PDA

View Full Version : What is the result?

WhiteElephant
01-07-2008, 01:13 AM
What is the correct result in the following scenarios?

Player A has a King + Knight + Bishop (white squared)
Player B has a King + Bishop (black squared)

1) What is the result if player A's flag falls?
2) What is the result if Player B's flag falls?

I guess what I am asking is if someone's flag falls and their opponent has enough material to mate but cannot force mate, is the result a draw or a loss to the player whose flag falls?

3) What about in the same scenario, player A notices that his time is about to run out but he is nowhere near getting close to the 50-move rule. Can he stop the clock and claim a draw since his opponent cannot force a checkmate?

And final question, are the answers to 1-3 the same in blitz Vs longer time controls?

Thanks!

Bill Gletsos
01-07-2008, 01:24 AM
What is the correct result in the following scenarios?

Player A has a King + Knight + Bishop (white squared)
Player B has a King + Bishop (black squared)

1) What is the result if player A's flag falls?
2) What is the result if Player B's flag falls?

I guess what I am asking is if someone's flag falls and their opponent has enough material to mate but cannot force mate, is the result a draw or a loss to the player whose flag falls?
1) B wins.
2) A wins.

3) What about in the same scenario, player A notices that his time is about to run out but he is nowhere near getting close to the 50-move rule. Can he stop the clock and claim a draw since his opponent cannot force a checkmate?Provided there is no increment and it is the final time control period then once player A has less than 2 minutes left he can make a claim under Article 10.2.

And final question, are the answers to 1-3 the same in blitz Vs longer time controls?Answers are the same in rapid to all 3 questions. In blitz the answers are the same in 1 & 2. Since Article 10.2 does not apply in blitz then A cannot stop his clock and claim.