PDA

View Full Version : Respecting the Privacy of Members

PPWPFL
03-12-2008, 06:49 PM
I would like to know whether the moderators at this site reveal private information used when an account is registered. I ask this because recently on the other Australian chess forum a member named Boris, who is not a moderator, here referred to me by my real name. I have not revealed my real name on either forum and therefore the most plausible explanation is that a moderator here provided that private information. Can someone please tell me what policy if any is in place here to respect the pirvacy of members?

Thank you, PPWPFL

ER
03-12-2008, 07:07 PM
hi PPWPFL and welcome!
I do not have such a problem since everyone here knows my name.
However, since I have been posting here (July 2006) I do not recall a similar case.
I am sure someone will answer your question.
I also read Boris's postings here and I consider him as a serious, reliable and well informed chatter regardless if I agree or disagree with his postings.
Are you sure you don't know eachother?
Or maybe in your participation in other chat forums haven't given information about your person?
Or maybe someone else referred to your name or other personal information leading to your identification?
In any case welcome again, and take care!
Elliott

eclectic
03-12-2008, 07:15 PM
if private information were given out about members then axiom's identity would have been revealed long ago :rolleyes:

Desmond
03-12-2008, 07:17 PM
I would like to know whether the moderators at this site reveal private information used when an account is registered. I ask this because recently on the other Australian chess forum a member named Boris, who is not a moderator, here referred to me by my real name. I have not revealed my real name on either forum and therefore the most plausible explanation is that a moderator here provided that private information. Can someone please tell me what policy if any is in place here to respect the pirvacy of members?

Thank you, PPWPFLPP, perhaps you could give me a reason to answer your question when you did not answer mine.

Igor_Goldenberg
03-12-2008, 07:52 PM
if private information were given out about members then axiom's identity would have been revealed long ago :rolleyes:
You think admins know his identity?

Kevin Bonham
03-12-2008, 08:29 PM
Amusing that PPWPFL kicks up such a fuss about this, however it happened, when he happily and vacuously trolls away on a forum moderated by Matthew Sweeney, whose past form when it comes to disrespect of privacy includes unrepentantly publishing private emails without permission and under false pretences.

Perhaps little Purple-Piffle (this is how I pronounce his peculiar username) gave away sufficient information about his rating elsewhere for his identity to be deduced. Perhaps not. I cannot say right now as the "sad bastard" attitude (to quote Phil Donnelly) of the owner of the Toolbox has led to my account being deprived of the search function over there! :lol:

WhiteElephant
03-12-2008, 09:02 PM
You think admins know his identity?

Yeah, I don't remember having to give my real name when I joined this forum. How would the admins know? Unless it's part of an email address which needs to be supplied to register.

ElevatorEscapee
04-12-2008, 07:58 PM
Hi PPWPFL, there are those who would pay Big Money to know Axiom's true identity... not that it would actually profit them in anyway whatsoever to know (other than to assuage their curiousity)! :lol:

Historically speaking, there are those on Internet Forums, (and who really should know better), who go out of their way to either hint at, or try to reveal, the private information of other members (who may wish to remain anonymous).

Apparently these people think that by doing so, it will particularly displease those who they "don't like" or who have taken a contrary position to their opinions on some matter in the past.

In any case, I have found that the best forums tend to stamp out this sort of practise. If I find a forum that abuses my privacy, I tend to stop posting on it, and I do my best to put up a warning to others that this may happen to them.

If you have experienced a forum that abuses your private information, then please let the world know about it, so as we know not to sign up there!

Cheers,

~EE :)

Kevin Bonham
04-12-2008, 09:41 PM
Hi PPWPFL, there are those who would pay Big Money to know Axiom's true identity...

