PDA

View Full Version : Suggest Non Chess Sub Forum - Politics

Basil
15-08-2008, 10:07 PM
I'd like to suggest the creation of a new sub-forum in Non Chess.

It strikes me that there is (and has been for some time) sufficient volume of material, interest and participation in the political threads.

I propose a "Politics" sub forum.

Our political discussion is of a collectively high enough standard (as can be expected of a BB), IMO.

A further advanatge is that those not interested can avoid all such subject matter at a glance (mark as read). It has been said more than once that these subjects are of little interest to some people.

eclectic
15-08-2008, 10:13 PM
i second gunner's motion (assuming he deems me duly qualified to do so! :P)

Kevin Bonham
15-08-2008, 10:14 PM
Would you like religion threads in there as well?

eclectic
15-08-2008, 10:20 PM

ok we'll request a religion sub forum too provided a connecting interdisciplinary corridor is also created :owned:

Adamski
15-08-2008, 11:00 PM
I think that it would be a good idea to have a "Religion" (or "Christianity Related Debates") sub-forum. Currently, it is quite difficult to find all the threads that broadly fall under the heading of religion (assuming of course that one wants to find them), As an example, there are lots of threads that concern origins science / creation v evolution (some subsequently combined into the huge catch-all bucket called "Does God Exist") , but searching on such key words gives too many hits!

Basil
15-08-2008, 11:32 PM
I think a very good case can be made for a second sub forum for religion/ creation.

In considering the issue of extraneous subdividivision, I'd suggest that this forum has sufficient critical mass, legitimate diversity, luker interest etc. to warrant the subdivisions as suggested.

Aaron Guthrie
16-08-2008, 07:53 AM
Politics dominates as a common subject of threads in non-chess. Right now I count 10 politics threads on the front page of non-chess. I don't think anything else comes close. For this reason a sub-forum might be a good idea for politics.
I think that it would be a good idea to have a "Religion" (or "Christianity Related Debates") sub-forum. Currently, it is quite difficult to find all the threads that broadly fall under the heading of religion (assuming of course that one wants to find them), As an example, there are lots of threads that concern origins science / creation v evolution (some subsequently combined into the huge catch-all bucket called "Does God Exist") , but searching on such key words gives too many hits!A religion/creation sub-forum might also make sense due to the fact that the participants seem to refer back to old material a lot. Also there seems to be talking accross threads, but maybe that is just a Jono vs. Rincewind thing. This is in contrast to another common topic, sport, where the threads seem relatively independent of each other, and with a relatively short life span.

Miguel
16-08-2008, 03:41 PM
I propose a "Politics" sub forum.
Support.

A separate sub-forum might be useful, but I think it should be general and not dedicated to any particular sect or cult. Maybe something like "Religion and New Age".

CameronD
16-08-2008, 03:42 PM
Should make a swansea fc sub forum as well

Aaron Guthrie
16-08-2008, 07:23 PM
A separate sub-forum might be useful, but I think it should be general and not dedicated to any particular sect or cult. Maybe something like "Religion and New Age".Do we even have any "new age" threads on this site?

Rincewind
16-08-2008, 07:42 PM
Do we even have any "new age" threads on this site?

Not since Cat stopped posting.

Basil
03-09-2008, 02:21 AM
Has there been any progress within the 'Circle Of Gloves' regarding my humble request?

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2008, 03:10 PM
It looks like "Politics" subforum will happen very soon; could do with some more discussion re the name for a religion/atheism subforum also taking in creation/evolution debates.

Rincewind
03-09-2008, 03:13 PM
My suggestion is "Philosophical and Theological Discussion".

Aaron Guthrie
03-09-2008, 03:35 PM
Why have a philosophy subsection? The religion/creation debates are ongoing and popular. I see no comparable enthusiasm for the philosophy threads.

edit: oh the "Philosophical and Theological Discussion" title doesn't match the request for "a religion/atheism subforum also taking in creation/evolution debates". This is a tad confusing.

Bill Gletsos
03-09-2008, 03:56 PM
Why have a philosophy subsection? The religion/creation debates are ongoing and popular. I see no comparable enthusiasm for the philosophy threads.

edit: oh the "Philosophical and Theological Discussion" title doesn't match the request for "a religion/atheism subforum also taking in creation/evolution debates". This is a tad confusing.I am all for the Nuts and Dolts Discussion forum. ;)

Aaron Guthrie
03-09-2008, 04:00 PM
I am all for the Nuts and Dolts Discussion forum. ;)Do you mean as a rename for "Non-Chess", or for "Chess Chat"?

