PDA

View Full Version : Monitors

Davidflude
01-09-2008, 09:26 PM
I have been looking at buying a large monitor for showing games live in the Box Hill Chess Club when we use the digital board.

One alternative would be to buy a 32 inch TV set and use it as a monitor. The cost of this would be $800-$1000.

However my personal TV broke down while under warranty and has to go to the menders. Fortunately my PC has a TV card so I am watching TV on a 24" monitor cost about $400.

Once my TV is fixed I will take the 24inch monitor to the club to see what it looks like.

Meanwhile has anyone else experience in using large monitors for displaying
on-line games

Rincewind
01-09-2008, 09:43 PM
While they are mainly scavengers eating eggs or hatchlings in their nest, I would not recommend playing games with large monitors. They have sharp claws and strong bites.

http://www.epa.qld.gov.au/images/nature_conservation/wildlife/caring/reptiles_image_37.jpg

Trent Parker
02-09-2008, 09:15 AM
Belly Laugh! hehehe

Rincewind
02-09-2008, 02:19 PM
However my personal TV broke down while under warranty and has to go to the menders. Fortunately my PC has a TV card so I am watching TV on a 24" monitor cost about $400.

Hi David, I hope you forgive my attempt at humour.

On a more serious note, the issue you may find with a computer monitor is that they are generally not designed to perform under a wide range of viewing angles. As far as gaming goes, the market there caters for the first-person shooter style of games and frame rates and response times are the issue. For chess game display, frame rates are a non-issue (even in blitz).

So my feeling is I would spend money getting a screen with a wider viewing angles and perhaps a TV with a good viewing angle is better suited to your task.

Southpaw Jim
02-09-2008, 02:59 PM
I'd second a tv. Not really relevant, but console (eg PS3, Xbox) games look great on tvs, so if it's for audience viewing, I don't see why a tv wouldn't be the best option given Barry's point about viewing angles.

Garvinator
02-09-2008, 04:39 PM
RW, where are you advising David to put the TV card on the pictured monitor ;) ?

Aaron Guthrie
02-09-2008, 05:58 PM
Probably a screen that won't end up with images being burnt into it is a good idea if you want to use it for chess.

Spiny Norman
03-09-2008, 06:58 AM
Has anyone here bought (or seen) a Kogan brand TV? www.kogan.com.au They seem pretty inexpensive compared to the big names, but I am concerned that the quality might be suspect?

Trent Parker
03-09-2008, 08:22 AM
In my experiend unknown name =unrelyable

well known name -reliable