Hell yeah, I would probably pay ten (10) cents, but ssssssh, I don't want anyone to know, just in case I can get it for five. :lol:

Space_Dude
05-12-2008, 10:49 PM
hi PPWPFL and welcome!
I do not have such a problem since everyone here knows my name.
However, since I have been posting here (July 2006) I do not recall a similar case.
I am sure someone will answer your question.
I also read Boris's postings here and I consider him as a serious, reliable and well informed chatter regardless if I agree or disagree with his postings.
Are you sure you don't know eachother?
Or maybe in your participation in other chat forums haven't given information about your person?
Or maybe someone else referred to your name or other personal information leading to your identification?
In any case welcome again, and take care!
Elliott
I didnt know ur real name till now:eek: :doh:

ER
06-12-2008, 08:12 PM
Always time to learn new things son! :)

eclectic
08-12-2008, 01:44 PM

Thank you, PPWPFL

according to bill in the shoutbox last night the owner of the other site revealed your name in his shoutbox upon your registration but realising his gaff quickly deleted it

now let's see if the coo cooing carrier pigeon notices this and carries it back to his fellow feathered fiends

or is he selective about what information he chooses to notice?

ElevatorEscapee
09-12-2008, 07:39 PM
From the above responses, this forum would seem to be one that does not respect the privacy of anonymous posters... :( :confused:

Kevin Bonham
09-12-2008, 08:31 PM
From the above responses, this forum would seem to be one that does not respect the privacy of anonymous posters... :( :confused:

What causes you to draw that negativist conclusion given that it has still yet to be established how Boris found out Purple-Piffle's name?

PPWPFL
09-12-2008, 08:50 PM
What causes you to draw that negativist conclusion given that it has still yet to be established how Boris found out Purple-Piffle's name?

So it is yet to be established? I thought Bill said that the reason had been established. There isn't any confusion amongst the moderating staff is there? Boris it is time for you to come forth and tell everyone how you discovered my name and why you thought it necessary to use private details on a public forum for everyone to see. If you're telling the truth then you are the only person that can answer these questions.

Thanks

eclectic
09-12-2008, 08:55 PM
boris is under no obligation to reveal how he discovered your identity anymore than journalists are required to reveal their sources

Kevin Bonham
09-12-2008, 09:19 PM
So it is yet to be established? I thought Bill said that the reason had been established.

What Bill said is that AO published your name in the Toolbox shoutbox. So that explains how your name came to be public knowledge but at the time I made my above post it had yet to be established how Boris came to know that was your name. And so far as EE is concerned, it has still yet to be established so he is still barking up the wrong tree.

There is only a privacy issue on this site if your name was obtained by a moderator, who did not previously know it, using mod functions and that mod then leaked it that way. However, that isn't what happened.

Of course, AO denies Bill's version of how your name entered the public domain. But it has been repeatedly demonstrated that AO is extremely insincere (recent eg: his contradictory fibbing about the identity of Carrier-Pigeon) and, worse still, has a very poor memory for details. As such his unsubstantiated denial is tantamount to an admission that what Bill said is exactly what happened.

Boris it is time for you to come forth and tell everyone how you discovered my name and why you thought it necessary to use private details on a public forum for everyone to see.

I think you need to realise the one you should be blaming is Arrogant-One and if you post loyally on a site as abysmal as his then having your name carelessly disclosed by him is an occupational hazard.

PPWPFL
09-12-2008, 09:49 PM
What Bill said is that AO published your name in the Toolbox shoutbox. Okay, lets start there. How does Bill Gletsos know that this was how Brian found out my real name? Why would Brian Thomas just tell Bill Gletsos that and no one else? How would that conversation go exactly? "Hi Bill, I just wanted you only to know that I was watching the Toolbox one day, and very briefly AO shouted Welcome Jaydon, and then he quickly changed it to PPWPFL." Is that how it went down? And Brian has admitted already that he 'worked it out', his own words. Why would he use this expression 'worked it out' if he saw AO make this alleged shout? What would have there been to 'work out' if he saw AO call me by my real name? And Brian has admitted ' PP, everyine leaves their doodoo all over the net for all to see', but now he seems to be saying it was AO?

I await your diligent responses. PPWPFL

Bill Gletsos
09-12-2008, 09:59 PM
Okay, lets start there. How does Bill Gletsos know that this was how Brian found out my real name? Why would Brian Thomas just tell Bill Gletsos that and no one else? How would that conversation go exactly? "Hi Bill, I just wanted you only to know that I was watching the Toolbox one day, and very briefly AO shouted Welcome Jaydon, and then he quickly changed it to PPWPFL." Is that how it went down? And Brian has admitted already that he 'worked it out', his own words. Why would he use this expression 'worked it out' if he saw AO make this alleged shout? What would have there been to 'work out' if he saw AO call me by my real name?

