PDA

View Full Version : Flash Gurus ?

Basil
29-03-2008, 10:46 PM
Are there any Flash gurus out there with whom I might be able to discuss page-turning technology for the web? these things (http://www.google.com/search?q=page+flip).

Basil
03-04-2008, 12:04 AM
Well finding a flash guru turned out to be harder than a membership drive at The Toolbox. So I've decided to do it myself. BTW anyone looking for well-paid career and a flair for the creative should get themselves boned-up in Flash, pronto. Rare as hen's teeth. By all accounts, just a coupla days at TAFE or a dedicated institute and yer done (plus no doubt a little bit professional development along the way).

AlexRules, are you reading this?

ElevatorEscapee
03-04-2008, 09:24 PM
There was a "Guru" here at one stage, I am not sure that he was all that flash though... :D

Desmond
03-04-2008, 10:15 PM

Basil
04-04-2008, 02:52 AM
Good one Brian.

OK guinea pigs friends. Road testing please. Does this flip book (http://www.scenemagazine.com.au/pdf/sample02_XGBook2.swf) open on your browser/ machine combo. Feedback please. And hurry up!

Please note there is magnify function in the index (top of page). Users can drag page and the 1:1 ratio magnifying glass returns the user to full screen.

The watermark is because the software is trial only. If it passes trial, I'll shell out for the real thing.

Now hurry up and give me some feedback please.

Garvinator
04-04-2008, 02:58 AM
Good one Brian.

OK guinea pigs friends. Road testing please. Does this flip book (http://www.scenemagazine.com.au/pdf/sample02_XGBook2.swf) open on your browser/ machine combo. Feedback please. And hurry up!

Please note there is magnify function in the index (top of page). Users can drag page and the 1:1 ratio magnifying glass returns the user to full screen.

The watermark is because the software is trial only. If it passes trial, I'll shell out for the real thing.

Now hurry up and give me some feedback please.

Yes it does open and looks fine.

ElevatorEscapee
04-04-2008, 07:05 AM
Seems to work fine for me too. It looks good, the only comment I would make is that I would prefer the control bar separate, or with a different colour background (ie so it doesn't get overwhelmed by the magazine when it is magnified).

Zwischenzug
04-04-2008, 09:16 AM
Seems to work fine. Took a few seconds to realize that I can't turn the page by clicking on the the magazine itself. My only comment is the back and forward buttons can be bigger.

Basil
04-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Seems to work fine. Took a few seconds to realize that I can't turn the page by clicking on the the magazine itself. My only comment is the back and forward buttons can be bigger.
Thanks for the feedback. It is possible to turn the pages by double clicking on the bottom right.

Basil
04-04-2008, 07:17 PM
New url:

http://www.scenemagazine.com.au/read/

Watermark gone. We are live. Thunderbirds are go!

Note to flash peepz who charge too much and get have a look for a month - I'll do it myself! :owned:

Thanks to GG and Zw who gave feedback. Anyone else's is still very welcome while optimise file sizes and so forth.

Aaron Guthrie
04-04-2008, 08:08 PM
Thanks to GG and Zw who gave feedback. Anyone else's is still very welcome while optimise file sizes and so forth.I suggest changing the header (is that what it is called?) from "Untitled Document".

Basil
04-04-2008, 08:50 PM
I suggest changing the header (is that what it is called?) from "Untitled Document".
Good work! Give that man a job! :clap: :clap:

Paying $50 HCDs right there, folks!

Thanks Aaron

Basil
09-04-2008, 02:10 AM
Sorry. Nearly finished pestering you good folk. The second issue is now uploaded.

Reason for posting is that of those of you who trialled the first (whether you gave feedback or not), I'd greatly appreciate your going back and reporting any observations such as
- increase in speed (we've reduced the file sizes a tad)
- decrease in quality that concerns you (we've reduced the file sizes a tad :eek:)
- other.

I find this stuff helpful (especially from PC users - I don't have access to any :wall:)

http://www.scenemagazine.com.au/read/

Many thanks
Howard

Ian Murray
09-04-2008, 06:20 PM
Hi Howard

Technically it's great, but from a general user viewpoint I'd bale out before looking too far into it.

The full screen view typesize is too small to read, and having to zoom in then grab-and-drag to read it in bits and pieces irritates the hell out of me.

Forgive the devil's advocacy

Ian

Basil
09-04-2008, 06:53 PM
Hi Howard

Technically it's great, but from a general user viewpoint I'd bale out before looking too far into it.

The full screen view typesize is too small to read, and having to zoom in then grab-and-drag to read it in bits and pieces irritates the hell out of me.

Forgive the devil's advocacy

Ian
Thanks Ian. That's what I received from anyone over the age of 30. I wouldn't give it five seconds either. Very few publications (A4 and above) can survive the 'problem' you have noted.

But apparently that's what people are doing these days. I would loved to have been in on the bigshot meeting when someone said "Hey, lets make a mobile phone's screen be able to view the internet (a word at a time?) :doh:

But apparently that's taken off too! Go figure.

Anyway, great feedback. Thanks for taking the time.

Basil
11-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Last call for any PC issues.

If you have an older crappier computer, feedback is extra helpful. PM OK.

Thanks
Howard

ElevatorEscapee
15-04-2008, 08:17 PM
Ack!!! Now it goes "bingly bongly beep!" when I mouse over the thingamies in the toolbar... and it also sounds like a bug being squashed when a page is turned. :eek:

To me the sound effects are not only unnecessary, but actually detract from the experience. (It also means I would not consider this a "safe for work" link, as the sound effects would let people know I was doing something out of the usual.)

Desmond
15-04-2008, 08:23 PM
Thanks Ian. That's what I received from anyone over the age of 30. I wouldn't give it five seconds either. Very few publications (A4 and above) can survive the 'problem' you have noted.

But apparently that's what people are doing these days. I would loved to have been in on the bigshot meeting when someone said "Hey, lets make a mobile phone's screen be able to view the internet (a word at a time?) :doh:

But apparently that's taken off too! Go figure.

Anyway, great feedback. Thanks for taking the time.Yeah I have a mate who has one of those fandabulous palm-pilot thingos that can display a pdf file on a screen not much bigger than the size of a stamp. Not idea how he reads it; he must have better eyesight than I.

Basil
15-04-2008, 09:21 PM
Ack!!! Now it goes "bingly bongly beep!"
Thanks EE. Ah yes, the machine that goes 'ping!'. The 'now' is probably because you had yor computer's sound turned down before ;).

There is a mute button on the control panel (third from right). Thanks for the feedback and the trouble of doing so.