PDA

View Full Version : Comment on my Veresov attack opening!

markus
13-04-2008, 10:48 AM
Please comment on this opening, thank you!

Event: Training Game
Site: Karlsruhe, Deutschland
Date: 2008.04.13
Round: 2
White: Markus Goth
Black: Werner Muller
Result: *
ECO: D00
Opening: Queen's Pawn
Time: 05:17:22
Variation: Veresov Attack
Termination: unterminated
PlyCount: 15
WhiteType: human
BlackType: human

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e3 Nc6 4.Nf3 Bg4 5.h3 Bxf3 6.Qxf3 e6
7.Bd2 a6 8.Bd3*

Capablanca-Fan
13-04-2008, 11:01 AM
Event: Training Game
Site: Karlsruhe, Deutschland
Date: 2008.04.13
Round: 2
White: Markus Goth
Black: Werner Muller
Result: *
ECO: D00
Opening: Queen's Pawn
Time: 05:17:22
Variation: Veresov Attack
Termination: unterminated
PlyCount: 15
WhiteType: human
BlackType: human

1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e3 (3.Bg5 is the Veresov, fighting for e4. The move played is too passive; here, White needs to have his c-pawn unblocked to fight for the centre with c4, or defend it with c3) 3... Nc6 (same here; in Q-side openings it's usually not a good idea to block the c-pawn) 4.Nf3 Bg4 5.h3 Bxf3 (best not to exchange B for N without a good reason) 6.Qxf3 e6 (6... e5 would make some sense of the exchange, although White can respond 7. Bb5) 7.Bd2 (routine developing moves will just land a player in a worse position without a fight. This move makes sense if Black played Bb4, but here white could try 7.Bb5 then e4, to make a fight of it in the centre) 7... a6 8.Bd3*

Garrett
13-04-2008, 11:35 AM
You are obviously past the absolute beginner stage and have learnt some solid concepts like making only a few pawn moves and developing each piece.

Jono's comments are very good and hopefully will help you take your game to the next level.

Best of luck with your future chess games !

cheers
Garrett.

markus
13-04-2008, 03:40 PM
1.d4 Nf6 2.Nc3 d5 3.e3 (3.Bg5 is the Veresov, fighting for e4. The move played is too passive; here, White needs to have his c-pawn unblocked to fight for the centre with c4, or defend it with c3) 3... Nc6 (same here; in Q-side openings it's usually not a good idea to block the c-pawn) 4.Nf3 Bg4 5.h3 Bxf3 (best not to exchange B for N without a good reason) 6.Qxf3 e6 (6... e5 would make some sense of the exchange, although White can respond 7. Bb5) 7.Bd2 (routine developing moves will just land a player in a worse position without a fight. This move makes sense if Black played Bb4, but here white could try 7.Bb5 then e4, to make a fight of it in the centre) 7... a6 8.Bd3*

Thank you for informative comments.

In this game, Werner (strong amateur/trainer circa 2200s) and I (weak amateur circa 1500s+) tried experimenting defensive openings with Veresov variation (With the sole exception of 5 ... Bxf3, which was seems disadvantageous.)

The first three moves of both sides were deliberately chosen.

We stopped at 8. Bd3 e5, and I tried analysis using fritz.

My 8. Bd3 seems to be a weak move (White -0.11), where Werner correctly initiated fighting by advancing e5. (Black +0.04) (After all, it is unusual for both sides seeing advantages but not taking much action)

Instead, fritz suggested 8. O-O-O Bd6, (White +0.19) as expected. Usually castling early is an advantage.

For 7. ... a6, I think this move worth comments from forumers. (Black -0.11, which seems to be quite good for opening), but fritz suggests ... Bb4, even though ... a6 is surely a wise response nonetheless.

My 7. Bd2, (white +0.11) (Jono commented: routine developing moves will just land a player in a worse position without a fight. This move makes sense if Black played Bb4, but here white could try 7.Bb5 then e4, to make a fight of it in the centre.)

Good comment, Jono. However, I think in this position it is too hasty to initiate Bb5 (white +0.03). Werner commented he expected average players would play 7. Bb5, then he can respond with black Bb4, white has to defend with Bd2, then black O-O white O-O black a6!, the best option for white then will be exchanging B for N, as the centre pieces have not been developed for attack in both sides. Ultimately, black gains material. Bb5 then e4 does not seem feasible with Bb4 threat from black. Please comment on my above argument.

6. ... e6 (Black -0.11), I am quite certain Werner's motive for this move was to delay attack, possibly giving chance for him seizing his opponent's mistakes easier. Very defensive move, yet nowhere near devastating. For reference, ... e5 (Black +0.11)

6. Qf3 (White -0.11) A very mild blunder. I should have made the easier response gxf3. (White -0.02).

markus
13-04-2008, 03:44 PM
You are obviously past the absolute beginner stage and have learnt some solid concepts like making only a few pawn moves and developing each piece.

Jono's comments are very good and hopefully will help you take your game to the next level.

Best of luck with your future chess games !

cheers
Garrett.

Thank you for your support.

Even though I have not taken part in any tournaments since 2007, I am surely enthusiastic in improving my chess strength.

Thank you for Jono's kind comments.

Markus.