PDA

View Full Version : Time Travelling is it possible?

Space_Dude
29-09-2008, 04:25 PM
I have created this thread to discuss thde idea of time traveling and how it would work or why it eon't work. I personally believe that it is possible to time travel but it would be better for all of us if we didn't see the future or go back to the past and alter it. and is very easy to create the grandfather paradox.

Please post your oppinion and discuss about 'Time'

Desmond
29-09-2008, 04:44 PM
I personally think that time travel is impossible. I do not think that matter can be seperated from the space/time that it inhabits.

Space_Dude
29-09-2008, 04:47 PM
I personally think that time travel is impossible. I do not think that matter can be seperated from the space/time that it inhabits.

that may not be possible but we can slow time!!! If we can slow time around us we may take 5 seconds to travel 1 or 2 seconds in to the future, this is very likely possible as all you need to accomplish this is to be traveling at a very fast rate, or be under a tremendous gravity e.g. black hole
I rather prefer the idea of the going fast one as i do not wish to be crushed to my death:hand:

Desmond
29-09-2008, 04:50 PM
that may not be possible but we can slow time!!! If we can slow time around us we may take 5 seconds to travel 1 or 2 seconds in to the future, this is very likely possible as all you need to accomplish this is to be traveling at a very fast rate, or be under a tremendous gravity e.g. black hole
I rather prefer the idea of the going fast one as i do not wish to be crushed to my death:hand:I could be wrong, but I would have thought that if you slowed time, then everything would be slowed, including your movement.

Amusingly, Futurama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell_That_Ends_Well) dealt with the lighter side of the Grandfather Paradox.

Space_Dude
29-09-2008, 04:59 PM
I could be wrong, but I would have thought that if you slowed time, then everything would be slowed, including your movement.

Amusingly, Futurama (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roswell_That_Ends_Well) dealt with the lighter side of the Grandfather Paradox.

Time is not the same every where! Stephen Hawkins and Many other Physicist figuared it out. If you are out in space you would seem to be getting older then you would be if you were in earth as there is no gravity to slow down timea sit would on earth. It is possible to slow down time around you but it will not slow any where else. they figured this out with a help of an atom clock and measured the exact time and relised that the ime was going Faster(!) than the clock on sea level. this proves that not all the time is time the same! It can be changed, it can be slowed it can be sped up depending on the situation.

eclectic
29-09-2008, 05:21 PM
think what havoc would be wreaked if we could go back in time and change the past; indeed we would never commit to anything were that the case

Space_Dude
29-09-2008, 05:24 PM
i just remembered that maybe it was destemed for us to go back in time to alter the past which makes us us meaning we had to alter the past to become us in the future.

Spiny Norman
29-09-2008, 05:24 PM
Time travel has already been demonstrated (in effect) by tests with synchronised atomic clocks ... one kept on earth, the other sent into orbit at high speed ... when the orbiting clock returned, it was out of sync.

Space_Dude
29-09-2008, 05:25 PM
Time travel has already been demonstrated (in effect) by tests with synchronised atomic clocks ... one kept on earth, the other sent into orbit at high speed ... when the orbiting clock returned, it was out of sync.
that is what i meant in my previous post. Thank you for confirming that.

Spiny Norman
29-09-2008, 05:30 PM
This must be happening to all of us all the time anyway, even when I just pop down to the shop for a packet of 20 Rothmans (a-la Python) ... its just that the changes are so microscopically small that we can just ignore them.

Space_Dude
29-09-2008, 05:34 PM
This must be happening to all of us all the time anyway, even when I just pop down to the shop for a packet of 20 Rothmans (a-la Python) ... its just that the changes are so microscopically small that we can just ignore them.
we time travel every time and we always gaze in to the past. Light travels at 300 000km per second not in an infinite speed. so it would take time fro all we observe from the view to our eyes when we gaze int to the sky and look at the stars we are practically looking at 8 to 10000years in to the past the stars we see could not even exist any more. it could havr been blown up a couple of centries ago

Rincewind
29-09-2008, 05:37 PM

This is my understanding too. It is a consequence of the special and general theories of relativity that if you travel quickly or experience a different gravitational field, there is a time dilation. Generally this is negligible.

Note that this just allows you to travel forwards in time. For example, you could theoretically have a space voyage which took a day for the spaceship inhabitants but took 1,000 years on earth. So the inhabitants would effectively be "thrown into the future". But there would be no going back. Note that this leads to no grandfather paradoxes.

I have heard conjecture about establishing a wormhole with two portals which are connected and then you take one portal on such a voyage. So after coming back 1,000 years into the future you could bail out by going back through your portal. Likewise people from the future could also use your portal to go to their past. This is pure speculation and I suspect such a setup may be technically impossible.