I await your diligent responses. PPWPFLYou just keep making false jumps in logic.
1) Given the attacks on people here by people over on the toolbox then it is likely posters here are monitoring the toolbox.
2) You yourself attacked KB over on the toolbox
3) I saw AO make the shout.
4) If I saw the shout then it is likely others saw it.
5) Anonymous posters who attack other posters dont deserve anonymity.

Kevin Bonham
09-12-2008, 10:18 PM
Okay, lets start there. How does Bill Gletsos know that this was how Brian found out my real name?

Where in the above does it say that this is how Bill "knew" this?

All we have above is that eclectic wrote:

according to bill in the shoutbox last night the owner of the other site revealed your name in his shoutbox upon your registration but realising his gaff quickly deleted it

That explains how Bill knows your name, and how others are likely to. It does not explain how Brian knows.

Why would Brian Thomas just tell Bill Gletsos that and no one else?
How would that conversation go exactly? "Hi Bill, I just wanted you only to know that I was watching the Toolbox one day, and very briefly AO shouted Welcome Jaydon, and then he quickly changed it to PPWPFL." Is that how it went down?

Obviously not since Bill already said he saw your name over there. Therefore he did not need Brian to tell him.

And Brian has admitted already that he 'worked it out', his own words.

Where did he say this? At a quick look I have been unable to find it.

Desmond
09-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Boris it is time for you to come forth and tell everyone how you discovered my name and why you thought it necessary to use private details on a public forum for everyone to see. If you're telling the truth then you are the only person that can answer these questions.

Thanks
If you think the "I don't believe you, tell the truth" line is going to inspire me to tell you anything, then you are sorely mistaken. As I told you in the other site's shoutbox, I think that you have been disingenuous from the very outset when you started engaging with me there. When I invited you to reflect on that, you did not. I do not think that you genuinely care what the real answer is, only if that answer can be used to goad this site in some way. I say this because in reality, I outed you to a handful of people who may have read that thread and didn't know your identity. But by trying to convert a molehill into a mountain, in this thread and in both of the shoutboxes over the last several days, probably most people on both forums now know who you are. In addition to this, you could have just denied it was you. Obviously Alex still has much to teach you if your first instinct is not to deny the truth.

When you thought the mods here outed you, it was some sort of indecent crime. When you learned Toolie was the one who originally did it, you still try to muddy the waters and goad this site. I pointed out your double-standards and you said I was calling you names. Of course I do not need to call you names, only state the truth. And the truth is that your only business here is trying to goad the chesschat site.

If you would like to review the Grapevine thread you will see that the reason I entered it was in response to some trolling by CP over a disagreement I had with Moz approx 1 year ago. Why you entered the thread to respond to me is not clear, but what is clear is that you declined to answer my questions. In fact you said things like "I could tell you but then I would have to kill you." And now here you are, moaning that I am not answering your questions.

So I see no reason why I should do you the favour of answering your questions.

PS How's that opinion of post# 59 coming along?

Bill Gletsos
10-12-2008, 12:17 AM
You just keep making false jumps in logic.
1) Given the attacks on people here by people over on the toolbox then it is likely posters here are monitoring the toolbox.
2) You yourself attacked KB over on the toolbox
3) I saw AO make the shout.
4) If I saw the shout then it is likely others saw it.
5) Anonymous posters who attack other posters dont deserve anonymity.In all my statements here in the shoutbox I said:

"BTW if PPWPFL wants to know who outed his first name as being Jaydon it was AO back when Jaydon first joined over there"

This was said at 12:02 AM on 08/12 and again later that day at 2:44 PM.

I never said it was a shout.

Eclectic incorrectly reported this in post @12 that AO did so in the toolbox shoutbox.

Others then quoted Eclectic.

I did not point this out as it was better to leave it ambiguous.

However in my haste to respond to PPWPFL above I used his own words when refuting one of his statements.

Points 4) and 5) above should read

4) I saw AO out PPWPFL
5) If I saw AO out PPWPFL then it is likely others saw it.

