PDA

View Full Version : Play chess against a chess engine online

kin
12-09-2008, 08:10 PM
Hello everybody.

I just wanted to share with you an address of a website where you can play chess against a chess engine, Queenside.net.

http://www.queenside.net/

I am a computer student and i created that webside to play chess at work.
You can play everywhere, you just need a web browser.

If you have any comment on that website, I'll glad to read it.

I hope you will like it. :)

Samson
13-09-2008, 11:49 AM
It's great... beats me easily!

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2008, 01:05 PM
A playback feature would be useful. It appears not to keep any record of the moves.

I'm 1900-ish at present and it's been beating me repeatedly in quick games (about nine in a row) though most of the games are close and I probably should have won a few of them.

It displays a fair variety of opening lines, but often seems to prefer offbeat or even outright rubbish lines to main lines. For instance after 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nd2 Nf6 4.e5 Nfd7 5.c3 c5 it has twice played 6.Nb1? against me. Also after 1.e4 e6 2.d4 d5 3.Nc3 Bb4 4.e5 c5 it seems unduly fond of the uncommon line 5.Nf3.

It's very dogged in declining exchanges that it doesn't want. One drawback of its playing style is that like many computers it will often shuffle pieces for a very long time in positions where not much is going on, although not to the point of allowing repetition.

I'd like to check how it goes on recognising draws but haven't yet played well enough to test this.

Samson
13-09-2008, 01:54 PM
It thinks for a while in critical positions. How did you get it to play such bad moves, Kevin Bonham? Plays good against me.

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2008, 06:44 PM
It thinks for a while in critical positions. How did you get it to play such bad moves, Kevin Bonham? Plays good against me.

Seems to be just an opening book issue. I haven't seen it play any obviously bad moves once out of book.

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2008, 08:25 PM
Thought I'd see how it goes against a real opponent so gave it a four-game match against Fritz 11. It impressed by drawing the first game with white but was thoroughly beaten in the other three. A few more issues I've found:

* in the first game against Fritz it got down to KR vs KR so I called the game a draw and started mucking around to see whether it would recognise draws by triple rep or 50 moves. Instead it did something else - somewhere around the end of the 50 moves (I wasn't keeping count) it blundered its rook!

* it appears not to allow for promotion to pieces other than queen.

* the ? in the top right corner for help works in IE but apparently doesn't do anything in Firefox.

Ivanchuk_Fan
13-09-2008, 09:42 PM
I am afraid this chess computer has a major flaw. If you make the same move with the same piece twice in a game (e.g. 2.Ne5 and 4.Ne5), the computer immediately changes the position back to the way it was before making the first move.

For example, if you play 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.Ng1 e5 3.Nf3, the instant one plays 3.Nf3...the position diverts back to the position before 2.Ng1!.

However, this is probably just a bug and should be fairly easy to resolve.

Another problem is that there is no button for starting a new game, although given that one can always just refresh the page to start a new game, this is not a major concern.

Being able to flip the board would be another useful feature, too. That way I could learn how to 'turn the tables' when I am losing.

Aaron Guthrie
13-09-2008, 09:58 PM
Triple rep would be nice.

Got a similar thing as Kevin with it losing a tempo on while seeming to be in book. It played Bf4 then immediately Be3.

Kevin Bonham
13-09-2008, 09:58 PM
I am afraid this chess computer has a major flaw. If you make the same move with the same piece twice in a game (e.g. 2.Ne5 and 4.Ne5), the computer immediately changes the position back to the way it was before making the first move.

For example, if you play 1.Nf3 Nf6 2.Ng1 e5 3.Nf3, the instant one plays 3.Nf3...the position diverts back to the position before 2.Ng1!.

I tried this and the position didn't divert in my case; it played 3...Nc6.

Dougy
14-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Well... I got trounced!

themovingman
14-09-2008, 04:34 PM
I like it quite a lot - I was asked by a club-member a while ago whether I knew of any sites to play against a computer - I bashed up a few links and this reminds me that I had better check them to see if they still work, as well as adding this one.

I'd appreciate it if anyone would quickly check (in a spare moment) and see if anything I have missed or is just irksome - addresses are http://gosfordchess.com/ toward the bottom-left "play online"
or to be more specific http://gosfordchess.com/Programs/playchesses.html

thanks to the author (the OP) , many thanks

john102774
30-11-2008, 02:53 PM
Hello everybody.

I just wanted to share with you an address of a website where you can play chess against a chess engine, Queenside.net.

http://www.queenside.net/

I am a computer student and i created that webside to play chess at work.
You can play everywhere, you just need a web browser.

If you have any comment on that website, I'll glad to read it.

I hope you will like it. :)

Good stuff! I really like it.

Kevin Bonham
30-11-2008, 05:06 PM
Hopefully kin has been logging on as guest to read these comments because his/her account has not been logged in since 24 minutes after he/she made the first post to this thread.

kin
09-12-2008, 04:13 AM
still here :) and working on a 960 version of queenside'net :)

Kevin Bonham
09-12-2008, 09:03 PM
It certainly isn't recognising triple rep at the moment. I just had the better side of a draw against it (got down to KR2P vs KRP but was unable to make progress) and it was happy to keep repeating.