PDA

View Full Version : Your call

bruce
26-06-2004, 03:36 PM
MPs. Both vul.

You hold Q9876, T832, 32, 86.

You deal and pass, and partner opens the bidding with 2NT (20-21).

What's your plan ? Assume you play puppet 3C.

Bruce
Fairfield

Rincewind
26-06-2004, 03:54 PM
What's a puppet 3C?

Looks to me you want to be in with 2NT or (possibly) 4S. The S holding while lacking in honours is pretty solid in the middling cards so perhaps if a risk was necessary and 4S would be interpreted as a shut out then 4S.

Ideally you would want the opener to open S so I guess if this puppet 3C gave you a chance of doing that then that would be worth a tickle if you decided that 2NT was not enough.

NB I've only played rubber bridge and socially so please forgive my ignorance with puppet 3C and MP tactics.

bruce
26-06-2004, 05:57 PM
What's a puppet 3C?

Looks to me you want to be in with 2NT or (possibly) 4S. The S holding while lacking in honours is pretty solid in the middling cards so perhaps if a risk was necessary and 4S would be interpreted as a shut out then 4S.

Ideally you would want the opener to open S so I guess if this puppet 3C gave you a chance of doing that then that would be worth a tickle if you decided that 2NT was not enough.

NB I've only played rubber bridge and socially so please forgive my ignorance with puppet 3C and MP tactics.
er, Baz... not sure if I understand what you mean about the opener to open S if I think you mean bid spades first - that's not the intention of 3C puppet. 3C Puppet Stayman is used to find 4-4 and 5-3 fits after a strong 2NT opening and rebid. :rolleyes:

The reference to MP is valid because seeking the game bonus is not as attractive as in IMPs.

So the point of this thread is : do you bid 3C and what is your plan if opener rebids 3NT (denying a 4- or 5-card major?

bruce

Rincewind
26-06-2004, 07:29 PM
Yeah, I mean to get the player who bid 2NT to bid Spades first, obviously it would desirable to make the 20-21 point player declarer.

If game bonuses aren't a big deal why not just pass? You would seem to be holding slightly under minimum hand for a rebid anyway. 3S might be slightly better provided your partner is not 2-3-4-4. If after 2C you get 3NT and then decide to go 4S, the above distribution could be quite expensive.

With Stayman, isn't the idea to bid one suit below your suit? So if you partner has 4 Hearts he bids 3D and bids 3H indicating 4 Spades. The denial of a 4 card major is 3S. Afterwhich you could pass provided you could withstand your partner's withering looks across the table. ;) But perhaps the 3C puppet bids work slightly differently as the stronger player is responding so the trick to get the stronger hand declarer is not required.

This is all facinating as I haven't player now for some years. Sorry to take your thread off topic slightly. To get back to the question at hand...

What's wrong with Pass?

bruce
26-06-2004, 07:46 PM
With Stayman, isn't the idea to bid one suit below your suit?
wow Bazza, sounds like you've been inhaling too many glue fumes in your woodworking classes.

Bruce
Fairfield

PS
FWIW, can any other posters at least stick to the thread topic?
ta in advance.

Rincewind
26-06-2004, 08:34 PM
wow Bazza, sounds like you've been inhaling too many glue fumes in your woodworking classes.

Yeah, like I said it has been a while and I used to play with some guys who would never use a natural bid where an artificial bid would do, so perhaps the 2D to show hearts, etc was a modified Stayman with transfers. So if the response after 3C is natural then you use 3D to deny a 4 card major, don't you?

bruce
26-06-2004, 08:52 PM
So if the response after 3C is natural then you use 3D to deny a 4 card major, don't you?
The Defense rests.

Sniff.

Bruce
Fairfield.

Rincewind
26-06-2004, 09:01 PM
The Defense rests.

Perhaps I should stick to simpler questions. I still think I'd Pass. :lol: