PDA

View Full Version : Notable Aussies that got away

Basil
29-11-2008, 03:26 AM
The Browne system, named after Walter Shaun Browne, an Aussie who moved to US around 1970 and became a GM...
As extracted from Stephen Solomon's analysis of his Dresden game with Ozanne (http://www.chesschat.org/showpost.php?p=219552&postcount=723).

Any others (notable Aussies who got away)?

Solo
29-11-2008, 03:44 AM
Rolf Harris::whistle:

Rincewind
29-11-2008, 10:58 AM
Browne was an Aussie but birth but also an American. He was born here and moved to America when he was 3 and I believe the majority of his childhood was spent in America.

I'm not sure what is meant by "Notable Aussies that got away". Are we supposed to be patrolling our borders for 3-year-olds who might get away?

He did play some representative chess for Australia but that was more a matter of convenience and when he got the chance he represented America in preference.

Rolf Harris has more claim to being an Aussie as he was raised here and he was a state champion swimmer in his youth. Not sure how good his chess is. :hmm:

Kevin Bonham
29-11-2008, 11:18 AM
Any others (notable Aussies who got away)?

Greg Hjorth springs to mind (IM in his very early 20s before moving to the States, mathematician). However it seems he's now back in the country, at least some of the time.

Denis_Jessop
29-11-2008, 11:20 AM
Browne was an Aussie but birth but also an American. He was born here and moved to America when he was 3 and I believe the majority of his childhood was spent in America.

I'm not sure what is meant by "Notable Aussies that got away". Are we supposed to be patrolling our borders for 3-year-olds who might get away?

He did play some representative chess for Australia but that was more a matter of convenience and when he got the chance he represented America in preference.

Rolf Harris has more claim to being an Aussie as he was raised here and he was a state champion swimmer in his youth. Not sure how good his chess is. :hmm:

That's right re Browne. It was said that he came back to Australia for a bit so that he could play in our Olympiad team as he couldn't make the US team - or was it Board 1? - I can't remember. I think it was the latter as he played Board 1 for Australia in the 1972 Olympiad when he was ranked no 2 in the US behind Fischer. He won the Australian Championship in 1968-69 but didn't play in the next one. By the time he played for Australia in the 1972 Olympiad he was back in the US. There is an account of his Australian exploits in Cathy Chua's "Australian Chess at the Top" which accords with my memory of matters.

DJ

Rincewind
29-11-2008, 11:42 AM
Greg Hjorth springs to mind (IM in his very early 20s before moving to the States, mathematician). However it seems he's now back in the country, at least some of the time.

I think he plans to be in Melbourne this January but not much more over the next 6 months.

Adamski
29-11-2008, 12:26 PM
Browne was an Aussie but birth but also an American. He was born here and moved to America when he was 3 and I believe the majority of his childhood was spent in America.During my teens my dad interviewed Browne when he visited Dunedin to play a simul (which I played in - I lost). I still have the clipping from his newspaper the Otago Daily Times (which he later edited) which has the by-line "Swinging Image for Chess Master." He was long-haired, won most of his simul games, and gave chess some good publicity in NZ back then.

MichaelBaron
29-11-2008, 02:47 PM
I believe Hjorth is now at Melb Uni working as a professor of Maths

Capablanca-Fan
29-11-2008, 02:48 PM
Kiwi expats include Bob Wade, as well as Murray Chandler for about 25 years.

Both countries have far more impats than expats.

MichaelBaron
29-11-2008, 02:49 PM
What about notable auzzies that were born overseas? Many of the auzzie reps at the chess ollympiads were overseas-born.

Koshnitsky, Rubenraut, Davidovic, Berger are some names that come to mind.

eclectic
29-11-2008, 02:50 PM
at what point between michael baron's post and your post did australia formally annexe new zealand? :P

Rincewind
29-11-2008, 03:06 PM
at what point between michael baron's post and your post did australia formally annexe new zealand? :P

Last Wednesday. shhh, we haven't told them yet.

MichaelBaron
29-11-2008, 03:19 PM
Last Wednesday. shhh, we haven't told them yet.

Good for them ;)

pappubahry
29-11-2008, 05:09 PM

Australian Constitution, 1900 (http://www.aph.gov.au/SEnate/general/constitution/preamble.htm):

"The States" shall mean such of the colonies of New South Wales, New Zealand, Queensland, Tasmania, Victoria, Western Australia, and South Australia, including the northern territory of South Australia...