In fact PPWPFL in his shout at 09-12-2008 11:12 PM called it a post:

"saw the post with your own eyes Bill! wow that is a nice story you have going there "

Obviously PPWPFL and AO know something about a post. :hmm:

Ian Rout
10-12-2008, 07:59 AM
I don't see where this discussion has anything to do with privacy. There is no more a right to be anonymous on a bulletin board than there is a right to make anonymous telephone calls or a right to knock on people's doors and run away. In all these cases you can preserve your "privacy" if you are clever enough in how you do it but that does not equate to it being a right either legally or morally.

The exception would be if a bulletin board has specifically promised to preserve anonymity which is not the case for this one as far as I know. Even here there would be extreme instances, such as a police investigation, where such undertakings might not be honoured.

In practice most (though not all) boards and forums don't mind if people are anonymous but if posters abuse this privilege, for instance by engaging in unfounded personal attacks on other posters or persistently ignoring forum rules, then I would consider it perfectly reasonable for moderators or others to out them so that they can be held responsible for their behaviour.

As a general principle I suggest that if you absolutely positively do not want anyone to know what you have said on a bulletin board then don't say it, because future circumstances or technology may link it back to you. Or just use your real name so you won't be tempted.

Rincewind
10-12-2008, 08:10 AM
I don't see where this discussion has anything to do with privacy. There is no more a right to be anonymous on a bulletin board than there is a right to make anonymous telephone calls or a right to knock on people's doors and run away. In all these cases you can preserve your "privacy" if you are clever enough in how you do it but that does not equate to it being a right either legally or morally.

The exception would be if a bulletin board has specifically promised to preserve anonymity which is not the case for this one as far as I know. Even here there would be extreme instances, such as a police investigation, where such undertakings might not be honoured.

In practice most (though not all) boards and forums don't mind if people are anonymous but if posters abuse this privilege, for instance by engaging in unfounded personal attacks on other posters or persistently ignoring forum rules, then I would consider it perfectly reasonable for moderators or others to out them so that they can be held responsible for their behaviour.

As a general principle I suggest that if you absolutely positively do not want anyone to know what you have said on a bulletin board then don't say it, because future circumstances or technology may link it back to you. Or just use your real name so you won't be tempted.

:clap:

If we were to have prizes for best BB posts. This would definitely be in my list of top 5 for the year. It cuts through the crap and gets to the heart of the issue.

MichaelBaron
10-12-2008, 09:30 AM
While privacy should be respected, i feel that anonimous posts should not be tolerated. People should take full responsibility for what they have to say!

Miranda
10-12-2008, 10:29 AM
While privacy should be respected, i feel that anonimous posts should not be tolerated. People should take full responsibility for what they have to say!

Have you noticed that the posters on this BB who use their real name are much more civilised, polite, and valued members of this community as opposed to those who insist on lurking in the shadows, making rude comments, and attemping to hide their identity?

PPWPFL
10-12-2008, 01:20 PM

Have you noticed that the posters on this BB who use their real name are much more civilised, polite, and valued members of this community as opposed to those who insist on lurking in the shadows, making rude comments, and attemping to hide their identity?

Miranda when did i ever try to hide my identity? [identifying information removed years later at poster's request - mod]

Have a nice day miranda :)

Thanks, Jaydon

Trent Parker
10-12-2008, 01:59 PM
can someone remind me of the reason for this thread?

eclectic
10-12-2008, 02:00 PM
why not simply read post 1 ? ;)

Desmond
10-12-2008, 03:43 PM
Miranda when did i ever try to hide my identity? [identifying information removed years later at poster's request - mod]

Thanks, JaydonJaydon, it sounds to me like you are ready to put this behind you. I think you will find that there are many people here you would get along with, including several other teenagers who have joined here recently. If you treat peple here civilly, I am sure they will respond in kind and get to know you over time. If not, well... it is your choice.

ER
10-12-2008, 03:46 PM

Thanks, Jaydon

Hi Jaydon (ops I hope using your real name is ok by now) I actually belong to the ones who like you and I wish you all the best in your future academic, professional and of course Chess related career! :)

PS
I have to admit that at the beginning I had a slight suspicion that the whole situation with this thread was somewhat orchestrated.
One of the people whom you might consider as not belonging to the ones who like you, convinced me for the opposite!
Cheers and good luck!

