PDA

View Full Version : What Is The Sole Denominator Of Religion

flopreader
29-09-2008, 01:20 AM
Different religions claim different reasons why their religion is actually the right one. People from religion A believe that religion A is the right one and the best. And so do people from religion B and C etc. Can all religions be right? Because an insignificant % of people change from the religion they grew up in to another I sometimes wonder whether the sole denominator of one's religion is not one's parents. This thought has scary implications to the teachings of diverse religious leaders and the beliefs of many. Is it possible that we all believe in the same SUPREME ALMIGHTY?

Aaron Guthrie
29-09-2008, 01:43 AM
I presume you mean, as per Freud, The Father.

Spiny Norman
29-09-2008, 08:41 AM
Is it possible that we all believe in the same SUPREME ALMIGHTY?
It depends what people have in mind as the object of their faith. The idea that just because people believe in a god, then they might all believe in the same god, seems wrong.

Rincewind
29-09-2008, 09:28 AM
Is it possible that we all believe in the same SUPREME ALMIGHTY?

Many people don't believe in a supreme almighty so certainly not all. Of the theists it would appear the specifics of belief are so diverse that either there is a lot of noise in the message from the almighty to his creation or else the various almighties are essentially distinct. If they are essentially distinct and mutually exclusive (as many but not all are) then we are left with the option that many people are following a false religion.

antichrist
29-09-2008, 12:46 PM
The sole denominator of religious faith is their unfilled psychological needs, cutlural and family influences and as Einstein stated, childish superstition. The only interesting element in the whole debate is why do people need to believe in anything of a supernatural nature.

Spiny Norman
29-09-2008, 12:49 PM
Spare us your psychobabble AC ...

antichrist
29-09-2008, 01:01 PM
Spare us your psychobabble AC ...

Some people change religions like they change their underpants, it is only in the head. There is a tendency for men in their fifties and sixties, realising that their time is nearly up revolt about bulldust in their lives. They see religion as one of such and immediately and dramatically make a clean break from and become raving atheists. Even my mother become an atheist before dying, after a full and faithful life of religeous observation. She seen the bulldust for what it was.

eclectic
29-09-2008, 01:30 PM
the sole denominator of religion is having to stare into that void once death is upon us

flopreader
29-09-2008, 08:20 PM
Some people change religions like they change their underpants, it is only in the head. There is a tendency for men in their fifties and sixties, realising that their time is nearly up revolt about bulldust in their lives. They see religion as one of such and immediately and dramatically make a clean break from and become raving atheists.

I am not sure, but this sounds like over simplifying a subject that is very close to the hearts of many.

Capablanca-Fan
29-09-2008, 08:52 PM
There is a tendency for men in their fifties and sixties, realising that their time is nearly up revolt about bulldust in their lives. They see religion as one of such and immediately and dramatically make a clean break from and become raving atheists.
I've heard the opposite, but your ilk would then claim that getting old made them soft in the head, and that realizing death was imminent made them wishfully think about the afterlife. Of course, none of this has any bearing on the truth or falsity of theistic or atheistic claims.

Kevin Bonham
29-09-2008, 10:50 PM
Because an insignificant % of people change from the religion they grew up in to another I sometimes wonder whether the sole denominator of one's religion is not one's parents.

I'd be interested to see some stats on inter-generational mobility of religious belief.

The way some sects grow rapidly in membership (and not just by breeding like rabbits!) while others can decline quickly suggests to me that there is more mobility than the above statement indicates.

Also it is not uncommon for children to rebel against their parents' views, eg I've sometimes known atheists whose parents were strictly religious, or pentecostals whose parents were agnostic hippies.

And what about cases where the parents have differing religious views?

flopreader
29-09-2008, 11:57 PM
Will it be wrong of me to add some of these comments for the $50 (US) monthly prize on VIEW COMMENTS on www.iamnotadonkey.com ?
I think so. Rather not on a poker site

Spiny Norman
30-09-2008, 07:11 AM
And what about cases where the parents have differing religious views?
Lord help those marriages ... unless they're both people who practice (as well as preach) tolerance, I think they'd be in for a tough time.

Rincewind
30-09-2008, 09:06 AM
Lord help those marriages ... unless they're both people who practice (as well as preach) tolerance, I think they'd be in for a tough time.

My general observation is at most one is devout and the other is tolerant.

Of the mixed marriages (interdenominational christian) in my immediate family, the denomination of the wife was the on which determined which wedding was conducted under and also the denomination that the children were raised in. This is a sample size of 2 so hardly statistically significant.

