PDA

View Full Version : Christian beliefs and denominations

CameronD
15-12-2008, 04:01 PM
This thread is for people to explain the beliefs and core value of their christian denomination.

This thread is not to degenerate into the usual arguments or debate into which is right or wrong!!!!!!!!!!

CameronD
15-12-2008, 04:05 PM
Right.

I'm christian, though I dont have much confidence in denominations or the current church. I'm still trying to work things out as to the truth and how one is meant to be, which confuses me heaps.

I see Jesus as a radical man who went outside social/religious norms to help people in need rather than follow the rules. I believe the extreme basic tenents, but outside that am trying to work things out.

Adamski
15-12-2008, 04:19 PM
I attend a Baptist church, of which I am a "partner" (we changed the terminology from members) but I am not denominationalist. I have attended other denominations in the past including AoG and Elim (both Pentecostal). I am a "charismatic" (believing the Holy Spirit moves in the world today and can and does "keep on filling" believers and enable them to grow in the fruit of the Spirit - love, joy, peace etc. as per Galatians chapter 5) and a Young Earth Creationist. The latter is often abbreviated on this board to YEC and means believing that God created the universe approximately 6000 years ago, as opposed to millions of years ago. (Much about this view can be read in the "Does God Exist?" thread - pro and con.)
As a Baptist I most likely believe the same basic tenets of Christainity as Cameron does - Jesus' birth, death and resurrection; and His offer of salvation to all who believe and turn from their sins and follow Him. In addition, Baptists believe in baptism by immersion as the biblical way (see the book of Acts). At the same time we do not discount that baptism by sprinkling can be a significant spiritual step for some.
If anyone's interested I can post more on Baptist beliefs.

I also have noticed lately that I have an over-attraction to the use of brackets/ parentheses in my posts. I will try to address this failing - from my next post!

Adamski
15-12-2008, 04:26 PM
I'm christian, though I dont have much confidence in denominations or the current church. I'm still trying to work things out as to the truth and how one is meant to be, which confuses me heaps.

I see Jesus as a radical man who went outside social/religious norms to help people in need rather than follow the rules. I believe the extreme basic tenents, but outside that am trying to work things out.Cam, the best tool to help you work things out is the Bible. Remember that Scripture is the best interpreter of Scripture and follow the historical/ grammatical interpretation of it. E.g., consider it in its original context. Use a good modern translation, such as the NIV, NKJV or NASB. For straight reading, The Message paraphrase is good.

Capablanca-Fan
15-12-2008, 04:35 PM
In my job (http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/3547/), I write non-denominationally and speak to churches of many different denominations. I endorse Adamski's comments about the importance of Scripture and the grammatical-historical interpretation and a modern translation. After all, Christ Himself said "Scripture cannot be broken" (John 10:35), "it is written" as final, and even endorsed the parts of Scripture that misotheists most love to mock—see Jesus Christ on the infallibility of Scripture (http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/3112/).

Spiny Norman
15-12-2008, 05:15 PM
I'm a fairly Pentecostal flavour of Christian, although I am not currently attending any organised church meetings. I am deeply suspicious of the level of "control" that is exercised over people in some organised environments. I believe in the authority of Scripture, however I have doubts about my own ability to interpret it correctly, which leads me to be more cautious these days about being critical of others who think differently to me (other Christian doctrines/interpretations I mean). I've learned to have a deep respect for non-Christians in the past several years, even whilst vigorously disagreeing with them on some key issues (e.g. existence of God) ... I've found most of the people I have interacted with here on the subject to be genuine, even if my conclusion nevertheless is that they are wrong, and I hope that they extend to me the same courtesy by allowing me to reach different conclusions based on the same basic evidences. If there is one key thing that I have learned in my Christian life in the past 5 years it is this: Christ died for my personal freedom in the present world, not just my eternal salvation; that freedom was hard won, so I am working hard to develop attitudes and behaviours that conform to that view.

MichaelBaron
17-12-2008, 11:18 AM
I attend a Baptist church, of which I am a "partner" !

I like the concept of Church members being called 'Partners". It makes everyone feel equal. As for Jesus -even majoirty of non-believers agrees that he did exist for real and he was an outstanding individual who had revolutionary influence over others.

