PDA

View Full Version : Fritz trainer opening's/tactics trainer

Saragossa
06-11-2008, 09:57 PM
I just recieved in the mail two programs one was fritz opening trainer Alekhine's defence by IM Andrew Martin the other is intensive course tactics two by George Renko.
I figured giving a brief review on each would be helpful hopefully to someone out there.

Alekhine's defence is so far great if you have experience with the opening however if you are lacking basic knowledge then you are left somewhat on your own.

But besides little questions like this Andrew martin does an extremely good job of covering many ideas that black has. Another aspect I find extremely good is that not only the variations are presented but also alot of common concepts in the opening is covered,thus not only a solid repertoire but also a sound knowledge of the defence's themes/principles/strategy's. I am there for giving it 3.5 stars from five a good cd for the more dedicated Alekhines advocate but also if you are willing to learn it is achievable through reexamination.
P.S I also reccomend without a basic grasp of the ideas in the opening it should be accompanied with Starting out: The alekhine's defence.

black
07-11-2008, 01:43 AM
1.e4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5

You ask about:
3.e5 Nfd7 4.Nxd5 winning a pawn.

What do you think of black continuing:
4...Nxe5

This solves black's "problem" of white being able to maintain a pawn advantage with d4 or f4, as you suggested, by simply removing the pawn immediately. The resulting position seems quite equal and probably not white's best choice.

shelldrake
07-11-2008, 09:14 AM
intensive course tactics two by George Renko.

Review?

Saragossa
07-11-2008, 02:18 PM
Haha sorry i completely overlooked that ill have to edit that. :oops:

Saragossa
07-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Review?
I intended to do that tonight.

Saragossa
07-11-2008, 10:57 PM
Intensive course tactics 2 is great training for it's shear bulk in material although the levelling is weird as i have answered many of the master level problems which i shearly do not believe I am up to.
Unfortunately also it concentrates purily on forced combinations meaning in many of the exercises the first move is obvious even if you do not understand the complete combination.

Besides that it is user friendly having timed and untimed modes with different themes to go with it. All in all I think it is a good buy if you want to get tactical ideas through repetition and not an actual understanding of tactical positions weakness's etc.

shelldrake
10-11-2008, 12:31 PM
Thanks. Sounds similar to a few websites you can get for free, i.e. chesstactics and chesstempo.