PDA

View Full Version : A nice endgame puzzle

Shark93
10-05-2008, 12:29 PM
Hi, I was reading Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual (regarded by many GM's as one of the best endgame books ever printed) and I came across this endgame posistion. White to play and draw, its a nice line :P. See if any of you can solve it and I'll post the answer tommorow.

8/1pPK3b/8/8/8/5k2/8/8 w KQkq - 0 1

Spiny Norman
10-05-2008, 01:29 PM
I've seen this one before, so knew immediately what to do ... yes, its a nice little study!

Phil Bourke
10-05-2008, 04:56 PM
It is nice. I have seen it before but still took me a while to work it out. In return for your kindness, here is one for you to enjoy :)
3k1r2/3p4/4P1P1/3PK3/8/8/8/8 w - - 0 1
White to move and win.
This one comes from GM Petr Kiriakov and at the time (circa 2005), he described it as his favourite study.
I will post the solution on Monday.

Igor_Goldenberg
10-05-2008, 07:53 PM
Hi, I was reading Dvoretsky's Endgame Manual (regarded by many GM's as one of the best endgame books ever printed) and I came across this endgame posistion. White to play and draw, its a nice line :P. See if any of you can solve it and I'll post the answer tommorow.

I agree with your appraisal of the book (also started it recently, but go very slow as almost every example is very challenging). Some of the puzzles are real brain twisters!

Shark93
10-05-2008, 09:32 PM
I agree with your appraisal of the book (also started it recently, but go very slow as almost every example is very challenging). Some of the puzzles are real brain twisters!

Yeah, I always thought the endgame was boring until I started reading his book, the examples are always interesting :), and he explains things very well.

Phil Bourke
14-05-2008, 09:10 PM
Event: ?
Site: ?
Date: ????.??.??
Round: ?
White: White to move
Black: Solution
Result: 1-0
SetUp: 1
PlyCount: 25

1. e7+ Kxe7 2. d6+ Ke8 3. g7 Rg8 4. Kf6 Rf8+ 5. Kg5 Rf5+ 6. Kxf5 Kf7 7. g8=R
Kxg8 8. Kg6 Kf8 9. Kf6 Ke8 10. Kg7 Kd8 11. Kf7 Kc8 12. Ke7 Kb7 13. Kxd7 1-0

Sorry, but this is the best result I could get. Hopefully some nice moderator will fix it up and tell me how I should have done it in the first place :)

Kevin Bonham
14-05-2008, 10:26 PM
Sorry, but this is the best result I could get. Hopefully some nice moderator will fix it up and tell me how I should have done it in the first place :)

To do PGN starting from a given position, construct the FEN string for that position (as you did) then put

[PGN=(your FEN string goes here)]

then the moves

then close the PGN as normal.

(If you're quick about it, you can click edit on your post and check how I have done it.)

PS Nice puzzle.

Phil Bourke
14-05-2008, 11:26 PM
To do PGN starting from a given position, construct the FEN string for that position (as you did) then put

[PGN=(your FEN string goes here)]

then the moves

then close the PGN as normal.

(If you're quick about it, you can click edit on your post and check how I have done it.)

PS Nice puzzle.
Thanks Kevin,
Knew there would be an answer, but I should have thought inside the square [] not outside the square :)