PDA

View Full Version : trump suit troubles.

bruce
01-07-2004, 07:33 PM
I had a hand today where I was faced with a trump suit of AJ8642 opposite T5.

I spent about 5 minutes trying to work out the right way to play this suit combination.

Any help out there?

Bruce

Rincewind
01-07-2004, 07:39 PM
I had a hand today where I was faced with a trump suit of AJ8642 opposite T5.

Did dummy have the long or short holding?

Rincewind
01-07-2004, 08:23 PM

Maybe it doe't matter too much but this plan might work better if the T x holding was hidden.

The natural way (to me) is to hope for a three-two break. Play the 2 and finesse with the 10. At the next lead of trumps lead up to the A and (provided either the K or Q is the last card out) then play your side suits. If you were lucky enough to catch a doubleton honour to the right of the ten then lead the Jack and only lose one trump trick.

This way you give up two tricks but only one if there is a doubleton honour to the right of the ten.

If the 2 is covered by the K or Q then play low and later play the ten and let it ride unless the next player covers with the other honour.

Am I close?

bruce
01-07-2004, 09:35 PM

A guy walks into a porsche dealership and asks "How much for one of those babies?"

So the car-salesman looks down his nose and replies "If you have to ask, then you can't afford it".

Am I close?
Relatively. Let's say the right answer is "the sun", and a good guess was "Venus", my solution at the table was "the earth" - your answer was your anus.

Re-read the problem. Neither hand had the 3.

Bruce
Fairfield.

Rincewind
01-07-2004, 10:04 PM
A guy walks into a porsche dealership and asks "How much for one of those babies?"

So the car-salesman looks down his nose and replies "If you have to ask, then you can't afford it".

I'll take that mean it doesn't matter.

Relatively. Let's say the right answer is "the sun", and a good guess was "Venus", my solution at the table was "the earth" - your answer was your anus.

Re-read the problem. Neither hand had the 3.

Sorry, I meant the 2 obviously. I've corrected my original post. Does this help or am I still aboard the Voyager, bound for interstellar space?

Barry
Fairfield.

Now you're messing with my mind!