PDA

View Full Version : chess program for linux

lioncub
05-07-2008, 03:12 PM
Hi,

Anyone had much to do with linux, opensource software ?

I have been using crafty for a while now with xboard interface. I find crafty is more than a match for me and ultra aggressive - have'nt worked out how to pacify it yet ! Any other better alternatives out there ?
thxs

Rincewind
05-07-2008, 03:23 PM
I think crafty is pretty good for a free program. If it is more than a match, why upgrade? :)

lioncub
05-07-2008, 06:51 PM
I think crafty is pretty good for a free program. If it is more than a match, why upgrade? :)

Do you know how I can tame it's aggressiveness by using command line parameters ?
thxs

Rincewind
06-07-2008, 12:11 AM
Do you know how I can tame it's aggressiveness by using command line parameters ?
thxs

You can use the commands

sd <n>

to set the maximum search depth (half moves ahead). Limiting this will cause crafty to suffer from short sighted move horizon effects.

sn <n>

to set the maximum number of nodes but like sd above but controlled by number of positions rather than depth. When there are many forced moves Crafty will search more deeply than otherwise but time wise it should be consistent

st <n>

sets the time (in seconds) for Crafty to spend thinking per move.

The other option which can make it a little easier to beat is

ponder off

this will stop crafty from thinking in your time.

lioncub
06-07-2008, 12:01 PM
You can use the commands

sd <n>

to set the maximum search depth (half moves ahead). Limiting this will cause crafty to suffer from short sighted move horizon effects.

sn <n>

to set the maximum number of nodes but like sd above but controlled by number of positions rather than depth. When there are many forced moves Crafty will search more deeply than otherwise but time wise it should be consistent

st <n>

sets the time (in seconds) for Crafty to spend thinking per move.

The other option which can make it a little easier to beat is

ponder off

this will stop crafty from thinking in your time.

Thanks for the information, but that's not what I'm after. I have no desire to decrease crafty's strength any further. What I want to do, is to alter it's personality from aggressive to more balanced. I have tried 'evaluation asymmetry -25' at the end of the command line with no luck.