PDA

View Full Version : Can not sign into www.fide.com

Garvinator
13-06-2008, 03:14 PM
For quite a while now, each time I try either of www.fide.com or fide.com, it keeps timing out.

I know others can load the page, so looking for other solutions.

Rincewind
13-06-2008, 05:02 PM
Works here but it seems to be a new look so perhaps they have just rolled out a new website.

The name www.fide.com resolves to 88.255.51.51 here. Perhaps your problem is DNS related so you could check that you resolve to that address too.

Garvinator
13-06-2008, 05:52 PM
Works here but it seems to be a new look so perhaps they have just rolled out a new website.

The name www.fide.com resolves to 88.255.51.51 here. Perhaps your problem is DNS related so you could check that you resolve to that address too.
and how do I do that? :doh:

Rincewind
13-06-2008, 06:44 PM
and how do I do that? :doh:

Easiest way is to open a command line and enter the command

ping www.fide.com

It will then tell you what IP address it is pinging. Like...

C:\>ping www.fide.com

Pinging www.fide.com [88.255.51.51] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Don't worry about it not responding to the ping, that's ok. We just want to know the IP address. There are other commands to do this but ping works on most operating systems.

Garvinator
13-06-2008, 06:51 PM
Easiest way is to open a command line and enter the command

ping www.fide.com

It will then tell you what IP address it is pinging. Like...

C:\>ping www.fide.com

Pinging www.fide.com [88.255.51.51] with 32 bytes of data:

Request timed out.
Request timed out.
Request timed out.

Don't worry about it not responding to the ping, that's ok. We just want to know the IP address. There are other commands to do this but ping works on most operating systems.
Ok done, ip address same as above 88.255.51.51

Rincewind
13-06-2008, 09:50 PM
Ok done, ip address same as above 88.255.51.51

Ok. So if you are not going through some kind of filtering proxy server perhaps it is a browser dependency. Are you using Mozilla Firefox? (Mind you I have no problems with IE either.)

Garvinator
13-06-2008, 10:22 PM
Ok. So if you are not going through some kind of filtering proxy server perhaps it is a browser dependency. Are you using Mozilla Firefox? (Mind you I have no problems with IE either.)
Mozilla Firefox.

Rincewind
13-06-2008, 11:17 PM
Mozilla Firefox.

Any unusual Add ons?

eclectic
13-06-2008, 11:21 PM
has his i p address been blocked by fide?

(just kidding! ;))

Basil
13-06-2008, 11:23 PM
My money's (both dollars) on a caching problem. Garv do you have an alternate browser?

Garvinator
13-06-2008, 11:43 PM
My money's (both dollars) on a caching problem. Garv do you have an alternate browser?
Indeed I do, ie :eek: :eek: :eek: and had no luck there either.

Garvinator
13-06-2008, 11:44 PM
Any unusual Add ons?
Nope. I do not add much at all to the basic firefox, except for bookmarks on the toolbar.

Garvinator
13-06-2008, 11:45 PM
has his i p address been blocked by fide?

(just kidding! ;))
I had been expecting someone to quip that I am probably better off not being able to see the fide website ;) :cool:

Garvinator
17-06-2008, 01:15 AM
Have I been given up on?

Brian_Jones
17-06-2008, 09:29 AM
Have I been given up on?

Yes, because you are the only one with the problem! :)

I have no problem with www.fide.com :)

Rincewind
17-06-2008, 10:00 AM
Have I been given up on?

It seems to be something subtle.

Have you tried clearing your cache of all cookies and trying again?

Do you run a firewall on the computer?
Is there a firewall on your gateway/router/modem?

If so you could try disabling these and trying again to see if they are causing an issue.

Have you checked your computer connected via another network? Perhaps your ISP is blocking something.

If none of that works cajole an IT person to come have a look at it by offering free beer. :)

Brian_Jones
17-06-2008, 11:38 AM
........If none of that works cajole an IT person to come have a look at it by offering free beer. :)

The most constructive idea I've heard today! :)

Denis_Jessop
17-06-2008, 08:22 PM

I agree. It seems to be a Garvin-only problem as, even though the FIDE website now operates from Turkey in the Mystic East, I have had no problem in accessing it without the need even to rub my computer first :eek:

DJ

Rincewind
17-06-2008, 10:11 PM

I'd offer my own services but that would entail a return airplane ticket and beer. :)

Garvinator
17-06-2008, 10:17 PM
I'd offer my own services but that would entail a return airplane ticket and beer. :)
That would probably be more helpful than optus has been.

