PDA

View Full Version : Fairfield Winter Cup on 10 July

News Bot
04-07-2004, 10:03 AM
Fairfield Winter Cup on 10 July{br}{br}View the Entire Article (http://members.ozemail.com.au/~nswca/04ffieldwcupAd.htm){br}

Paul S
06-07-2004, 04:28 PM
There is a good chance that I will be able to play in this comp, as at present I have nothing organised for this weekend.

However, I find it rather disconcerting to read comments in the attached link (which is on the NSWCA website) such as "(these details are preliminary and may change before the starting date)". I mean, FMD, its only 4 days away till the start date and there is a comment like this on the flyer! Does this mean that players could travel to Fairfield on Saturday morning only to find that either a) the venue has changed or b) the comp has been rescheduled to another date or c) the prizemoney has changed or d) the entry fees have changed?

Also odd about this flyer is that there is no contact person listed and no indication of who is the DOP (although I presume it is Bob Keast).

Amiel, you are a member of Fairfield, so what is going on with your chess club??? Is this comp taking place this weekend or what? I don't want to run the risk of travelling all the way to Fairfield only to find that there is nothing on! Also, what (if anything) has changed from the "(these details are preliminary and may change before the starting date)"???

I enjoyed playing in the 2002 Fairfield Winter Cup and (if nothing comes up in the next few days) I would like to play in the 2004 Fairfield Winter Cup this weekend (my first weekender for this year except for Doeberl), but I won't waste my time travelling out to Fairfield based on "(these details are preliminary and may change before the starting date)"!!!

Can someone from the Fairfield Chess club (eg Amiel) get their act together and let the Sydney chess community know what exactly are the arrangements for the Fairfield Winter Cup??? At this point in time (4 days before tournament starts), I'm not interested in "preliminary details that may change before the starting date" - I want to know the ACTUAL details!!!

Bill Gletsos
06-07-2004, 04:31 PM
My understanding is the event is taking place and the DOP is Charles Zworestine.
As far as I am aware Bob has not been involved for some time.

arosar
06-07-2004, 04:34 PM
Listen to me youse all....I'm not a member of this chess club OK! I only been involved cos exactly of this misunderstanding that I still am so people still contact me.

Ask Minh if youse all want more info.

AR

Bill Gletsos
06-07-2004, 04:36 PM
Listen to me youse all
Rather than youse all dont you just mean Paul since no one else was asking any questions. :whistle:

Paul S
06-07-2004, 04:37 PM
Listen to me youse all....I'm not a member of this chess club OK! I only been involved cos exactly of this misunderstanding that I still am so people still contact me.
AR

OK, sorry, I wasn't aware that you had left Fairfield chess club recently.

Ask Minh if youse all want more info.
AR

Who is Minh?

Paul S
06-07-2004, 04:58 PM
My understanding is the event is taking place and the DOP is Charles Zworestine.

Thanks Bill. I'll be at St George tonight, so I will probably see Charles there tonight (unless he's playing for St George in the Grade Matches at an away venue tonight).

Assuming that I see Charles tonight, I will let people know in this thread what he has to say.

As far as I am aware Bob has not been involved for some time.

Bob took up a new job about 3 months ago which I remember him telling me something along the lines of "if I get this job it is unlikely that I will be able to spend any time on chess". This is probably why he has dropped out entirely of the chess scene for the last 3 months and why the GP results have not been updated since February.

Bill Gletsos
06-07-2004, 04:58 PM
Who is Minh?
If you check out the fairfield Winter Cup in the tournament calendar on the NSWCA web site you will see Minh's contact details.

Paul S
06-07-2004, 05:10 PM
If you check out the fairfield Winter Cup in the tournament calendar on the NSWCA web site you will see Minh's contact details.

OK, thanks for that, Bill. It looks like one needs to be a detective to find out basic details about weekend chess tournaments in Sydney these days! I mean, one would have thought this sort of BASIC information would be in the tournament flyer, and not buried in some hard to find secondary reference!

In light of your post I have just looked up the NSWCA tournament calender (not easy to find - is well down the list of links on NSWCA website) and found Minh (Van Le) contact details (phone number) that is listed for the Fairfield Winter Cup. If I can't get in touch with Charles Z tonight I will give Minh a ring.

Bill Gletsos
06-07-2004, 05:41 PM
OK, thanks for that, Bill. It looks like one needs to be a detective to find out basic details about weekend chess tournaments in Sydney these days! I mean, one would have thought this sort of BASIC information would be in the tournament flyer, and not buried in some hard to find secondary reference!
Remember it isnt a NSWCA event.
We just publish what is provided.

In light of your post I have just looked up the NSWCA tournament calender (not easy to find - is well down the list of links on NSWCA website)
There is a link called Tournaments right at the top of the web site.

Paul S
06-07-2004, 11:42 PM
Assuming that I see Charles tonight, I will let people know in this thread what he has to say.

OK, I spoke to Charles Z tonight, and it looks like its all systems go with the Fairfield Winter Cup! :D

Charles will be the arbiter on Sunday, but he is not sure who is doing it on Saturday (my suspicion is that it will be Bob Keast).

I forgot to ask Charles if the entry fees and prize money etc are as per the "preliminary" flyer, but from what I recall, it looks to be similar to last year's entry fees and prize money etc, so it is most likely correct. Anyway, I guess those chess players whose attendance depends on these sorts of factors can ring Minh Van Le. I'm sure that Minh Van Le and the Fairfield Chess Club have everything under control! :clap:

I may or may not be there (won't know until Friday), depending on other commitments!

Paul S
06-07-2004, 11:52 PM
Remember it isnt a NSWCA event.
We just publish what is provided.

Fair comment. FWIW, the NSWCA tournaments nearly always have all the relevant basic information in their flyers.

There is a link called Tournaments right at the top of the web site.

Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't noticed it before! A worthwhile recent enhancement to the NSWCA website (well done, Mal :clap: ).

Garvinator
06-07-2004, 11:58 PM
Thanks for pointing this out. I hadn't noticed it before! A worthwhile recent enhancement to the NSWCA website (well done, Mal :clap: ).
its hidden in plain sight, i hate when they do that ;) :lol: :whistle:

Paul S
07-07-2004, 12:14 AM
its hidden in plain sight, i hate when they do that ;) :lol: :whistle:

So do I! ;) :lol: :whistle: