PDA

View Full Version : Kaikoura International, NZ (incl 2008 South Is Ch'p)

Tony Dowden
13-10-2008, 10:27 AM
This event in NZ featuring GM Murray Chandler, GM Darryl Johansen and IM Stephen Solomon (among others) finished yesterday.

Does anyone know what happened?

Capablanca-Fan
13-10-2008, 12:40 PM
This event in NZ featuring GM Murray Chandler, GM Darryl Johansen and IM Stephen Solomon (among others) finished yesterday.

I didn't even realize that Kaikoura had ever hosted so much as a provincial schoolpupils before.

fiddling
13-10-2008, 12:52 PM

Chandler,Johansen, and Solomon finished = 1st with 7/9:)

Davidflude
13-10-2008, 12:56 PM
I didn't even realize that Kaikoura had ever hosted so much as a provincial schoolpupils before.

Do no underrate Kaikoura. It has whale watching, a nearby skifield and clearly appeals to coast huggers.

Capablanca-Fan
13-10-2008, 01:31 PM
Do no underrate Kaikoura. It has whale watching, a nearby skifield and clearly appeals to coast huggers.
I don't underestimate Kaikoura, for all the above reasons; I just wasn't aware of any chess activity there.

Capablanca-Fan
13-10-2008, 01:32 PM
Chandler,Johansen, and Solomon finished = 1st with 7/9:)
Who were their opponents? Did they draw among themselves and shoot most of the (relative) rabbits?

fiddling
13-10-2008, 02:39 PM
Solo is arriving home this arvo and he'll talk about the "rabbits" then.

flukey
13-10-2008, 03:50 PM
This also doubled as the South Island Champs (like the Nelson tourney last year). It means the George Trundle invitees get another NZ tourney opportunity with a couple of days rest in between. Other strong players apart from the winners included A Toth, R Nokes, R Smith and a few 2000-2100 players.

Apparentely Johansen was half a point clear going into the last round but got black v Toth, the other two got much lower opponents.

I would have liked to play but unfortunately some urgent worked piled up while I was escaping the real world at the George Trundle.

Tony Dowden
13-10-2008, 08:47 PM
The crosstable of the event is now available on the 'NZ Chess' site hosted by GM Murray Chandler and WFM Helen Milligan - so I've answered my own question :)

Darryl beat Solo in the only decisive game among the three top seeds.

FM Roger Nokes and Christchurch resident took out the South Island title for 2008.

Here's the link: http://newzealandchess.co.nz/

Capablanca-Fan
13-10-2008, 11:08 PM
Darryl beat Solo in the only decisive game among the three top seeds.
If Darryl can maintain this form, he should be a powerhouse on board 4 in Dresden.

FM Roger Nokes and Christchurch resident took out the South Island title for 2008.
He deserved that, beating Johanson in R5 (http://newzealandchess.co.nz/results.html), and facing all the other big guns.

Solo
27-10-2008, 02:24 PM
This is my first visit for 2 weeks, and first post on this new laptop I just bought. I'd like to thank all the organizers, especially Chris Benson who did a mountain of work and looked after the GMs and IMs and some others. Also the arbiter Craig, and the organizer in Kaikoura, Kevin.

It was probably the most beautiful place I have ever played a chess tournament. The venue in the wine cellar was most remarkable.

Watto
27-10-2008, 02:45 PM
It was probably the most beautiful place I have ever played a chess tournament. The venue in the wine cellar was most remarkable.
High praise indeed. Is it likely to be on next year at the same venue?

Solo
27-10-2008, 02:59 PM
The South Island Ch is held in a different place every year. Last year it was in Nelson, which was also great. I don't know yet where it will be next year.

Watto
27-10-2008, 03:00 PM
The South Island Ch is held in a different place every year. Last year it was in Nelson, which was also great. I don't know yet where it will be next year.
Thanks Solo.

Solo
27-10-2008, 03:29 PM
We arrived the day before the tournament started and the first day there was just one round at 1PM. I woke up fairly early and went for a jog along the beach towards the seal colony, and intending to do the full 14km walking track including some hills. I went up the hill to the lookout, but after going about 200m along the track I saw some sheep and cattle. I wasn't sure if they were over the track, but was scared :doh: being alone and went back the same way. I decided to buy a digital camera after that because the views were excellent; the first time I have bought a camera! I took over 100 photos, but didn't have time to go that way again with 2 rounds per day.

Miranda
27-10-2008, 03:30 PM
rofl! you were scared of some sheep and cows?

Solo
27-10-2008, 03:37 PM
Some bulls tried to attack my wife and I once; luckily they were well fenced in where we were walking along the road. I was very glad there are no snakes in NZ though!:)

Miranda
27-10-2008, 03:39 PM
haha I guess that is a bonus... i was riding my horse the other day and a snake slitered across right in front of the jump I was about to jump.. *shudder*

Adamski
27-10-2008, 04:56 PM
The Craig who was the arbiter in Kaikoura was probably Craig Hall, a very hard worker for chess from the Canterbury Chess Club. (Flukey or Solo should be able to confirm this.) He was just moving into arbiting etc when I left the CCC (where I also served on the committee) and crossed the Tas to Sydney. Chris Benson was (and clearly still is, though for some time he was based in Invercargill) also a hard worker at the CCC.

BTW I agree Kaikoura is a great spot - almost as good as my home city of Dunedin!

Adamski
27-10-2008, 05:06 PM
Tony D's results link confirms Craig Hall was the arbiter.

Chris B, nice pic of you on the NZ chess web site!

Cheers,

Adamski
24-11-2008, 10:12 PM
If Darryl can maintain this form, he should be a powerhouse on board 4 in Dresden.

He deserved that, beating Johanson in R5 (http://newzealandchess.co.nz/results.html), and facing all the other big guns.Good prediction on DJ, Jono! And Nokes has done very well at Dresden too. So good call TonyD too:clap: (Jono has joint citizenship so for this post anyway I'll claim him as a Kiwi!)