PDA

View Full Version : Any of the Chess Clubs are interested in Holding Lecture Series?

MichaelBaron
21-11-2008, 10:31 PM
In the last 6 Years, I have delivered lectures for more than 20 different uni subjects (well subjects are all the same..just subject names are different) and over 20 guest lectures on all kinds of boring IT and Business topics. Would be so much more fun to give chess lectures.

If any of the Melbourne-based chess clubs are interested - please do not hesitate to contact me :)

Dougy
04-12-2008, 10:28 AM
Croydon are putting on some more "chess workshops" next year. Last year we had a series of workshops with quite a few presenters, including Guy West and N.Y. Wong. I'd be interested in hearing from you and see if we could arrange something.

MichaelBaron
04-12-2008, 06:25 PM
Thats really good..Croydon appears to be developing at a very fast pace

Davidflude
05-12-2008, 10:16 AM
Croydon are putting on some more "chess workshops" next year. Last year we had a series of workshops with quite a few presenters, including Guy West and N.Y. Wong. I'd be interested in hearing from you and see if we could arrange something.

They are great people running a great chess club. We need lots of strong clubs. I am too busy with other things to get there often. Furthermore the tollway has stupid charges which discourages me. Maybe I will have to get an ETAG which would make it easy to get to Croyden and Dandenong.
There are lots of talented youngsters out there who learn the basics from the various coaches and need to be attracted to clubs.

Suggestions.

- Flyers in local libraries

- letters to schools

- open days

Dougy
05-12-2008, 11:39 AM
They are great people running a great chess club. We need lots of strong clubs. I am too busy with other things to get there often. Furthermore the tollway has stupid charges which discourages me. Maybe I will have to get an ETAG which would make it easy to get to Croyden and Dandenong.
There are lots of talented youngsters out there who learn the basics from the various coaches and need to be attracted to clubs.

Suggestions.

- letters to schools

- open days

It's nice to be appreciated. (: These are good suggestions. We already do the third in the form of "new members nights." We're almost certainly going to be moving venue at the end of the year so we're wanting to create a bit of a stir to get people to the new venue: Croydon RSL.

We've also got two new weekenders coming up in 2009. Hopefully you can pop in for those. Maroondah Highway will get you there toll-free.

Capablanca-Fan
31-12-2008, 12:33 AM

Suggestions.

- letters to schools

- open days
You could probably give interesting lectures on some of the specialized openings you play, or how to deal with unusual gambits without getting flustered, since many players go to pieces against them.