PDA

View Full Version : Guy West -turned 50 today!

Leonid Sandler
07-09-2008, 07:44 AM
Today September 7th ,2008 International master Guy West is celebrating his birthday.Former Australian Champion,many times Victorian Champion Guy has represented Australia in numerous Chess Olympiad,other important international events.On behalf of Chess Victoria I would like to wish him very happy birthday !
I am sure that Guy will continue to show us his chess talent in many years to come!
Happy Birthday !

Spiny Norman
07-09-2008, 08:13 AM
Happy Birthday Guy ... hope its a good one! :clap:

Basil
07-09-2008, 09:56 AM
Happy birthday Guy! And the man only looks 40!

Rincewind
07-09-2008, 10:21 AM
50 is a milestone. Well done!

eclectic
07-09-2008, 01:19 PM
Many Happy Returns Guy :clap:

MichaelBaron
07-09-2008, 01:29 PM
Happy Birthday, Guy :clap:

I am sure that Guy still has a lot of tournament victores ahead of him.

Adamski
07-09-2008, 02:28 PM
Congratulations, Guy. 50 is a significant milestone. And life after 50 just gets busier!

Metro
07-09-2008, 04:04 PM
Today September 7th ,2008 International master Guy West is celebrating his birthday.Former Australian Champion,many times Victorian Champion Guy has represented Australia in numerous Chess Olympiad,other important international events.On behalf of Chess Victoria I would like to wish him very happy birthday !
I am sure that Guy will continue to show us his chess talent in many years to come!
Happy Birthday !

Happy birthday,Guy:clap:
I wonder if he wants it publicised though:hmm: Where's that CCBC?(Chess Chat Birthday cake)

Gattaca
07-09-2008, 06:00 PM
Jean just drew my attention to this thread!

Thank you one and all. It's very kind of you.

Hopefully I will still be able to contribute to Australian chess as a player and in other ways for quite a long time yet.

Guy.

Capablanca-Fan
07-09-2008, 07:40 PM
Many happy returns :clap: :clap:

Axiom
07-09-2008, 08:00 PM
Enjoy your guilt free bag of nuts and barrel of beer ! :D

ER
07-09-2008, 09:42 PM
“In chess, perseverance is extremely important, and shouldn’t be underestimated,” (...) “Many people in business will tell you the same thing – that if you survive the first five years you’ve got a very good chance of being successful. In chess and business it’s certainly not enough just to be talented.” Guy West - 2006.

" ... I remember also how as an Olympiad player I used to read the donors list in Chess In Australia and how much the support meant. Sometimes an unheralded player would donate $50 or $100 and years later I still remember their names and respect them for their love of the sport...." Guy West - 2004

As a birthday present to Guy, I post here two extracts of his writings and/or interviews with the assurance that our admiration and respect for his personality and achievements will always be the same and our Chess community will always be proud of him.
Happy birthday Guy, many happy returns!
Cheers and good luck!

Watto
08-09-2008, 11:59 AM
Happy birthday Guy! And the man only looks 40!
Yes, I’d have thought early 40s. If he hadn’t received a card or two with the number 50 rudely plastered on the front, I think we’d both have difficulty believing it... ;)

True short story: Earlier this year, a surgeon was discussing Guy’s shoulder injury in front of a number of medical students and described him briefly to them as a ‘caucasian male, mid-30s’. Guy interrupted and said, ‘er, that would be 49’. The surgeon arched his eyebrows, looked at him quizzically and then asked the junior doctor to check the files for Guy’s birth date. lol.

Tony Dowden
08-09-2008, 01:52 PM
Happy Birthday for yesterday Guy :cool:

One of these days you'll have to tell the rest of us the secret to eternal youth - a judicious mix of chess, tennis and just the right number of late nights I guess ...

From Tony, Marina and the kids

PS Its about time you and Jean came over and played soem more chess in Tassie :)

Dougy
08-09-2008, 06:53 PM
Healthy body => healthy mind. (: Happy birthday!

Ian Murray
09-09-2008, 08:12 PM
Many happies, Guy

You're gaining on me - once I was twice your age!

Gattaca
10-09-2008, 01:28 AM
Thanks again everyone.

There are actually a few secrets to staying young I think.

1. Stay up late.

2. Avoid breakfast.

3. Talk to yourself in a high pitched voice at least daily.

4. Eat Saunders malt extract straight from the can.

5. Don't have kids until at least 50. (What's the rush?)

6. Never wear white underpants, especially those ones with the blue line around them.

7. Stay interested in the Large Hadron Collider and that sort of thing.

ElevatorEscapee
11-09-2008, 09:02 PM
Congratulations Guy, may you celebrate many more birthdays. :)

*Takes interest in the Hadron thingy...

Igor_Goldenberg
18-09-2008, 02:59 PM
Happy birthday!

Sorry for being late, just noticed the thread.

Taigastyle
19-09-2008, 10:58 PM
Happy Birthday :clap: