PDA

View Full Version : Free Reproduction Rights Granted

Axiom
13-09-2008, 01:28 PM
the post was from prison planet which gives free reproduction rights , so can i repost it , giving this source link ?

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2008, 01:45 PM
the post was from prison planet which gives free reproduction rights , so can i repost it , giving this source link ?

The post by John Pilger that I deleted twice was from lewrockwell.com where the original (http://www.lewrockwell.com/pilger/pilger68.html) is clearly indicated as copyright.

************ itself clearly states:

If you wish to use copyrighted material from this site for purposes of your own that go beyond 'fair use', you must obtain permission from the copyright owner.

In Australian copyright law the "fair use" defence does not apply and the nearest equivalent, "fair dealing" does not permit the verbatim copying and pasting of an article written with expectation of profit, even if you are not making a profit from purchasing it.

It is permitted to use copyright material for the purpose of criticism and review by the person doing the copying but it is crystal-clear that copy and paste without criticism and review is not allowed.

More about this may be found in the "fair dealing" link at http://www.copyright.org.au/information/introduction/introductory.htm

So no, you can't copy and paste it unless you get permission from John Pilger.

Axiom
13-09-2008, 01:52 PM
But i can reproduce , at least in part , with some added critical review , yes ?

Bill Gletsos
13-09-2008, 01:59 PM
In fact Axiom has previously been warned on a number of occasions about copying stuff verbatim from websites.

He was told he could copy a few lines and then he should post a link.

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2008, 06:08 PM
But i can reproduce , at least in part , with some added critical review , yes ?

If you are not providing significant original critical review then brief excerpts with a link are permitted. You can copy more than that for the purposes of significant original critical review of either what you are copying or what you are using the material to reply to. Critical review must include "a judgment of the material concerned, or of the underlying ideas." so just so-and-so-says (blah) or I agree with (blah) is not sufficient.

Curiously this is much the same standard that we apply to dragging from the Toolbox!

As Bill notes you have already had more than enough warnings about this.