Bill Gletsos
17-06-2008, 10:25 PM
That would probably be more helpful than optus has been.I'm on optus and I am not having a problem accessing the FIDE website.

eclectic
17-06-2008, 10:29 PM
yes ...

pity it isn't axiom having trouble accessing his favorite websites ... :whistle:

;)

Basil
17-06-2008, 10:30 PM
Garvin, have you got your old Mt Buller ticket. Send him that an' a stubbie an' you've apparently got a deal.

• Are you sure you're typing FIDE and not FIDO?
• Are you sure you're not having a lend and you've been on fide for the last week?
• What do you want from that site anyway? A laugh?

And now for some serious advice. Are you certain you are using the full http: address?

Rincewind
17-06-2008, 10:37 PM
I'm on optus and I am not having a problem accessing the FIDE website.

I ordered my suggestions in what I would expect to be decreasing likelihood. Another network is something that is worth trying if you're able but I don't really expect the ISP to be blocking the site. Although with new legislation that is always being suggested, it may become a more likely scenario soon.

ElevatorEscapee
17-06-2008, 10:58 PM
I too have no difficulty with Optus.

Garvin, have you tried super refreshing the website to clear the cache (just hold down shift and left click on refresh in IE).

If that doesn't work, would you please tell us what kind of error message you are getting (ie a 404 page not found, etc)? :)

Basil
17-06-2008, 11:05 PM
I too have no difficulty with Optus.
Rubbish. You have difficulty with everything!

Garvin, have you tried super refreshing the website to clear the cache .
Garvin will try anything once. He told me so (except donkeys). Riding them!

If that doesn't work, would you please tell us what kind of error message you are getting
He did. It's a time out job.

Garvinator
20-06-2008, 11:14 PM
Will be hopefully on a wireless connection on Sunday, so that might give some answers.

In the mean time, I can add another piece to the puzzle. Shirty has put up new fide ratings for our tournaments. When I clicked on that link, I was able to get that information. But as soon as I tried to access the home page by clicking home on said page, no luck. Still times out.

Rhubarb
21-06-2008, 12:05 AM
Will be hopefully on a wireless connection on Sunday, so that might give some answers.

In the mean time, I can add another piece to the puzzle. Shirty has put up new fide ratings for our tournaments. When I clicked on that link, I was able to get that information. But as soon as I tried to access the home page by clicking home on said page, no luck. Still times out.

Garvin, that link is in the http://ratings.fide.com subdomain so it's possible that your system and/or ISP still has a problem with the fide.com domain.

Another possibility is that you have a very slow and/or unreliable connection. Because FIDE's new home page is so graphics-intensive you may end up timing out every single time.

Garvinator
21-06-2008, 02:04 AM
Garvin, that link is in the http://ratings.fide.com subdomain so it's possible that your system and/or ISP still has a problem with the fide.com domain. Indeed.

Another possibility is that you have a very slow and/or unreliable connection. I think this is unlikely. Cable internet.

Adding further information. Have now tried on older computer (single core Intel pentium 4 pc) and it also times out.

I do think that confirms I have either some sort of internet or firewall problem.

Zwischenzug
21-06-2008, 05:59 PM
I do think that confirms I have either some sort of internet or firewall problem.

Can't be a firewall unless you have a firewall installed on your old computer as well. Problem is either with the FIDE website or your service provider.

Garvinator
22-06-2008, 05:28 PM
The saga continues and gets a bit more interesting.

Was able to open the fide home page using www.fide.com on laptop while using wireless internet at State Library of Queensland.

I think that means I definetely have an isp issue with Optus. Any other conclusions?

Rincewind
22-06-2008, 09:22 PM
The saga continues and gets a bit more interesting.

Was able to open the fide home page using www.fide.com on laptop while using wireless internet at State Library of Queensland.

I think that means I definetely have an isp issue with Optus. Any other conclusions?

Either that or something wrong with your router at home. As I mentioned several posts ago it would be worth disabling any firewall / port blocking filters that might be enabled no your router to take it out of consideration.

Garvinator
23-06-2008, 01:27 AM
Either that or something wrong with your router at home. As I mentioned several posts ago it would be worth disabling any firewall / port blocking filters that might be enabled no your router to take it out of consideration.
Just tried this via: Start/Control Panel/Windows Firewall/turn off.

No luck there either. Same issue.

Rincewind
23-06-2008, 09:39 AM
Just tried this via: Start/Control Panel/Windows Firewall/turn off.

No luck there either. Same issue.

Yes that is the firewall on the PC I was talking about the cable modem itself. I don't have a huge experience with cable modems but if they are similar to ADSL modems then there is a router built in which can perform a level of filtering. However, I guess chances are the problem is further upstream with your ISP.

Desmond
23-06-2008, 02:23 PM
Do a hard re-start of the modem. If that doesn't work you can usually open the firewall setting via a browser and make fide an exception.