Space_Dude
29-09-2008, 05:47 PM
What i don't get is that if traveling in to the past will be possible in the near or distant future why there wasn't any time travellers in our time i mean this is tha perfect time to go time traveling because in the past 100 years i mean ther is the moon landing, the first satelite, the first aeroplane, turn of the millenium, ww1, ww2, discovery of the TV, Computers, robots etc there has to be at least 1 traveller who wishes to discover or learn more about history right? or is the government keeping this all a secret???? Damn the government TELL US THE TRUTH!!!!!

Garrett
29-09-2008, 06:03 PM
Damn the government TELL US THE TRUTH!!!!!

You're not Axiom's love child are you Tony K ??

Space_Dude
29-09-2008, 06:04 PM
You're not Axiom's love child are you Tony K ??
Maybe....:lol:

eclectic
29-09-2008, 06:05 PM
What i don't get is that if traveling in to the past will be possible in the near or distant future why there wasn't any time travellers in our time i mean this is tha perfect time to go time traveling because in the past 100 years i mean ther is the moon landing, the first satelite, the first aeroplane, turn of the millenium, ww1, ww2, discovery of the TV, Computers, robots etc there has to be at least 1 traveller who wishes to discover or learn more about history right? or is the government keeping this all a secret???? Damn the government TELL US THE TRUTH!!!!!

warning! warning! you are starting to sound too much like a presently banned member! :evil:

Space_Dude
29-09-2008, 06:06 PM
Oh no! What am I becoming? I got to be stopped!!!! Arghhhhhh!!!!!

CameronD
29-09-2008, 06:11 PM
warning! warning! you are starting to sound too much like a presently banned member! :evil:

Attention Bill...

Tony K is really a hydra for axiom, please investigate

Space_Dude
29-09-2008, 06:13 PM
Attention Bill...

Tony K is really a hydra for axiom, please investigate
That's funny! but seriously I have been a member of this site before Ax was banned!

Space_Dude
29-09-2008, 06:56 PM
and if you check the chat box history, you will find that ax and i chated! and IF i was his hydra, i would've been talking to myself!! besides he's probably a full grown man while i;m still a kid!!

Kevin Bonham
29-09-2008, 10:40 PM
and if you check the chat box history, you will find that ax and i chated! and IF i was his hydra, i would've been talking to myself!!

Strangely enough, quite a few people who have hydras like to talk to them (and often get caught doing so by forgetting which one they're logged in as!).

On the time travel subject, I am familiar with the relativistic time dilation concept that a few posters have mentioned (if you travel very fast then less time elapses for you compared to those not doing so).

I suspect time travel backwards is either physically impossible or else technologically far beyond any level the human race or any of its descendents will ever reach.

Spiny Norman
30-09-2008, 07:18 AM
I suspect time travel backwards is either physically impossible or else technologically far beyond any level the human race or any of its descendents will ever reach.
I agree. We are creatures of our own space/time combination (call if 4 dimensions, if you will). Only something/someone from an intersecting space/time existence would be able to manage this feat.

If one views one-dimensional and one-directional time much as a one-dimensional creature might view its existence on a line, a two-dimensional creature would be way beyond its ken ... and yet, logically possible. Similarly, a two-dimensional (living on a plane) creature would have trouble conceiving a three-dimensional being such as ourselves.

So I have no problem really suggesting that its logically possible, but not necessarily for 4-dimensional creatures such as ourselves.

Rincewind
30-09-2008, 09:10 AM
I agree. We are creatures of our own space/time combination (call if 4 dimensions, if you will). Only something/someone from an intersecting space/time existence would be able to manage this feat.

I believe the question is not whether we are 4-dimensional, but whether spacetime is 4-dimensional. There is ample evidence that gravity distorts space and time and therefore Euclidian geometry does not necessary hold for such regions. String theorists also postulate that there are many rolled up dimensions which we cannot easily observe at the macro scale. If true it may or may not help the problem of time travel but I would hesitate to state categorically that spacetime is definitely 4-dimensional.

MichaelBaron
07-10-2008, 12:56 PM
Another issue is: if we do succeed in travelling into the past (well in theory it is possible if we travel faster than the speed of time), how are we going to come back?:hmm:

Aaron Guthrie
07-10-2008, 04:46 PM
Another issue is: if we do succeed in travelling into the past (well in theory it is possible if we travel faster than the speed of time), how are we going to come back?:hmm:Wait around a bit.

Sinister
23-10-2008, 10:00 PM
it is not possible unless destiny exists or we travel to the possible future that might not take place

Space_Dude
23-10-2008, 10:59 PM
or it is possible that you dont travel 'in' time but travel in an alternitive universe that seems like the future, and the universe picks the most likely "future" to travel in to.TIME IS SO FUN ISNT IT??

