i've forgotten how to play those old DOS games

Rincewind
12-01-2009, 03:42 PM
The archive has been updated to include a game guide in PDF format. I have just jotted it down pretty quickly so please excuse any errors. Copy editing suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

That link again. (http://www.bjcox.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=12)

Adamski
12-01-2009, 10:50 PM
The archive has been updated to include a game guide in PDF format. I have just jotted it down pretty quickly so please excuse any errors. Copy editing suggestions will be gratefully accepted.

That link again. (http://www.bjcox.com/modules.php?name=Downloads&d_op=viewdownload&cid=12)Thanks for doing that, RW. I intend to have a play with the game when I have some idle moments and don't feel like doing anything chessy!

Rincewind
14-01-2009, 05:55 PM
I found a couple of bugs.

The first one was an oversight of the porting process which lead to the Klingons firing very low energy Phaser attacks. This has now been fixed in v1.2 of the download. Please download again to pick up this fix.

The second bug existed in the original game and it causes Klingons who drop below 1 energy unit to disappear forcing the Enterprise to leave the quadrant and return upon when the Klingon will reappear on full energy.

This second bug I will fix but since it goes beyond the objective of a game port I will fix it in a new version of the game I am planning.

Ideas for the new version:

Remember all quadrants and Klingons for the length of the game (currently quadrants are regenerated when the enterprise enters a quadrant).

Fix the Klingon disappearing bug

Better graphics / interface. Icons for ships, etc. Point and click interface for setting course and locking phasers/photon torpedoes, etc.

Ideas from the floor?

Adamski
14-01-2009, 10:09 PM
Ta, RW. I have downloaded version 1.2. Too soon for any suggestions from me but if I think of any I will post them. Good to hear you are going to enhance it, fixing at least one defect of the original in the process. Good luck!

Space_Dude
14-01-2009, 11:26 PM
it aint working on my ancient laptop.

Rincewind
15-01-2009, 08:40 AM
it aint working on my ancient laptop.

What are the symptoms?

Space_Dude
15-01-2009, 10:41 AM
I downloaded it and the icon had a window sign on it and when i click it a window pops up saying choose an application... It wasnt a zip file...

Rincewind
15-01-2009, 11:15 AM
I downloaded it and the icon had a window sign on it and when i click it a window pops up saying choose an application... It wasnt a zip file...

The file you downloaded should have been ApplTrek.zip which is a ZIP archive built using WinRAR. I've attached the file to this post so you could try to download it from here in case there was some problem between your browser and my website.

Apple II Trek v1.2 attached...

<attachment removed>

Space_Dude
15-01-2009, 11:26 AM
Still not working!! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

Adamski
15-01-2009, 11:30 AM
I have WinRAR as my zip software, which may explain why it downloads and unzips no worries for me. Maybe DeMann is trying with WinZip and maybe the file format is unsupported there?

Rincewind
15-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Still not working!! :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall: :wall:

I downloaded the evaluation v12.0 of WinZip and opened and ran the executable fine.

I suspect you may have an old version of WinZip and the compression used is not supported by your version. The easiest solution would probably be install the latest evaluation version of WinRAR or WinZIP and try again.

Rincewind
17-01-2009, 07:30 PM
I've released what will probably be my last release of this file for a while.

I've fixed a couple of bugs (hopefully the last few major ones) including the 30 year old disappearing Klingon bug.

I've also added the original Integer BASIC source code I ported from and the FreeBASIC source code I ported to. So if you want to tinker with the program you can download FreeBASIC and go for it.

If anyone spots any bugs or has any suggestions please post them in this thread.

Adamski
17-01-2009, 10:16 PM
Thanks for the work, RW. After Aus day Weekender I shall play a bit with the latest version - my 3rd download of Apple II Trek!

arosar
18-01-2009, 04:09 PM
We used to play with Apple II's back in high school. I think I played "Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?"

AR

Rincewind
18-01-2009, 04:46 PM
We used to play with Apple II's back in high school. I think I played "Where in the world is Carmen San Diego?"