Bill Gletsos
23-06-2008, 02:39 PM
Yes that is the firewall on the PC I was talking about the cable modem itself. I don't have a huge experience with cable modems but if they are similar to ADSL modems then there is a router built in which can perform a level of filtering. However, I guess chances are the problem is further upstream with your ISP.I wonder what model cable modem he has.

Ian Murray
23-06-2008, 08:02 PM
I wonder what model cable modem he has.
Optus recently replaced my original cable modem with a Motorola SurfBoard

Hard to imagine any relevance though - either it works with all web sites or none

Bill Gletsos
23-06-2008, 09:32 PM
Optus recently replaced my original cable modem with a Motorola SurfBoardSame here when they replaced my old Nortel CM100.

Hard to imagine any relevance though - either it works with all web sites or noneWith regards Cable modems thats true.
I was trying to determine if he had a cable modem or an ADSL modem.

I'm unaware of any cable modems with built-in routers, however I believe some ADSL modems also include routing functions.

Rincewind
23-06-2008, 11:29 PM
I was trying to determine if he had a cable modem or an ADSL modem.

Post #29 seems to point to cable. Not living in a capital city I've not had much to do with it. If these things have firewalls then that is a possible source of problem. If not then it is a weird one.

It would probably be best to post something on a support BB so other users in the local area could test to see if they are having problems too. If they are then the ISP will have a hard time claiming the problem is not theirs.

Desmond
24-06-2008, 08:43 AM
It is also possible that you have more than one software firewall running. Eg if you use Norton for virus scanning, there may be a Norton firewall running at the same time as your Windows one.

Ian Murray
24-06-2008, 07:43 PM
...It would probably be best to post something on a support BB so other users in the local area could test to see if they are having problems too. If they are then the ISP will have a hard time claiming the problem is not theirs.
Like Garvin, I am on Optus cable in Brisbane. I have no problems at all.

I don't know whether being north or south of the river would make any difference

Basil
24-06-2008, 08:04 PM
This thread has now officially appeared on the HADBBA judge's radar. Quite incredible.

eclectic
24-06-2008, 08:10 PM
This thread has now officially appeared on the HADBBA judge's radar. Quite incredible.

i might use that fact to try and reprise next may my (joint) victory in that "don't ask for expert advice from these persons"* category hadbba :rolleyes:

*my paraphrase

Ian Murray
24-06-2008, 08:50 PM
And rightly so - this is a very serious matter

It is neither right nor fair (no racial analogy intended or implied) that Garvo is spared exposure to the FIDE site, while the rest of us have no such protection

Paul
25-06-2008, 03:56 PM
This may sound odd - try another computer if that fails try another loccation a friend or internet cafe.

The website works fine less then 1 second after clicking your link.

You may have accidently blocked yourself with your antivirus or firewall or the opposit you may be infected with malware.

I guaranty you they did not lock you out deliberatly :)

Spiny Norman
25-06-2008, 04:20 PM
Popup blocker in your browser setup? To check, you can usually hold down CTRL when you click to submit your login details in order to bypass the blocker.

Spiny Norman
25-06-2008, 04:22 PM
As an alternative theory (not having read this whole thread), it could be a cookie blocking issue ... I have seen this with other sites where logins are required.

If you've considered popup blockers and cookie blockers, I apologise for covering old ground!

Spiny Norman
25-06-2008, 04:25 PM
Another theory ... I am digging deep into my storehouse of suspicion and conspiracy theories:

-- have you checked whether your ISP runs a transparent proxy (i.e. one between you and the outside world)?

If there is one, perhaps its got its knickers in a knot over FIDE and needs a gentle shove to start working properly again.

Ninja
26-06-2008, 04:01 PM
I have the exact same problem with Optus cable in Melbourne. Fide home page timesout however any "sub" page can be accessed by going direct.
Simple answer is to "google" whatever you want and go direct to that page, bypassing the Fide home page.
Using the same computer on my work connection the page works OK however is one of the slowest pages to load. (We have a 30MB fibre connection which normally results in almost instant page views.) Would suggest that it is a combination of a problem with the page and Optus cable's proxy server.

Denis_Jessop
27-06-2008, 05:49 PM
I have the exact same problem with Optus cable in Melbourne. Fide home page timesout however any "sub" page can be accessed by going direct.
Simple answer is to "google" whatever you want and go direct to that page, bypassing the Fide home page.
Using the same computer on my work connection the page works OK however is one of the slowest pages to load. (We have a 30MB fibre connection which normally results in almost instant page views.) Would suggest that it is a combination of a problem with the page and Optus cable's proxy server.