Watto
10-12-2008, 04:05 PM

And those who do use their real name could be accused of being a little bit smug about it! ;)

Cheers,
Watto.

eclectic
10-12-2008, 04:09 PM
And those who do use their real name could be accused of being a little bit smug about it! ;)

Cheers,
Watto.

yeah ggrayggray rubs his smugness in by using his real name twice over! ;) ;)

Miranda
10-12-2008, 04:41 PM

Thanks, Jaydon
Never said you were trying to :)

But seriously, just get over this petty little CC/Toolbox thing. I for one would welcome you here if you just stopped trolling about how someone found out your name.

Have a nice day.

Sinister
10-12-2008, 07:52 PM
PP will CRAWL back to the TOOLBOX and complain about us CC MEMBERS and AO will deny ever leaking PP's name to gain/regain PP's trust and PP will further more HATE CC AND its MEMBERS

PPWPFL
10-12-2008, 08:02 PM
PP will CRAWL back to the TOOLBOX and complain about us CC MEMBERS and AO will deny ever leaking PP's name to gain/regain PP's trust and PP will further more HATE CC AND its MEMBERS

You are quite the fortune teller. You can look for yourself to see if I'm complaining about CC. I most certainly do not hate CC and its members Nexus. AO never lost my trust and it is hardly crawling back to *******.. Please think before you post :)

Also thankyou to the members who have posted nicely in this thread. It is most appreciated.

And yeh it's ok to call me Jaydon now lol :)

Sinister
10-12-2008, 08:21 PM
lollollollollol
the lol crap is getting under my skin.
so you trust AO because he leaked personal info?
I am a fortune teller as it's either I don't like you or you don't like me, Either way I'm right.
think before you try to post the real toolbox name on cc.
and JAYDON I am quite sure you will CRAWL back to the toolbox and complain about cc and its members

Space_Dude
10-12-2008, 08:26 PM
and JAYDON I am quite sure you will CRAWL back to the toolbox and complain about cc and its members
quite sure, sometime isnt just good enough...

Sinister
10-12-2008, 08:29 PM
quite sure, sometime isnt just good enough...
100% sure

Space_Dude
10-12-2008, 08:31 PM
100% sure
Looks like we're going to have to wait and see...

PPWPFL
10-12-2008, 08:32 PM
lollollollollol
the lol crap is getting under my skin.
so you trust AO because he leaked personal info?
I am a fortune teller as it's either I don't like you or you don't like me, Either way I'm right.
think before you try to post the real toolbox name on cc.

The lol crap is getting under your skin? Please count all the lol's I have posted prior to this post, (you can count right?) Also the lol was not directed towards yourself i was referring to justaknight when he asked if it was ok to use my name.

There is no need for the caps on my name either. Nexus i will not be crawling back to ******* and complaining because I have more maturity then you seem to be giving me credit for, or have the brain power to grasp.

I was aware that it would star out ******* thanks for the advice anyway.

i would like others to know i do have the ability to be civil but when idiots are coming out and posting crap like the above my patience is tested.

Kevin Bonham
10-12-2008, 09:46 PM
Can someone please tell me what policy if any is in place here to respect the pirvacy[sic] of members?

Well, there's this one:

* Private communications of any sort, including but not limited to PMs, emails and letters, may not be posted or quoted publicly (including elsewhere in the case of PMs or emails from this site) without the written consent of the author(s) of all material being quoted. A communication is private if its author has, or may reasonably have, an expectation of confidentiality. Exceptions include tournament announcements, newsletters and some other materials with a wide circulation that are clearly not in confidence. Internal proceedings of chess organisations and businesses are in confidence unless stated otherwise no matter how many recipients there are.

The onus is strongly on the poster of a communication to ensure that its posting is permitted prior to doing so, if necessary by asking a moderator.

That is the only aspect of respect for privacy that we have yet seen a need to formalise, but even that is in contrast to the Toolbox which seems to have little if any formalised policy on anything, let alone privacy, unless you count firegoat's sabre-rattling-on-the-run about the circumstances he will ban me under.

antichrist
11-12-2008, 05:41 PM
yeah ggrayggray rubs his smugness in by using his real name twice over! ;) ;)

And I remember Noidea accusing ggraygray of being a very very little boy - I am still not sure what she meant by it?? I hope it was nothing to do with "I will show you mine if you show me yours". Like I will tell you my name if you tell me yours