PDA

View Full Version : Strong sydneysiders who disappeared from chess radar

Leonid Sandler
27-03-2008, 07:11 PM
Any ideas whats happened with very strong players from Sydney Belin,Gedevani,Levin...

peter_parr
07-04-2008, 12:48 PM
Any ideas whats happened with very strong players from Sydney Belin,Gedevani,Levin...

75 year old Naum Levin (Senior Soviet Master & Trainer, 2420) is no longer a “gladiator”. He still studies all the games of the top players – from Chess Informants/NIC magazine etc and remains very strong.

Dmitri Gedevani has 4 IM norms and could apply for the IM title. He still visits Souths Juniors (not a chess club) but has not been seen at a chess event for some years.

Igor Belin (ex NSW Champion) – another very strong player has not been seen for about 4 years.

Leonid Sandler
07-04-2008, 07:50 PM
Thank you ,Peter
May be ACF should submit IM application of Gedevani and he will return to chess scene in NSW.You guys desperately need more titled players.If you will see Senior master Naum Levin please say hello from me

Denis_Jessop
08-04-2008, 12:12 PM
Thank you ,Peter
May be ACF should submit IM application of Gedevani and he will return to chess scene in NSW.You guys desperately need more titled players.If you will see Senior master Naum Levin please say hello from me

Gedevani's rating is only 2380 whereas it needs to be 2400 for him to get the title unconditionally so if he really wants it he will have to return to FIDE-rated tournaments and get some more points:

3200078 Gedevanishvili, Dmitry f AUS 2380 0 1952

arosar
08-04-2008, 01:00 PM
I also remember some bloke named Ry Curtis.

AR

peter_parr
08-04-2008, 02:33 PM
Gedevani's rating is only 2380 whereas it needs to be 2400 for him to get the title unconditionally so if he really wants it he will have to return to FIDE-rated tournaments and get some more points:

On the July 1990 FIDE rating list after his 3rd IM norm Gedevani's rating was 2405.

Intuition
08-04-2008, 03:26 PM
On the July 1990 FIDE rating list after his 3rd IM norm Gedevani's rating was 2405.

:)

Igor_Goldenberg
08-04-2008, 04:15 PM

At that time it was worth more then now!

Garrett
09-04-2008, 06:12 AM
At that time it was worth more then now!

Interesting comment Igor. I played a lot of chess from 1982 to 1991 then had a break until 2004. I often wonder about the difference in strengths of identical ratings.

How much more do you think the rating is worth now ?

(sorry if there is already a thread on this topic).

Cheers
Garrett.

Denis_Jessop
09-04-2008, 11:19 AM

Thanks, Peter - that means he could have the title now if he wants it or I suppose that's right unless FIDE were to rule otherwise.

DJ

CameronD
09-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Interesting comment Igor. I played a lot of chess from 1982 to 1991 then had a break until 2004. I often wonder about the difference in strengths of identical ratings.

How much more do you think the rating is worth now ?

(sorry if there is already a thread on this topic).

Cheers
Garrett.

Cant find the thread, but FIDE ratings have been inflating badly for the last 20 years

http://members.shaw.ca/redwards1/

Kevin Bonham
09-04-2008, 01:55 PM
Some of the previous debate re FIDE inflation is over here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=184892&highlight=inflation#post184892)

Axiom
09-04-2008, 11:20 PM
Fide should release annual rating inflation rates

Garrett
10-04-2008, 06:53 AM
Some of the previous debate re FIDE inflation is over here (http://chesschat.org/showthread.php?p=184892&highlight=inflation#post184892)

Thanks Kevin.

peter_parr
10-04-2008, 12:38 PM
Thanks, Peter - that means he could have the title now if he wants it or I suppose that's right unless FIDE were to rule otherwise.

DJ

FIDE did rule otherwise.

Denis you will note from ACF records that the ACF made an application to FIDE for the IM title for Gedevani 18 years ago.

All 3 norms were valid - Gedevani was a full point ahead of the IM norm in 2 of the events(!) and his rating above 2400.

He now has 4 IM norms but sadly no title.

He could apply again as stated by me in post 2.

Rhubarb
11-04-2008, 11:21 PM
I spoke to Peter today to try to extract more information concerning the case of Dmitry Gedevani (formerly Gedevanishvili).

Gedevani's three IM norms in the original application were in 1981, 1988 and 1989. (He made a fourth norm in the mid-nineties. Does anyone know when? It would have been one of the Mercantile Mutual Masters organised by Ian & Cathy Rogers.)

The application was rejected by FIDE because norms were only valid for five years (this became six years at some point in the mid-nineties; they are now valid for life). This doesn't mean the application wasn't worthwhile - many applications of lesser merit were successful at the time, and Gede had had few if any other IM norm opportunities throughout the eighties.

The situation is much better these days, in that the qualification standards are slightly lower but are rigorously defined and are more strictly enforced, so there is less room for individuals in FIDE to make whimsical decisions.

Gede hasn't been seen in any chess-connected sense for many years. If he contacted the ACF, I suppose we could try making another application, with the fourth norm as extra evidence. I haven't seen any of the four norms, so I can only assume the only technical problem was the use-by dates.

I have no idea whether or not such an application would be successful, but I do know that if the Qualification Commission wanted to they could reject it out of hand (the original decision was technically correct), especially since all old norms had to be registered with FIDE by July 2005 if they were to be used in any subsequent title application.

Duff McKagan
12-04-2008, 04:43 PM

I think one of these three might play on ICC with the handle Prostokvasha. Perhaps Vlad (drug) could confirm this?

Vlad
12-04-2008, 11:43 PM
I think one of these three might play on ICC with the handle Prostokvasha. Perhaps Vlad (drug) could confirm this?