Using quite different equipment (computer, ISP, broadband etc) I have noticed that the FIDE homepage is much slower to load now that it has been re-written and is operated from Turkey.

But I would doubt that that has anything to do with the inability to access the site as I can do that without any problem using a variety of Browsers and both Mac OSX10.5 and Windows XP and Vista. I can even get the FIDE website using a browser called Browser (!) 0.7 - a Mac application in half-finished state (and no longer being developed) made in a combination of English and German by Michael Gobel (a German) of MOApp, who designs a variety of small apps for the Mac.

DJ

Garvinator
28-06-2008, 05:03 PM
Time for another update.

Have rang optus technical support and after a frustrating time doing troubleshooting stuff again that I had already done, have been told to email Optus technical support further up the chain and report what has happened so far and the history.

Email has been sent and now awaiting reply.

Ninja, thank you for reporting in that you are having the same issues I am as this helps with pinpointing that the problem is not from my end.

I think it would be of assistance if you reported to Optus that you are having the same problem from Melbourne so this issue can be narrowed down.

Garvinator
30-06-2008, 11:19 AM
After a few emails and phone conversations with Optus Cable, they said that in their opinion the problem lies at fide's end after looking at trace route information.

While I am not convinced of this, I emailed webmaster@fide.com (Optus gave this to me as the webmaster's email address) on 28/6/08 explaining the issues and also that I am not the only one having the problem.

So far, no reply. Can someone confirm that I have sent the email to the right address?

Brian_Jones
30-06-2008, 11:57 AM
After a few emails and phone conversations with Optus Cable, they said that in their opinion the problem lies at fide's end after looking at trace route information.

They would say that wouldn't they! You just can't get good support staff these days! :)

Contacting FIDE is a complete waste of time! :eek:

Denis_Jessop
30-06-2008, 05:07 PM

While I am not convinced of this, I emailed webmaster@fide.com (Optus gave this to me as the webmaster's email address) on 28/6/08 explaining the issues and also that I am not the only one having the problem.

So far, no reply. Can someone confirm that I have sent the email to the right address?

Garvin: the address for the Webmaster is right as it is at the foot of the web pages on the FIDE site which you can't get to. The web site is also "Powered by the Turkish Chess Federation".

I'd be amazed if there is anything wrong with the FIDE site as I can get to it with several browsers including Firefox 2.0.0.12 and Firefox 3.0 Beta both on the Mac and have done so many times since this thread started with no sign of a problem.

I agree with Brian ;)

DJ

Garvinator
30-06-2008, 05:37 PM
Garvin: the address for the Webmaster is right as it is at the foot of the web pages on the FIDE site which you can't get to. The web site is also "Powered by the Turkish Chess Federation".

I'd be amazed if there is anything wrong with the FIDE site as I can get to it with several browsers including Firefox 2.0.0.12 and Firefox 3.0 Beta both on the Mac and have done so many times since this thread started with no sign of a problem.

I am about as sure as I can be that the problem lies with Optus, but Ian Murray has said that he uses Optus Cable and can access the site just fine.

I mainly use a laptop and was able to access the fide homepage when I was on a wireless connection last Sunday at interclub. So it ain't my laptop. I have done 'all' the simple troubleshooting stuff ie cleared cache, turned off firewalls, tested on another computer using Optus Cable (had no luck there either). I even had a try on ie7 :eek:

I am getting to the point where I think my only solution is to change isp's :eek: unless the Turkish webmaster replies soon. I will re-send the email tomorrow our time if there is no response by then.

I have a strong suspicion that to fix the issue I am bringing up with them will actually take them some time to fix, so they just can not be bothered. I wonder if Ninja has reported his problem, which is exactly the same as mine, to Optus as well.

I agree with Brian ;) Miracles do occur ;)

Desmond
01-07-2008, 09:18 AM
I still think it's a firewall problem, did you determine if your computer has more software firewalls or if your modem has one built in?

Otherwise you should ensure that your machine is clean.
link (http://www.geekstogo.com/forum/Must-Read-Before-Posting-Hijackthis-Log-t2852.html)

Basil
01-07-2008, 12:02 PM
I still think it's a firewall problem ...
Keep the home-fides burning?

Nicholas D-C
13-06-2009, 09:09 AM
FIDE stuffs up again...

Denis_Jessop
14-06-2009, 01:52 PM
FIDE stuffs up again...

Are you OK now? I just logged on without any problem.

DJ

ER
15-06-2009, 03:14 AM
FIDE stuffs up again...
lol maybe they 've put you in detention Nicholas! :P

Igor_Goldenberg
16-06-2009, 09:32 AM
It was mentioned that the problem might be in DNS.
It's much better then having a problem in DNA.