PDA

View Full Version : Not wearing footwear at chess

CameronD
05-04-2008, 07:14 PM
Better worded poll about wheather pplayers think playing chess without footwear is acceptable. This does not touch on wheather organizer have the right to restrict, just your opinion wheather it is acceptable.

Basil
05-04-2008, 07:20 PM
When I first saw Garv's poll, I too thought the double negative required to state the affirmative was clumsy. I note that KB also cited this.

Cam I'm going to refrain from voting ATM, on account of Garrett's 'exception' ideas.

I'd like a third poll :wall: Let's settle on the wording of a meaningful poll first?

Rincewind
05-04-2008, 07:54 PM
"Can wear no footwear" just doesn't make sense to me. I think you mean "Need not wear footwear."

A simpler wording would be...

Should footwear be mandatory at all regular* chess competitions?

Yes - footwear should be mandatory
No - footwear should be optional

* by regular I mean to exclude unusual and very casual events such as those held out of doors. E.g. Australia Day exhibition on Cronulla Beach.

Kevin Bonham
05-04-2008, 08:12 PM
When I first saw Garv's poll, I too thought the double negative required to state the affirmative was clumsy. I note that KB also cited this.

This poll is also couched in the negative so has much the same problem. It does, however, ask a slightly different question.

Aaron Guthrie
05-04-2008, 10:14 PM
"Can wear no footwear" just doesn't make sense to me. I think you mean "Need not wear footwear."Right after I put my shoes on I put my not-shoes on over the top of them.

Axiom
05-04-2008, 10:18 PM
Right after I put my shoes on I put my not-shoes on over the top of them.
is that the invisible cloak ? ;)

MichaelBaron
05-04-2008, 10:21 PM
It should be mandatory to wear shoes, as well as to dress neat casual as well as to take a shower before coming to a chess club.

Would anyone come to a concert-hall without shoes? So why to chess club?

Kevin Bonham
05-04-2008, 10:29 PM
Would anyone come to a concert-hall without shoes? So why to chess club?

Depends what kind of "concert".

I don't think entertainment is a good comparison. Classical gigs may have certain requirements but rock gigs generally have hardly any limits at all.

as well as to take a shower before coming to a chess club.

How long before? Is sometime on the day sufficient or are you hoping for more than that?

Rincewind
05-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Right after I put my shoes on I put my not-shoes on over the top of them.

Old joke:

Jean-Paul Sartre is sitting at a French cafe, revising his draft of Being and Nothingness. He says to the waitress, 'I'd like a cup of coffee, please, with no cream.' The waitress replies, 'I'm sorry, monsieur, but we're out of cream. How about with no milk?

Kevin Bonham
05-04-2008, 11:23 PM
Cam I'm going to refrain from voting ATM, on account of Garrett's 'exception' ideas.

And I've voted "yes", partly for the same reason and partly out of sheer moral subjectivism. When this poll closes I will post the final result and then merge the thread with the other one on the same subject.

Intuition
08-04-2008, 03:31 PM
chess players are bogan enough as it is...can you imagine taking away footwearas well?? :wall:

bobby1972
15-04-2008, 10:23 AM
hey michael what happened to freedom baby.

countadam
15-04-2008, 06:41 PM
Hi,
I am new to the chess club and tournament scene. Is this a widespread problem? I seldom see anyone outside of their homes without shoes. Do they congregate in chess circles? :)

Paul.

Rincewind
15-04-2008, 06:58 PM
I am new to the chess club and tournament scene. Is this a widespread problem? I seldom see anyone outside of their homes without shoes. Do they congregate in chess circles? :)

And universities.

Kaitlin
15-04-2008, 08:18 PM
I suggest we postpone this thread untill next spring... :)

Desmond
15-04-2008, 08:26 PM
Hi,

Paul.
You're not from Queensland, are you.

Kaitlin
15-04-2008, 09:27 PM
Students, Chess Players.....
and people from Queensland - :( cant afford footware

..I might invent a sock with a print of 'laces' on it - then we could all just wear our socks at tourneys

~insert ponder smiley here~ - hmm.... but then that mean signs saying "no skating on the floor boards" and " no smelly socks " <- bare feet would definately be better than smelly socks - Im not changeing my vote

anywho.. bare feet and socks would be much more quite than squeeky shoes or high heels

Desmond
15-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Students, Chess Players.....
and people from Queensland - :( cant afford footware

..I might invent a sock with a print of 'laces' on it - then we could all just wear our socks at tourneysI'm afraid that someone has beated you to it. My daughter has a pair. She's 9 months old, and I'm not expecting it to catch on in adults' fashion any time soon.

~insert ponder smiley here~ - hmm.... but then that mean signs saying "no skating on the floor boards" and " no smelly socks " <- bare feet would definately be better than smelly socks - Im not changeing my voteI think the smells usually orginate from the feet, not the socks. :hmm:

anywho.. bare feet and socks would be much more quite than squeeky shoes or high heelsIt might make the tournament hall quieter if we took a baseball bat to each entrants' windpipe on the way through the door, but I wouldn't be advocating that either.

Axiom
15-04-2008, 10:40 PM
When you're informed , you'll know about nanotech socks containing silver to stop foot odour.
But you have to look outside the common information paradigm, you might even suffer labels such as "anti-intellectual" or "conspiracy theorist" or "kook" etc
but its a small price to pay when you value real knowledge and information above being a politically correct blind conformist.

littlesprout85
15-04-2008, 10:50 PM
Imagine the possibilities for a sec :eek:

According to freaky facts from Alice Cooper- the wisest ppl on earth have higher levels of zinc and copper in their dandruff- :doh:

-Sprout :)

Rincewind
15-04-2008, 10:58 PM
high heels

High heels?!?!?

We obviously move in different chess circles. :)

Axiom
15-04-2008, 11:08 PM
Imagine the possibilities for a sec :eek:

According to freaky facts from Alice Cooper- the wisest ppl on earth have higher levels of zinc and copper in their dandruff- :doh:

-Sprout :)
I wondered what all those shiny bits on my shoulders were.

WCL-Skwerly
16-04-2008, 06:23 AM
I for one think footwear SHOULD be mandatory - at least of SOME type. It is one thing to get 4 hours into a competitive game and "kick your shoes off" under the table for a bit just to get more comfortable I guess, but completely another to show up barefoot - that's just odd!

countadam
16-04-2008, 08:37 AM
You're not from Queensland, are you.

No, but if the crappy Sydney weather continues it could be time for a chess tour of Queensland, sans shoes! :rolleyes:

Paul

Rincewind
16-04-2008, 05:09 PM
sans shoes!

I often wear sans shoes - Dunlop Volleys to be precise. That should be ok.

Basil
16-04-2008, 05:10 PM
I let the Dilly Boy thing go yesterday, but isn't there a rule against this. I mean these puns a criminal ;)