Bill Gletsos
03-09-2008, 04:02 PM
Do you mean as a rename for "Non-Chess", or for "Chess Chat"?I was referring to the proposed new subforum.

Aaron Guthrie
03-09-2008, 04:03 PM
I was referring to the proposed new subforum.I don't think there is much point in having a sub-forum that everyone will have to post everything in.

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2008, 04:05 PM
"Theology and Evolution" would be fine by me - captures the main battlegrounds while also not being "home territory" for either team.

Rincewind
03-09-2008, 04:33 PM

edit: oh the "Philosophical and Theological Discussion" title doesn't match the request for "a religion/atheism subforum also taking in creation/evolution debates". This is a tad confusing.

My objective was to capture not only the science/pseudoscience type of debate but some of the more metaphysical discussion Frosty has been engaging (e.g. freedom of choice/freewill) which are unrelated but generally informed by the religious persuasion of the participants.

Regarding "Evolution", this may be too narrow as the non-biological sciences are also involved, some (like geology) substantially.

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2008, 04:38 PM
Regarding "Evolution", this may be too narrow as the non-biological sciences are also involved, some (like geology) substantially.

True.

Aaron Guthrie
03-09-2008, 04:55 PM
My objective was to capture not only the science/pseudoscience type of debate but some of the more metaphysical discussion Frosty has been engaging (e.g. freedom of choice/freewill) which are unrelated but generally informed by the religious persuasion of the participants.I'll grant that it comes in but I don't think to such a degree that it warrants putting into the same section. So take that thread, it had some religion, but it managed to stay on topic and didn't devolve into a religious thread. I really don't like the idea that of the few philosophy threads this board gets they have to be lumped into the religion/creation section.

Rincewind
03-09-2008, 04:55 PM
Perhaps we shouldn't get too hung up on the name. Is simply

Religion and Science

offensive to anyone?

In the description we can include some words on related topics like the freewill discussion if people would like it to live there too.

Aaron Guthrie
03-09-2008, 05:00 PM
Religion and ScienceI was considering suggesting this, but I was unsure if it was a bit confusing. It can be read as to mean "the forum for both religious topics and scientific topics", or "the forum for topics that involve (at the same time) religion and science", but I guess what is actually wanted is "the board for both religious topics, and topics that include both religion and science".

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2008, 06:27 PM
Perhaps we shouldn't get too hung up on the name. Is simply

Religion and Science

offensive to anyone?

I'm fine with it. It's an approximation (since some Christians claim not to be religious and some science will not be relevant in there) but we should all have a fair idea what it means.

Trent Parker
03-09-2008, 07:44 PM
How about "religion v science"

Keep it in plain english

EDIT: Oops didnt realise RW had already posted something.

Rincewind
03-09-2008, 07:57 PM
How about "religion v science"

I don;t like the "v" in that title as it implies an excluded middle.

eclectic
03-09-2008, 08:02 PM
{religion} ∩ {science}

Kevin Bonham
03-09-2008, 11:22 PM
Rincewind has made the changes and I have now searched about the top third of the non-chess section for suitable threads to move, and moved them. Over the next few days these sections will expand with more old threads being moved into them. Any nominations for threads missed over the first 10 pages or so of non-chess welcome.

Basil
04-09-2008, 01:08 AM
Rincewind has made the changes and I have now searched about the top third of the non-chess section for suitable threads to move, and moved them. Over the next few days these sections will expand with more old threads being moved into them. Any nominations for threads missed over the first 10 pages or so of non-chess welcome.
Thanks men. Work well done.

Capablanca-Fan
04-09-2008, 06:44 PM
They look good to me, thanx.

ER
04-09-2008, 09:09 PM
Thanks for adding to my plight of locating threads!
Another proof that you guys are nuts! :P
Cheers and good luck! :)

Kevin Bonham
05-09-2008, 11:32 PM
I've now had a full run through but it was a pretty quick one. I probably missed a few.

Rincewind
05-09-2008, 11:46 PM
Thanks men. Work well done.

As usual my effort was minimal and the mods (primarily Kevin I suspect in this case) did the lion's share of the work and therefore deserve the thanks.

Hopefully those posters wishing to look into these topics will find it easier with all the related threads in the one place. Conversely those wishing to avoid these threads will find the new arrangement more convenient for the same reason.

Adamski
06-09-2008, 12:08 AM
I'll add my congratulations - its now easier to find debates related to some sort of intersect between religion and science (but not the union of them). Ta, Kevin and team.

Kevin Bonham
06-09-2008, 04:38 PM
There were a few tricky demarcation cases where a thread concerned the politics of a religious issue. Most of these wound up in the Politics section but not all.