Nope. He is a former Australian champion by correspondence Dmitry Silver.:)

Duff McKagan
13-04-2008, 10:06 AM
Oh ok, good to know. He was claiming to be some sort of master from the eastern suburbs of Sydney.

Oepty
19-04-2008, 05:44 PM
I spoke to Peter today to try to extract more information concerning the case of Dmitry Gedevani (formerly Gedevanishvili).

Gedevani's three IM norms in the original application were in 1981, 1988 and 1989. (He made a fourth norm in the mid-nineties. Does anyone know when? It would have been one of the Mercantile Mutual Masters organised by Ian & Cathy Rogers.)

The application was rejected by FIDE because norms were only valid for five years (this became six years at some point in the mid-nineties; they are now valid for life). This doesn't mean the application wasn't worthwhile - many applications of lesser merit were successful at the time, and Gede had had few if any other IM norm opportunities throughout the eighties.

The situation is much better these days, in that the qualification standards are slightly lower but are rigorously defined and are more strictly enforced, so there is less room for individuals in FIDE to make whimsical decisions.

Gede hasn't been seen in any chess-connected sense for many years. If he contacted the ACF, I suppose we could try making another application, with the fourth norm as extra evidence. I haven't seen any of the four norms, so I can only assume the only technical problem was the use-by dates.

I have no idea whether or not such an application would be successful, but I do know that if the Qualification Commission wanted to they could reject it out of hand (the original decision was technically correct), especially since all old norms had to be registered with FIDE by July 2005 if they were to be used in any subsequent title application.

Greg, off topic, but has Trevor Tao's norms been registered with FIDE? This section of the FIDE website appears not be working.
Scott

Rhubarb
27-04-2008, 06:51 PM
Greg, off topic, but has Trevor Tao's norms been registered with FIDE?Not that I know of, but I have Trevor's two norm forms, thanks to an archive CD that Gary B sent me. If Trevor ever makes a third norm (although that won't be in an Australian Championship), we'll probably make an application, since the July 2005 deadline for old norms didn't exactly receive a diligent response from other federations around the world either.

Edit: By the way, any Australian with any recent IM norm is strongly recommended to send me a scan. Off the top of my head, they would be Igor Goldenberg (20-game norm?), Moulthun Ly (2x), Gareth Oliver (not sure about this one), and maybe Tim Reilly in NZ. Please let me know of any others.

Oepty
01-05-2008, 08:10 PM
Not that I know of, but I have Trevor's two norm forms, thanks to an archive CD that Gary B sent me. If Trevor ever makes a third norm (although that won't be in an Australian Championship), we'll probably make an application, since the July 2005 deadline for old norms didn't exactly receive a diligent response from other federations around the world either.

Edit: By the way, any Australian with any recent IM norm is strongly recommended to send me a scan. Off the top of my head, they would be Igor Goldenberg (20-game norm?), Moulthun Ly (2x), Gareth Oliver (not sure about this one), and maybe Tim Reilly in NZ. Please let me know of any others.

Thank you Greg.
Scott

ER
05-05-2008, 08:37 PM
I haven't received any news from Abraham Sztern, Marco Gill, Vas Vassilef, and Michael Basic recently... I have communicated with Xavier Gill though. Please let me know if you know anything about them or give them my regards!
Cheers and good luck!

Sutek
14-05-2008, 04:25 PM
I haven't received any news from Abraham Sztern, Marco Gill, Vas Vassilef, and Michael Basic recently... I have communicated with Xavier Gill though. Please let me know if you know anything about them or give them my regards!
Cheers and good luck!

Abraham was seen at Randwick races a few years ago but as far as I know has no interest in chess anymore.

Vas Vasilev I think is living in Spain driving a cab (just like he did in Sydney).
But Javier might know better.

arosar
14-05-2008, 05:32 PM
Sztern attended the recent Canterbury lightning event, just prior to Doeberl I think it was. I also spotted him at the SIO.

AR

ER
16-05-2008, 01:29 PM
Thank you all so very much for your response! I hope I will be able to meet them again at some stage!
Cheers and good luck!

Javier Gil
25-05-2008, 04:43 AM
Marco plays the occasional team event.
Vas Vasilev does live in Spain and still plays chess, but I can confirm that he has never driven a cab there! :)

ER
25-05-2008, 09:40 PM
Marco plays the occasional team event.
Vas Vasilev does live in Spain and still plays chess, but I can confirm that he has never driven a cab there! :)

Thanks Javier, are they both in Barcelona? I am asking because I am visiting Spain during 2009!
Cheers and good luck!

Javier Gil
27-05-2008, 10:31 AM
The both live in Zaragoza (1 hour trip on the new Spanish fast trains, 300 km an hour).

antichrist
05-07-2008, 06:46 PM
Thanks Javier, are they both in Barcelona? I am asking because I am visiting Spain during 2009!
Cheers and good luck!

You may come across Manuel and Basil there also -but don't mention ....

ER
05-07-2008, 10:24 PM
as long as Sybil is not there ok by me!
PS come back you cranky old geek we all miss ya!
Cheers and good luck!

antichrist
06-07-2008, 11:13 AM
as long as Sybil is not there ok by me!
PS come back you cranky old geek we all miss ya!
Cheers and good luck!

Sybil:
"You know what I will do to you Basil if I find out that you have been gambling!"

Basil:
"You will have to sew them back on first!"

ER
08-07-2008, 06:45 PM
Sybil:
"You know what I will do to you Basil if I find out that you have been gambling!"

Basil:
"You will have to sew them back on first!"

LOL classic!!!! :clap: