PDA

View Full Version : Chesschat member birthday!

Rincewind
25-06-2004, 01:05 PM
I was looking about the FIDE website and on the Ratings front page they have a list of the FIDE players who are having their birthday today (it's still on 24/6 at the moment). For some reason I was distracted enough to glance down the list at the names in red (who are the GM's I think) and who should be on there but chesschat member, Ian Rogers. ;)

Also sharing Ian's birthday yesterday were GMs Boris Gelfand of Israel and Harry Schussler of Sweden.

Rincewind
25-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Also sharing Ian's birthday yesterday were GMs Boris Gelfand of Israel and Harry Schussler of Sweden.

A closer look and search of the string "AUS" also uncovered fellow Aussie Tristan Boyd!

Alan Shore
25-06-2004, 06:10 PM
It was my birthday a few days ago, on the 19th.. I have the same birthday as Garfield!

Trizza
25-06-2004, 06:21 PM
A closer look and search of the string "AUS" also uncovered fellow Aussie Tristan Boyd!
I was completely unaware Ian and I shared the same birthday until a brief chat I had with him several years ago.

I bought a chess calendar produced by chesscafe.com from Gary Lane earlier this year. Among other things, it contains birthdays of famous chess players. The ones for June 24 are Ian, Gelfand, Schussler and Murray. Never heard of Murray though (it says he was born in 1868).

Interestingly, Morphy's birthday was on June 23 and Kramnik's is on June 25. Also, I think Zong-Yuan Zhao's birthday is June 26. Quite a strong group I must say (after I'm taken out of it of course).

Garvinator
25-06-2004, 06:23 PM
I was completely unaware Ian and I shared the same birthday until a brief chat I had with him several years ago.

I bought a chess calendar produced by chesscafe.com from Gary Lane earlier this year. Among other things, it contains birthdays of famous chess players. The ones for June 24 are Ian, Gelfand, Schussler and Murray. Never heard of Murray though (it says he was born in 1868).

Interestingly, Morphy's birthday was on June 23 and Kramnik's is on June 25. Also, I think Zong-Yuan Zhao's birthday is June 26. Quite a strong group I must say (after I'm taken out of it of course).
hello trizza and welcome to our bb, hope you have heaps of fun and learn new things about australian chess like i think we all have here. Feel free to tell us who you are and what you like and we will respond with the same for those that you dont know already :)

arosar
25-06-2004, 06:25 PM
. . .Never heard of Murray though (it says he was born in 1868).

HJR Murray? You don't know him? He authored one of the most important books on chess!

EDIT: Btw, they've released reprints of that book. Buy it just for the sake of having it. Peter Parr Superstar still has a few.

AR

Trizza
25-06-2004, 06:40 PM
Yep, it was HJR Murray. I must plead ignorance - my chess book collection is pretty pitiful.

Guess joining the bb has increased my chess knowledge already!

Rincewind
25-06-2004, 07:58 PM
Yep, it was HJR Murray. I must plead ignorance - my chess book collection is pretty pitiful.

Guess joining the bb has increased my chess knowledge already!

:)

Welcome aboard and happy b'day!

skip to my lou
25-11-2004, 11:13 PM
Happy birthday to Gandalf! Good luck with forensics ;)

Rincewind
26-11-2004, 06:16 AM
Happy birthday to Gandalf! Good luck with forensics ;)

Not sure how often you still drop by, but have a good one!

Kevin Bonham
20-02-2009, 12:58 AM
Ancient thread but for the sake of somewhere to put a random comment about false birthdays it will do as well as any.

In the shoutbox tonight I was briefly sucked in by Gunner claiming it to be his birthday when it wasn't. This reminded me of a few other unbirthday incidents involving chessplayers:

* One player found it annoying that people who he told his birthday to would then start talking about astrological nonsense and trying to relate it to his personality. So he told them a completely false birthday and accepted their birthday wishes and presents on that day for several years without letting on that it was not really his birthday.

* In the early 90s after uni I would go to Pizza Hut with a bunch of friends (all of them connected with chess, some more actively than others) on Monday nights before some of us headed down to the Sandy Bay Chess Club (precursor of HICC). This was before I was a good enough player to actually care what I ate prior to playing. In those days Pizza Hut had "all you can eat for $5" and the aim of the evenings was to cause Pizza Hut a financial loss.

If someone went to the toilets, some of the others would sometimes inform the person serving that it was that person's birthday (although it actually wasn't). Upon their return they would be greeted with a cake and candle and everyone else noisily singing "happy birthday to you!" This fate was known as "being birthdayed" and was extremely embarrassing for the victim.

Desmond
20-02-2009, 08:38 AM
HB Gunner! Must be about 500 with all these birthdays?

antichrist
20-02-2009, 07:19 PM
if you don't realise it is your birthday do you get older, just like if no one hears a tree fall there is no sound?