PDA

View Full Version : 1999 Sunshine Australian Open Crosstable

kinderchocolate
06-06-2008, 02:22 PM
Hi,

The best Australian Chess Championship I have ever been to was the 1999 Australian Open. I remember there was a guy from Mongolia who barely had money to pay for his expenses. Milov asked me to play Chinese Chess with me which he had problems in recognizing the pieces. It was the first time I realized that professional grandmasters other than the top 10 were very poor, as Milov had to eat plain bread with no buffer for his dinners.

Does anyone still have the crosstable for that event?

Basil
06-06-2008, 05:21 PM
Mods may wish to move this to Aus Chess History.[done - mod] And indeed moving the thread there may even assist Kinder to find assistance.

Hi Kinder, I don't have the cross table, but the cross tables would certainly exist in any number of Australian chess publications from that time. They were a wealth of information for me when I sat down a few months ago to reconstruct dome Brisbane Chess Club history.

Denis_Jessop
06-06-2008, 08:22 PM
Mods may wish to move this to Aus Chess History.[done - mod] And indeed moving the thread there may even assist Kinder to find assistance.

Hi Kinder, I don't have the cross table, but the cross tables would certainly exist in any number of Australian chess publications from that time. They were a wealth of information for me when I sat down a few months ago to reconstruct dome Brisbane Chess Club history.

Usually I'd refer you to Ozbase, the ACF Archive of Australian chess tournaments and games maintained by Paul Dunn. But the download of the 1999 Australian Open doesn't seem to be working. I've e-mailed Paul to see what the problem is. If you have the games ChessBase will make up a crosstable if Paul hasn't already done so. But so far we don't have the games.

DJ

eclectic
06-06-2008, 08:29 PM
i can download and open it

it contains 425 games which i suspect is not the full monty

Metro
09-06-2008, 06:34 PM
Hi,

I remember there was a guy from Mongolia who barely had money to pay for his expenses. Milov asked me to play Chinese Chess with me which he had problems in recognizing the pieces. It was the first time I realized that professional grandmasters other than the top 10 were very poor, as Milov had to eat plain bread with no buffer for his dinners.

Time for a FIDE GM support fund.