Igor_Goldenberg
29-11-2008, 05:48 PM
...including the northern territory of South Australia... :doh:

eclectic
29-11-2008, 05:50 PM
:doh:

that's what it was ... it was the northern territory of south australia

ER
29-11-2008, 06:22 PM
Double :doh: and what about ACT? :doh:

eclectic
29-11-2008, 06:41 PM
Double :doh: and what about ACT? :doh:

specially created around 1927 around canberra so that neither melbourne/victoria or sydney/nsw would have control over it

well essentially that's the jist of it

Rincewind
29-11-2008, 06:59 PM
specially created around 1927

Don't mention special creation.

eclectic
29-11-2008, 07:06 PM
Don't mention special creation.

sorry; i guess that would be jono's territory :hand:

Ian Murray
29-11-2008, 08:08 PM
that's what it was ... it was the northern territory of south australia
Which certainly includes New Zealand when looked at with your eyes almost closed

Denis_Jessop
29-11-2008, 09:33 PM
specially created around 1927 around canberra so that neither melbourne/victoria or sydney/nsw would have control over it

well essentially that's the jist of it

True. South Australia at that time governed the NT and South Australian Laws applied there. Maps showed South Australia and the NT as one, though separately named.

Canberra was chosen as the federal capital site in 1908, confirmed in 1909, after debate lasting for several years and proposals of many sites. It was formally named in 1913. There is a full and quite readable account of the whole process in Roger Pegrum's book "The Bush capital" Roger being a Canberra architect. In 1927 the Federal Parliament moved to Canberra from Melbourne where it had sat since Federation and the new, but temporary, Parliament House was opened by the Duke of York, later King George VI.

As for ACT players having been lost overseas, there are really none as most strong ACT players have come here in the past from inter-State and then gone away again, not necessarily overseas, for instance Haydn Barber. The strongest player to come here in the past was no doubt Richard Brent who, at the age of 18, finished equal 3 - 5 behind Cecil Purdy and Doug Hamilton (equal 1) in the Australian Championship in Hobart in 1964 - 65. Richard was at the ANU for some years but played only locally and then spent quite some time as a Professor at Oxford University. He has now returned to Canberra but plays competitive chess only occasionally. As with Greg Hjorth, his academic life had to take precedence over chess.

DJ

Igor_Goldenberg
29-11-2008, 09:38 PM
As for ACT players having been lost overseas, there are really none as most strong ACT players have come here in the past from inter-State and then gone away again, not necessarily overseas, for instance Haydn Barber. The strongest player to come here in the past was no doubt Richard Brent who, at the age of 18, finished equal 3 - 5 behind Cecil Purdy and Doug Hamilton (equal 1) in the Australian Championship in Hobart in 1964 - 65. Richard was at the ANU for some years but played only locally and then spent quite some time as a Professor at Oxford University. He has now returned to Canberra but plays competitive chess only occasionally. As with Greg Hjorth, his academic life had to take precedence over chess.

DJ

I thought the strongest player to come live in ACT is David Smerdon.

Igor_Goldenberg
29-11-2008, 09:45 PM
I just read in Chessbase that Bob Wade(87) died this morning.

Adamski
30-11-2008, 11:57 AM
Re the alleged behind the scenes and unannounced annexure of NZ by Aus referred to by some, I guess that would have occurred last weekend before the league final. So Aus can still claim they are world champions of league (not). I do recall from my NZ history at uni that one NZ PM in the early twentieth century suggested NZ become part of Aus. He did not stay PM long. It will never happen.

Denis_Jessop
30-11-2008, 12:06 PM
I thought the strongest player to come live in ACT is David Smerdon.

Without doubt, Igor, and Arianne isn't bad either; but I was speaking of the past, not the present.

DJ

Rincewind
30-11-2008, 12:09 PM
Re the alleged behind the scenes and unannounced annexure of NZ by Aus referred to by some, I guess that would have occurred last weekend before the league final. So Aus can still claim they are world champions of league (not). I do recall from my NZ history at uni that one NZ PM in the early twentieth century suggested NZ become part of Aus. He did not stay PM long. It will never happen.

It's amusing that before last Saturday you couldn't find a kiwi who gave two figs about the league. All of a sudden they're all mad keen fans.

I've never been much of a league supporter (which I think I've made obvious with my comments about the State of Origin circus) last Saturday league game wasn't a blip on the radar as I was still celebrating knocking off the black caps at the 'Gabba. :D

Adamski
30-11-2008, 01:12 PM
It's amusing that before last Saturday you couldn't find a kiwi who gave two figs about the league. All of a sudden they're all mad keen fans.

I've never been much of a league supporter (which I think I've made obvious with my comments about the State of Origin circus) last Saturday league game wasn't a blip on the radar as I was still celebrating knocking off the black caps at the 'Gabba. :DI'm not too disappointed that we are under the weather in the cricket series as I have just read:
(a) The All Blacks completed the grand slam again by beating England convincingly. (For those who don't follow rugby union, this means we beat Eng, Scot, Ire and Wales - and all without conceding a try. This has put NZ back at the top of the world rankings, despite the fact that we are not world champions like in league.)
(b) Also in rugby union, Wales upset Australia.

Adamski
30-11-2008, 01:32 PM
You could call me a generalist with my sport. I'll enjoy watching anything with a ball and anything with an NZ team playing. But the sport I have had the most personal involvement in is cricket, where for a number of years I was scorer for the University club in Dunedin, and before that my high school team. Other favorite sport to watch is soccer, as log as it's not nil - nil. Followed by the 2 variants of rugby. But I am no good in a playing sense at any sport with a ball. Indeed, my best participatory sport (sorry Cam, it is a sport) is chess. And as readers of this BB will know, I am pretty average at that (but with motivation to improve).