Adamski
17-12-2008, 11:40 AM
Yes, Michael. It was felt the idea of membership has some negative connotations these days. Partners are equals with the pastor.

Capablanca-Fan
17-12-2008, 11:55 AM
“If one is disinclined to surrender to God one is inclined to read the text in the light of our own ‘culture’. Are we surrendering to the picture of God in Scripture? Or are we putting ourselves over Scripture and rewriting it in terms of our own preferences?” — Dr Kenneth Matthews, Old Testament scholar at Alabama's Samford University, author of a commentary Genesis 1–11.

Oepty
20-12-2008, 08:46 PM
Almost missed this thread

I am a Christadelphian. This means I disagree with the Christians on this thread about alot of things, primarily the deity of Christ. I believe he was the Son of God, not God and he was a human. He overcame the same temptations to do wrong we encounter in life. I also believe that God's Kingdom will be here on earth and not in heaven. It will be more heaven extending to earth, rather than us going to heaven. I am also a creationist, although I tend to think efforts using science to prove creation is a bit pointless (Sorry Jono). I am strongly pro-life and anti-war, or killing of any sort.
Scott

Oepty
20-12-2008, 08:48 PM
Yes, Michael. It was felt the idea of membership has some negative connotations these days. Partners are equals with the pastor.

Why not use the term brethren? It is biblical. Partners seems to businesslike to me.
Scott

Spiny Norman
21-12-2008, 06:29 AM
Partners seems to businesslike to me.
I think that's exactly why the AOG use the term. They are business-like and do not treat people in the congregation as equals. But perhaps I should keep my observations for another thread and another time ... :eek:

Adamski
21-12-2008, 08:18 AM
Why not use the term brethren? It is biblical. Partners seems to businesslike to me.
ScottHi Scott. 2 reasons I think. 1) Brethren has too much male connotation (meaning brothers) and 2) it also has the connotation of the Brethren denominations - both Open and Closed. Partnership term works well for us. Paul used the term too. E.g. Philippians 1:5.

Oepty
21-12-2008, 04:18 PM
Hi Scott. 2 reasons I think. 1) Brethren has too much male connotation (meaning brothers) and 2) it also has the connotation of the Brethren denominations - both Open and Closed. Partnership term works well for us. Paul used the term too. E.g. Philippians 1:5.

Use sisters for females. I slipped up though, partners does seem to biblical. Philemon 1:17 is another example
Scott

Capablanca-Fan
21-12-2008, 04:23 PM
This means I disagree with the Christians on this thread about alot of things, primarily the deity of Christ.
I have defended the deity of Christ (http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/2639) and the Trinity (http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/3632/).

I am also a creationist, although I tend to think efforts using science to prove creation is a bit pointless (Sorry Jono).
No point apologizing to me, given that I don't believe science proves things anyway. (http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/2641/) All the same, the Bible teaches the duty of logically defending the faith and refuting opposition:

‘Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have’ (1 Peter 3:15)
‘We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ’ (2 Corinthians 10:5).

For more, see my article Loving God with all your mind: logic and creation (http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/1860/).

Oepty
21-12-2008, 04:35 PM
I have defended the deity of Christ (http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/2639) and the Trinity (http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/3632/).

So you have, but I am not sure this thread is the place for an indepth discussion.

No point apologizing to me, given that I don't believe science proves things anyway. (http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/2641/) All the same, the Bible teaches the duty of logically defending the faith and refuting opposition:

‘Always be prepared to give an answer to everyone who asks you to give the reason for the hope that you have’ (1 Peter 3:15)
‘We demolish arguments and every pretension that sets itself up against the knowledge of God, and we take captive every thought to make it obedient to Christ’ (2 Corinthians 10:5).

For more, see my article Loving God with all your mind: logic and creation (http://creationontheweb.com/content/view/1860/).

I may have misdiscribed what you do, but I meant what you and others do.
Scott

CameronD
21-12-2008, 05:51 PM
This thread is not to degenerate into the usual arguments or debate into which is right or wrong!!!!!!!!!!

People who want to debate things need to do so elsewhere and ask mods to move such debates elsewhere.

Kaitlin
21-12-2008, 05:56 PM
there is a show on TV now (not right now) I watched the first one last week ~its about why people need to beleive in ... wait this is prob the wrong thread I will move it to my philosphie thread