PDA

View Full Version : Bit of advice

Alexrules01
08-01-2009, 10:41 PM
Ok, I played in a Junior tournament today, and scored a rather disappointing 5/8. It was onlly 15 minutes, no added time, which is different to Over an hour, but I think I should improve on these things overall
I have pulled myself to getting better, because I really want to.
I will be playing in the Newcastle Open next month, on the 13 and 14th (?) of Feburaury, which gives me a bit over a month to sharpen my skills.

First, I seem to calculate variations etc, but Once I start to play the line, I suddenly realise I have missed one simple move that refutes my whole line, and my positions crumbles.
Any advice on how to reduce these oversights to a minimum?

Also, my arch nemesis, The Clock! I seem to ALWAYS be in time trouble, whether its a 15 minute game or a long-ish Weekend Round Game.
Any tips on how to make the clock my friend? :)

And any other possible advice would be appreciated. I am hoping to leap up over 1600 by the end of this year.
I could do this, I do play really good games against tough opponents, but other games I just let it all fall apart.

Adamski
08-01-2009, 11:21 PM
Rather than focus on the more recent disappointment, congratulations Alex M on winning a tournament in NSW Country not so long ago.

Best way to "make the clock your friend" is to manage your time so that you don't have to have too many long thinks. Obviously, the more accurate you can be in analysing lines without re-analysing them endlessly, the easier it is to do this. Playing repertoire openings where you know the patterns also helps save time for the later complexities of the middle and maybe end game.

Bereaved
09-01-2009, 12:55 AM
Hi Alex,

Ok, I played in a Junior tournament today, and scored a rather disappointing 5/8. It was only 15 minutes, no added time, which is different to over an hour, but I think I should improve on these things overall
I have pulled myself to getting better, because I really want to.
I will be playing in the Newcastle Open next month, on the 13 and 14th (?) of February, which gives me a bit over a month to sharpen my skills.

I had many worse tournament results when I was new to the game

First, I seem to calculate variations etc, but Once I start to play the line, I suddenly realise I have missed one simple move that refutes my whole line, and my positions crumbles.
Any advice on how to reduce these oversights to a minimum?

It is often better to end a variation on your opponent's move, so if there is some saving, it is your move to do it on. Also recheck each step of the way as you play the combination to ensure it is still sound as you follow it along

Also spending a lot of time thinking about the position, not individual moves

To improve calculation it is also useful to do long problems in your head, not necessarily hard ones, to improve visualization.

Also, my arch nemesis, The Clock! I seem to ALWAYS be in time trouble, whether its a 15 minute game or a long-ish Weekend Round Game.
Any tips on how to make the clock my friend? :)

Make the clock your friend by playing according to the time control and realize you do not have to make every move a perfect move.

And any other possible advice would be appreciated. I am hoping to leap up over 1600 by the end of this year.
I could do this, I do play really good games against tough opponents, but other games I just let it all fall apart.

I hope you achieve your aim

Take care and God Bless, Macavity

Adamski
09-01-2009, 07:37 AM
Good advice, macavity, and I love your sig!

Alexrules01
09-01-2009, 08:29 PM
Rather than focus on the more recent disappointment, congratulations Alex M on winning a tournament in NSW Country not so long ago.

Thanks! I am hoping to improve on that for this years NSW Country Junior championship, by getting a clean 5/5!

Adamski and Macavity, Thanks for the advice.