TheJoker
24-10-2008, 03:02 PM
it is not possible unless destiny exists or we travel to the possible future that might not take place

Not if the so called "travel" is the result of some sort of time dilation.

Space_Dude
31-10-2008, 05:20 PM
Agreed Joker, If you can slow down time as in the twin paradox, it would seem like the future, but you have been gone for a certain amout of time you traveled in to, meaning that you did travel in time but it does not seem to be a time travel for the people out side the 'time machine'. So to conculusion that time travel might seem impossible, but we are only a few steps of technology behind to make science fiction to science fast

TheJoker
01-11-2008, 12:06 AM
Agreed Joker, If you can slow down time as in the twin paradox, it would seem like the future, but you have been gone for a certain amout of time you traveled in to, meaning that you did travel in time but it does not seem to be a time travel for the people out side the 'time machine'. So to conculusion that time travel might seem impossible, but we are only a few steps of technology behind to make science fiction to science fast

Time dilation only allows you travel in one direction in time forward, so you dont get the problems of altering the future or why time travellers from the future are not here right now. The big question is would you want to travel forward in time if you couldn't go back?

MichaelBaron
01-11-2008, 12:46 AM
Time dilation only allows you travel in one direction in time forward, so you dont get the problems of altering the future or why time travellers from the future are not here right now. The big question is would you want to travel forward in time if you couldn't go back?

Actually...I agree with The Joker, i do not believe it will ever be possible to go back in time. Travelling to future does not contradict the laws of Physics but travelling to the past does. However, I like Tony's suggesting of travelling to a parralel universe...it could very well be possible :hmm:

Space_Dude
01-11-2008, 11:44 AM
Actually...I agree with The Joker, i do not believe it will ever be possible to go back in time. Travelling to future does not contradict the laws of Physics but travelling to the past does. However, I like Tony's suggesting of travelling to a parralel universe...it could very well be possible :hmm:
There is the theory of an infinite amount of pararel universe, which means that all universe as at least a small difference in the history or the present. That theory is Awsome, which means that I could be a GM at the age of 13, and the richest person alive or i could be leading StarGateCommand!! I love pararel universes!!!!:owned: :owned:

hendreyth
01-11-2008, 12:20 PM

Which law's that? Kurt Godel gave solutions to Einstein's equations which gave world's where any point in space-time was accessible to any other following (along what are known as time-like curves). Our universe is almost certainly is not like that however. That does not mean that time travel contradicts the laws of physics though or that there aren't localised regions of space-time where travel into the local past is possible. Incidentally my understanding is that no-one has been able to rule out the existence of tachyons yet which would only travel backwards in time. But I most certainly don't claim any expertise in the physics here.

Space_Dude
01-11-2008, 04:55 PM
But I most certainly don't claim any expertise in the physics here.
nor do i, i am only 13, but very very interested in time,

hendreyth
02-11-2008, 12:25 AM
nor do i, i am only 13, but very very interested in time,

It is interesting. The physics on it these days is crazy these days. I get interested in it on and off, though more the metaphysics than the physics which alas I am no expert on either. There's some really interesting stuff on time here http://plato.stanford.edu/entries/time-travel-phys/ but unfortunately it can be a bit heavy going and I wouldn't normally recommend this to a 13 year old! this site: http://www.utm.edu/research/iep/t/time.htm#H13 tends to be a bit easier, but not as good as the other one! You sound pretty smart so I'm sure you'll get something from them if you read some of them.

CameronD
02-11-2008, 05:57 AM
Theres a common sense answer to this

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You people being listening to so much dribble, warped your minds, use some commonsense.

Space_Dude
02-11-2008, 10:02 AM

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You people being listening to so much dribble, warped your minds, use some commonsense.
R u saying that time travelling is impossible or just tavelling back in time is impossible??

WhiteElephant
02-11-2008, 10:23 AM

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I was recently watching some old Get Smart dvds and it's funny how many of the 'fantastic' technological gadgets intended as jokes have now become reality. For example - mobile phones (now mobile computers!) and the Invisibility cloak - now here through so called Optical Camouflage technology. I remember when I was a kid, adults telling me that this and that will never work. I wouldn't be surprised if most of the 'super powers' in the other thread are one day accessible through technology as well.

hendreyth
02-11-2008, 12:13 PM

NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What are you suggesting though? That time travel is logically impossible? Then you need to provide an argument, and also it would be nice to show why time travel stories appear coherent. Or are you suggesting that time travel is physically impossible? Then you need to show some physical law that contradicts time travel. Maybe you are suggesting that time travel is incompatible with our common sense view of the world - I think you are right but so what? Firstly there are many other things known to be true but arguably incompatible with our common sense views - the earth is in fact round, my computer exerts a gravitational force on me in whatever sense the earth does... Secondly whether time travel is possible is a rather different question from whether time travel actually occurs (and here I'll take time travel to mean travel backwards in time). We have pretty good evidence I think that time travel to our particular region of space time will always remain practically impossible at least to humans. Also any region of space-time in which time travel of everyday 'macro' objects does occur with any frequency would be a very strange region and one very different from the one we take ourselves to live in. If that's all you intended to say in your appeal to common sense I agree with you but I don't understand why that implies I have a warped mind.