Igor_Goldenberg
30-11-2008, 01:35 PM
Without doubt, Igor, and Arianne isn't bad either; but I was speaking of the past, not the present.

DJ
Was anyone in the past stronger then Smerdon today?

Rincewind
30-11-2008, 02:53 PM
(b) Also in rugby union, Wales upset Australia.

In my humble opinion, the NZ propensity for vicarious sporting victories is also a flaw in their national psyche. ;)

antichrist
30-11-2008, 03:29 PM
Arianne Caoili was certainly a big fish that got away when she was refused sponcership.

Denis_Jessop
30-11-2008, 07:17 PM
Was anyone in the past stronger then Smerdon today?

Igor, I am not going to get involved in this kind of debate as it is quite unproductive. It is simply impossible to make such comparisons with these players. For example in 1964 there was no Australian rating system, the rules for FIDE titles were different and junior coaching was not anything like it is today. There were two young players in that event who, had they been playing today at the same age, may well (I think would) have proved to be very strong indeed - Doug Hamilton, who beat Purdy in the play-off for the title, and Richard Brent. Hamilton did achieve good results later but, had he been growing up today, I feel they would have been even better. There is no point in trying to argue about their merits compared with those of David Smerdon or any other present-day young player. Incidentally, though it is quite irrelevant, I was a member of the VCA committee when the Purdy-Hamilton play-off was held at the Victoria Hotel in Melbourne and I saw some of the games.

DJ

GrahamClayton
05-06-2014, 04:15 PM
Stefan Lazare is an excellent example. Lazare (original name Lazare Suchowolski) emigrated to Australia in June 1939, and won the Victorian Championship in 1942, 1944 and 1948. He was second to John Purdy in the 1954-55 Australian Championship at Perth, and was equal first with Karlis Ozols in the 1956-57 Australian Championship at Melbourne (Ortvin Sarapu finished 1st, but was ineligible for the title). The play-off between Ozols and Lazare was abandoned after six games due to Lazare emigrating to Israel. He never returned to Australia.

MichaelBaron
07-06-2014, 10:52 AM
Stefan Lazare is an excellent example. Lazare (original name Lazare Suchowolski) emigrated to Australia in June 1939, and won the Victorian Championship in 1942, 1944 and 1948. He was second to John Purdy in the 1954-55 Australian Championship at Perth, and was equal first with Karlis Ozols in the 1956-57 Australian Championship at Melbourne (Ortvin Sarapu finished 1st, but was ineligible for the title). The play-off between Ozols and Lazare was abandoned after six games due to Lazare emigrating to Israel. He never returned to Australia.

It is sad to think that Lazare and other Jewish players were playing against Ozols as they did not even suspect he was a Nazi before.

ER
30-01-2020, 07:56 AM
It is sad to think that Lazare and other Jewish players were playing against Ozols as they did not even suspect he was a Nazi before.

A nazi criminal if I may add!

Ian_Rogers
30-01-2020, 09:04 AM

What makes you think he didn't know?
Garry Koshnitsky told me that he and others had heard rumours about Ozols' role during WWII but that it wasn't a subject anybody wanted to raise.

MichaelBaron
31-01-2020, 07:22 PM
What makes you think he didn't know?
Garry Koshnitsky told me that he and others had heard rumours about Ozols' role during WWII but that it wasn't a subject anybody wanted to raise.

This is very sad to know. Not sure how strongly one should respond to unconfirmed rumours but I can also recall Ozols playing in Australian Seniors Championship in Melbourne in the 1990s. At the time, the case against him was already in court and was well known. When I saw him at the champiomships ... I did not know what to do (certainly i would never play with him) ...the initial desire was to attack him physically....but given his age...this was not something I could bring myself to doing...

Not sure if it was true or not, but apparently after he died, some players even suggested organising Ozols Memorial at MCC...however this is to be confirmed.

antichrist
31-01-2020, 07:31 PM
This is very sad to know. Not sure how strongly one should respond to unconfirmed rumours but I can also recall Ozols playing in Australian Seniors Championship in Melbourne in the 1990s. At the time, the case against him was already in court and was well known. When I saw him at the champiomships ... I did not know what to do (certainly i would never play with him) ...the initial desire was to attack him physically....but given his age...this was not something I could bring myself to doing...

Not sure if it was true or not, but apparently after he died, some players even suggested organising Ozols Memorial at MCC...however this is to be confirmed.

Was Mossad out of the kidnapping business by then. A friend of mine was very cruelly treated by her father. I suggested that she empty a bucket of terrible stuff over him in hospital. She refused.

But then later after his death greatly regret that she hadn't.

I can still remember (hopefully correctly) young Aaron, Laurie's son announcing on Am or Pm the allegations against Ozols. I know young Aaron in politics.