That game would be a bit dated now. The break up of the Soviet Union, Yugoslavia and various other countries as well as the establishment of a common currency for many European countries. It would need a total rewrite. :)

Adamski
18-01-2009, 06:14 PM
I played Carmen too but on PC. I actually still have the 3.5 inch diskettes for the game. It was fun, but yes now dated.
I have never owned a Pc or other hardware made by Apple.

Rincewind
21-01-2009, 04:53 PM
I thought people might want to share end game bulletins too. I played a quick game just now: 30 Klingons and 3 bases. Things didn't go particularly poorly or well except that the sectors containing Klingons weren't that hard to find so I didn't waste much time searching for remaining targets.

Battle Factor: 68

< BULLETIN >

STARDATE 3426.1

TO: ALL UNITS

WE HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED THAT THE STARSHIP
ENTERPRISE HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL AFTER
2.1 YEARS OF ITS 3 YEAR MISSION. THE
ENTERPRISE DESTROYED ALL 30 KLINGON
BATTLE CRUISERS IN ITS MISSION.

THIS BRILLIANT PERFORMANCE MEANS
VICTORY FOR THE FEDERATION.

STARFLEET COMMAND HEREBY ISSUES ORDERS
FOR PROMOTION TO ADMIRAL FOR THE
CAPTAIN OF THE ENTERPRISE FOR A
BATTLE FACTOR OF 68 IN THIS MISSION.

This one is from a week or so ago. It is the highest battle factor I can remember for a successful mission. 33 Klingons and I don't remember the number of bases, maybe two considering the high battle factor.

Battle factor: 116 (!!)

< BULLETIN >

STARDATE 3426.8

TO: ALL UNITS

WE HAVE BEEN NOTIFIED THAT THE STARSHIP
ENTERPRISE HAS BEEN SUCCESSFUL AFTER
2.8 YEARS OF ITS 3 YEAR MISSION. THE
ENTERPRISE DESTROYED ALL 33 KLINGON
BATTLE CRUISERS IN ITS MISSION.

THIS BRILLIANT PERFORMANCE MEANS
VICTORY FOR THE FEDERATION.

STARFLEET COMMAND HEREBY ISSUES ORDERS
FOR PROMOTION TO ADMIRAL FOR THE
CAPTAIN OF THE ENTERPRISE FOR A
BATTLE FACTOR OF 116 IN THIS MISSION.

Space_Dude
22-01-2009, 11:52 AM
Manged to make it work... Which file do i click??

Adamski
22-01-2009, 11:57 AM
Manged to make it work... Which file do i click??It should open in a DOS window.

Space_Dude
22-01-2009, 12:06 PM
Extremly hard to control
But ecxiting... Is this before the klingons joined tye federation??

Space_Dude
22-01-2009, 12:08 PM
still getting used to the controls.... Already been destroyed once and how do i rea the controls??

Adamski
22-01-2009, 12:11 PM
Is this before the klingons joined tye federation??Definitely!

Space_Dude
22-01-2009, 12:12 PM
Definitely!
so this must be based on the original series...

Adamski
22-01-2009, 12:19 PM
so this must be based on the original series...Definitely again. The original game is pretty old.

Space_Dude
22-01-2009, 12:50 PM
what other star trek games are out there thats free??

Rincewind
22-01-2009, 02:46 PM
still getting used to the controls.... Already been destroyed once and how do i rea the controls??

The archive contains a .pdf file which give a brief description of how to play the game. To work out trajectories and distances you can use the ship's computer (command 7) and then Compute Trajectory (option 5) but be aware that invoking the computer does cost a small amount of energy,

The best way to kill a lot of klingons without being hurt is to go to the computer and lock photon torpedoes (option3) onto all targets with a clear trajectory and then lock course (option 4) to an adjacent sector which will put you off the trajectory of any photon torpedoes the klingons might fire. Then you choose 6 to exit computer and 5 to file photons and A for automatic. This will move klingons, move enterprise, klingon fire and then enterprise fires. If you do it right, you can destroy lots of klingons quickly using this technique.