Space_Dude
06-11-2008, 04:12 PM
Time Travelling is impossible but!!! Going to the future through Time dilation is Very very possible

Basil
07-11-2008, 01:37 PM
Is it possible to go back say 8 months - and hold? ;)

Desmond
07-11-2008, 01:41 PM
I'd settle for 8 hours. I was asleep then. ;)

Maybe if you run around the room really fast it will be Sunday and the wedding will have happened.

hendreyth
07-11-2008, 07:31 PM
Time Travelling is impossible but!!! Going to the future through Time dilation is Very very possible

Do you mean time travel is logically or physically or just practically impossible? Time travel to the future is also possible through sleeping :lol:

Space_Dude
10-11-2008, 03:33 PM
Do you mean time travel is logically or physically or just practically impossible? Time travel to the future is also possible through sleeping :lol:
Nay, that doesnt count cause u still age. but time traveling is going to a certain time with out taking the same time as it naturakky should be

Space_Dude
20-11-2008, 11:52 PM
we have seen many sci fi shows come true and people just imagined about going to the moon, some people said flying was impossible, and going to the moon was well over or physical limit. time travelling could well just be one of those things...

Rincewind
21-11-2008, 07:50 AM
we have seen many sci fi shows come true and people just imagined about going to the moon, some people said flying was impossible, and going to the moon was well over or physical limit. time travelling could well just be one of those things...

Possibly. But if travelling back in time is possible then it leads to grandfather paradoxes and the problem of why haven't we seen anyone come back to the present day from the future?

MichaelBaron
21-11-2008, 01:39 PM
why haven't we seen anyone come back to the present day from the future?

Why come back from a beautiful future into the mess we are living in at the moment? :D

Igor_Goldenberg
21-11-2008, 02:19 PM
Why come back from a beautiful future into the mess we are living in at the moment? :D
It reminds me of a joke:
A boy and a girl twins in their mothers' womb few days before birth. Boy:
- We spent nine good month together. Pity it's coming to the end.
- Why? There could be some life outside?
- No way. No one ever came back!

MichaelBaron
21-11-2008, 02:22 PM
It reminds me of a joke:
A boy and a girl twins in their mothers' womb few days before birth. Boy:
- We spent nine good month together. Pity it's coming to the end.
- Why? There could be some life outside?
- No way. No one ever came back!

:)

Space_Dude
21-11-2008, 03:27 PM
Possibly. But if travelling back in time is possible then it leads to grandfather paradoxes and the problem of why haven't we seen anyone come back to the present day from the future?
not talking about time travelling in to the past. im talking about goin to the future

Rincewind
21-11-2008, 03:51 PM
not talking about time travelling in to the past. im talking about goin to the future

Who said that wasn't possible? I go to the future every day.

Space_Dude
21-11-2008, 03:59 PM
Who said that wasn't possible? I go to the future every day.
As if...

Rincewind
21-11-2008, 04:16 PM
As if...

As if I don't. :P

WCL-Skwerly
22-11-2008, 04:24 AM
The argument that it is impossible always reminds me of the turn of the century folks who claimed that if a human being were to move at 55 MPH, we would dissentigrate.

Didn't take long for that axiom to vanish, eh? In the last 50 years alone, technology has advanced at such a rate as to be awe-inspiring. Imagine 100 years from now - the things we'll know!

I am currently writing a novel that has its basis in time travel, and while I am having a blast with it, certain parts are very hard to figure out because of logistics, and laws that I probably am not aware of.

Now, I don't want to be a problem starter here, but why couldn't Jesus be a time traveler? Simple technological gadgets could have created all the wacky stuff that happened, and two-thousand years ago, folks probably wouldn't be likely to argue with it. Holograms and advanced medicine alone could be responsible for most of it!

Anyhow, interesting thread, I'll be following it! :)

MichaelBaron
22-11-2008, 10:56 AM
Didn't take long for that axiom to vanish, eh? :)

Axiom will be back :)

Space_Dude
22-11-2008, 08:57 PM
I am currently writing a novel that has its basis in time travel, and while I am having a blast with it, certain parts are very hard to figure out because of logistics, and laws that I probably am not aware of.
Cool, When will it be published??

antichrist
14-04-2013, 09:06 PM
In tonites program about time, I wish they would have used the example from Back to the Future - the only scifi I ever liked,instead they used a martian on a bike