Kevin Bonham
30-09-2008, 03:41 PM

Oh, certainly if even one is strictly doctrinaire and that doctrine is exclusive of the other's doctrine (or lack thereof), that could be a big problem. Having said that, people will not necessarily take their "beliefs" to their logical conclusion if a relationship is at stake.

But for example, say one parent is an atheist and the other is socially religious and at least a nominal believer but not devoutly denominational.

Capablanca-Fan
11-11-2008, 05:53 PM
See online video Can Historians Prove that Jesus Rose from the Dead? (http://www.4truth.net/site/c.hiKXLbPNLrF/b.4742567/)
A debate between and Mike Licona (affirmative) at Bart Ehrman (negative) Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary on 28 February 2008.

upldiscovered
02-05-2009, 06:09 PM
The sole root denominator(NIMROD-denomI(r)) of Religion is the Tower of Babyl. Babylon!

Kevin Bonham
02-05-2009, 06:16 PM
The sole root denominator(NIMROD-denomI(r)) of Religion is the Tower of Babyl. Babylon!

Hi upldiscovered,

I've noted that your early posts on this site are similar to posts you have posted elsewhere, consisting of linguistic comments about religious issues.

Do you play chess? Do you have any interest in the game?

antichrist
03-08-2011, 12:24 AM
http://www.jewishmediaresources.com/466/judaism-c

Judaism (c)

by Robert Lappin
Am Echad Resources
April 17, 2000

What a pity that the word Judaism has not been copyrighted. Had it been, the Reform movement, of which I am a long-time member and supporter, would never have been able to call itself Reform "Judaism".

My movement does not, after all, subscribe to the observance of kashrut; recognizes people as Jewish under a unilateral standard it calls "patrilineal-descent"; does not recognize others born of halachically Jewish mothers as Jewish; it allows its rabbis to officiate at mixed-faith marriages and now at same-sex ceremonies.

Judaism is based on Torah as the revealed word of God;..................... The fact cannot be avoided or refuted: my Reform movement simply espouses a different religion from that practiced by my Orthodox and Conservative fellow-Jews.

This is hardly a quibble. The implications of the Reform movement’s misleading use of the word "Judaism" are enormous, particularly for the State of Israel. .......................

Should it be successful in that misguided and misleading quest, Israel’s Jews will be subject to two separate Jewish religions, and the State itself will be radically transformed, indeed dismembered.

................. but it will surely only create divisive havoc in the Jewish State, where two entirely different visions of Judaism will spell societal destruction.

Can we Reform Jews summon the wisdom and fortitude to admit that our movement simply is not, and should not be called, Judaism? ........................

AM ECHAD RESOURCES

[Robert Lappin, a businessman and philanthropist, is a past president of the Federation of the North Shore in Massachusetts]
.................................................. ...............
AC
well this is certainly a case of putting ones politics before one's religion. It shows that religion is not ultimately important but its implications can be

antichrist
03-08-2011, 12:47 AM
the sole denominator of religion is having to stare into that void once death is upon us

but if already death then no thinking mind to contemplate anything, if not dead but about to be shot in the head I dont think they would think about a god but just that ruddy gun

Kevin Bonham
03-08-2011, 12:50 AM
flopreader and upldiscovered. World class turkeys, both of them. Those were the days. :lol:

Hobbes
07-11-2011, 01:09 PM
flopreader and upldiscovered. World class turkeys, both of them. Those were the days. :lol:

Now we have a new challenger in Mr S***.

:lol:

S-word
07-11-2011, 04:18 PM
but if already death then no thinking mind to contemplate anything, if not dead but about to be shot in the head I dont think they would think about a god but just that ruddy gun

Ah Hah, so you believe that "YOU" the mind/spirit that is conceived in that body and develops from all the information that is taken in through the senses of that physical womb, actually dies with the first death, which is when your body is returned to the universal elements from which it was created. But what if it doesn't? What will happen to those minds, who have not prepared themselves for life beyond the grave?

What is the reward that a mind receives?
Surely it is, what that mind believes
So the mind that rejects eternity
When freed from its body, where will it be?

What is that body, which gave to you “Birth]
Is it nothing but elements taken from earth?
Or was it created from the spirits and soul
Of your ancestral spirits, from times that is old?

Believe as you will, but remember this verse
When your coffin is placed in the back of the hearse
The reward that the mind must surely receive
Is that which the mind, (Not in the Hearse) believes...By S-word.