PDA

View Full Version : The Sunday Mail chess column ceases publication

Ian Murray
06-01-2009, 10:08 AM
A Queensland chess era ends this Sunday with the final chess column to be published in the online version of The Sunday Mail (www.news.com.au/couriermail/agenda/0,,5010300,00.html)

Readership has fallen to the point where the column is unsustainable.

The column's history is a little murky, but seems to have started in The Brisbane Courier around 1907. A merger with The Daily Mail in 1933 created The Courier-Mail and its Sunday version The Sunday Mail.

Basil
06-01-2009, 11:05 AM
A Queensland chess era ends this Sunday with the final chess column to be published in the online version of The Sunday Mail (www.news.com.au/couriermail/agenda/0,,5010300,00.html)

Readership has fallen to the point where the column is unsustainable.

The column's history is a little murky, but seems to have started in The Brisbane Courier around 1907. A merger with The Daily Mail in 1933 created The Courier-Mail and its Sunday version The Sunday Mail.
How would those planks at News know about the readership of the chess column? Or are they referring to their readership generally?

antichrist
06-01-2009, 11:25 AM
How would those planks at News know about the readership of the chess column? Or are they referring to their readership generally?

coz it is the online version they can see how many hits it has had. [mod-delete]

Basil
06-01-2009, 12:14 PM
coz it is the online version they can see how many hits it has had.
I thought Ian was referring to the printed version and he was simply noting that the online version of same was to be the time it appeared (after the killing of the printed version).

Ian Murray
06-01-2009, 01:16 PM
I thought Ian was referring to the printed version and he was simply noting that the online version of same was to be the time it appeared (after the killing of the printed version).
The column in print disappeared when the paper was revamped in 2007. With online publication, they know exactly how many unique readers there are

Desmond
06-01-2009, 01:29 PM
Printed version was always hard to find. They moved it around the paper from week to week.

I liked seeing the names of the successful problem solvers. Sometime I knew them, sometimes not.

Don't forget to put in a problem (that will never be answered). mwahaha

Ian Murray
06-01-2009, 01:40 PM
Printed version was always hard to find. They moved it around the paper from week to week.

I liked seeing the names of the successful problem solvers. Sometime I knew them, sometimes not.

Don't forget to put in a problem (that will never be answered). mwahaha
It was always on the crossword page, which did move around a bit. The online version was nigh on impossible to find for quite a while, until a link was added among the 'regular columnists' box on the front page

I have this week's problem selected, one from the column in 1911

Capablanca-Fan
06-01-2009, 02:40 PM
Cancellation is appalling news!

Basil
06-01-2009, 03:43 PM
The column in print disappeared when the paper was revamped in 2007. With online publication, they know exactly how many unique readers there are
Thanks. Now on to the other. News said the column was unsustainable? Ha! The huge cost must have been worring them for years.

Ian Murray
06-01-2009, 04:17 PM
Thanks. Now on to the other. News said the column was unsustainable? Ha! The huge cost must have been worring them for years.
The writing's been on the wall for a while now. I have a pretty good idea of readership by the number of problem solutions submitted. Of the healthy stable of regulars of a few years ago, only two remain.

There was a time when newspaper columns were the only source of fresh chess news. Now the internet satiates every appetite - even giving us live games as they are played.

Like the horse and buggy, another victim of technology

ER
07-01-2009, 03:14 AM
Howie, how come there isn't a chess column in the Scene?
CAGLES

Basil
07-01-2009, 09:43 AM
Howie, how come there isn't a chess column in the Scene?
CAGLES
Hmmm ...

Capablanca-Fan
09-01-2009, 01:32 PM
Anyway, QLD chessplayers owe Ian a great debt for his columns over the years.:clap: :clap: :clap: Even one of my work colleagues, who has never attended a chess club, enjoyed the puzzles and even got his name in the paper for solving one.

Ian Murray
09-01-2009, 02:13 PM
Anyway, QLD chessplayers owe Ian a great debt for his columns over the years.:clap: :clap: :clap: Even one of my work colleagues, who has never attended a chess club, enjoyed the puzzles and even got his name in the paper for solving one.
Thank you, kind sir.

I am but the last in the line - the columnists before me were Keith Whittam, Allan Wilkes, Bruce Holliday and the original Upminster and former CAQ president, Frank Pugh (although before my arrival in Queensland).

Basil
09-01-2009, 04:50 PM
Anyway, QLD chessplayers owe Ian a great debt for his columns over the years.:clap: :clap: :clap:
^^^ Wot he sed.

Garrett
09-01-2009, 05:53 PM
Thank you, kind sir.

I am but the last in the line - the columnists before me were Keith Whittam, Allan Wilkes, Bruce Holliday and the original Upminster and former CAQ president, Frank Pugh (although before my arrival in Queensland).

Thanks Ian

I know Keith, but didn't know he had fulfilled that role.

Thanks to you, Keith, and all the others.

cheers
Garrett.

Ian Murray
11-01-2009, 10:25 AM
The ultimate column now in 'print' at www.news.com.au/couriermail/agenda/0,,5010300,00.html Sans diagram - I'm chasing that up

Ian Murray
12-01-2009, 11:42 PM
The diagram is now up - an award-winner by Arthur Mosely as published in The Brisbane Courier in 1911

ER
20-01-2009, 12:31 PM
The following has been sent to the Editor
of Brisbane's Courier Mail

Dear Sir
I would like to express my dissappointment for discontinuing the publication of Mr Ian Murray's Chess Column. I always followed it since it provided a very comprehensive and inclusive information about our beloved Sport as well as very interesting Chess problems. Please, include it again in your esteemed newspaper.

Elliott Renzies
SBS producer
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2009, 12:34 PM
SBS producer
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia

Are you allowed to make public statements in the role of "SBS producer" like that?

ER
20-01-2009, 12:37 PM
Are you allowed to make public statements in the role of "SBS producer" like that?

Not really! :whistle: but I do anyway! :)

Ian Murray
20-01-2009, 07:26 PM
The following has been sent to the Editor
of Brisbane's Courier Mail

Dear Sir
I would like to express my dissappointment for discontinuing the publication of Mr Ian Murray's Chess Column. I always followed it since it provided a very comprehensive and inclusive information about our beloved Sport as well as very interesting Chess problems. Please, include it again in your esteemed newspaper.

Elliott Renzies
SBS producer
Melbourne
Victoria, Australia

'onya jak - they must crumble under that sort of pressure :)

antichrist
20-01-2009, 09:24 PM
you can all tap into the Ian Rogers chess column printed in online version of Byron Echo - u know the column that got me banned. And what Byron player recently won a big comp???