PDA

View Full Version : Making Websites!

Alexrules01
22-03-2008, 10:55 PM
Hello Everyone!
Recently have been taught how to make websites in my I.T class. And I learnt you can make a decent amount of cash!
I haven't made a website that has ben hosted yet, but I want to get in the website-designing profession, because I enjoyed it at school.

Just to let you know, I am 16. I know some people would refuse me making a website because of my younger age, so that's why I am saying it now!

SO it would be good if you sent your plan/idea to alexrulesa@hotmail.com because I will certaintly see the proposal.

And sorry, I am not doing it for free, I need to make some cash but we can talk about that later, I just wanted to get the ball rolling.

Basil
22-03-2008, 11:03 PM
Good post, Alex. I wish you well. Do you have any examples of your work? No doubt one day you'll be employing people 'n stuff :clap:

Axiom
22-03-2008, 11:31 PM
Hello Everyone!
Recently have been taught how to make websites in my I.T class. And I learnt you can make a decent amount of cash!
I haven't made a website that has ben hosted yet, but I want to get in the website-designing profession, because I enjoyed it at school.

Just to let you know, I am 16. I know some people would refuse me making a website because of my younger age, so that's why I am saying it now!

SO it would be good if you sent your plan/idea to alexrulesa@hotmail.com because I will certaintly see the proposal.

And sorry, I am not doing it for free, I need to make some cash but we can talk about that later, I just wanted to get the ball rolling.
I'm looking to set up an informative news site. I'll let you know when i'm ready to roll !

Alexrules01
22-03-2008, 11:36 PM
Good post, Alex. I wish you well. Do you have any examples of your work? No doubt one day you'll be employing people 'n stuff :clap:

Examples....I did, but deleted them. If you would like to see an example though, I could make one up, it wouldnt be a big, flashy site but you get the general idea. And also thx!

I'm looking to set up an informative news site. I'll let you know when i'm ready to roll !
OK, well when your ready please sned an e-mail detailing what you want and I'll see what I can do!

Basil
22-03-2008, 11:56 PM
OK, well when your ready please sned an e-mail detailing what you want and I'll see what I can do!
I'm not in the market for that just now. I'd like to suggest your next step is to build and keep a few templates (for your benefit, not mine).

Not only will it help you keep your skills up, you'll also gain more credibility.

Finally the pathway to 'sale' will happen much more quickly this way. It is quite OK (all good and normal) for sellers and buyers to rule each other out (or indeed 'in') quickly because of an (im)balance of quality and price. What is essential is that buyers know in advance the quality (or lack of it) they are dealing with. In short, 'expectations'.

Not everyone wants a BMW, and certainly not everyone can afford it. However if you're building bicycles (and good ones) and selling at bicycle prices, when the Chinese government comes looking, you'll do very well leaving the BMW manufacturers scratching their heads.

What does all this mean?
1. Build some templates (for potential customer view) - your brochure.
2. Know your place in the market. Be realistic. Ask opinions. (The market will let you know anyway)
3. Set your prices accordingly.
4. Don't overstretch (know what you can do).
5. Practice (like chess!)
6. Communicate (you already do this very well).

Good luck.

Alexrules01
23-03-2008, 12:03 AM
Thanks I'll keep that in mind.

I don't have any templates because all the practice we did at school and I had to delete them all for some space!
I will work on a template or 2 soon.

Now to think of what website to make....

Basil
23-03-2008, 12:07 AM
Now to think of what website to make....
OK, who will your target market be? Corporations? No. Most likely small business currently with no (or very basic) web presence. Build a dummy for a florist or a chess club! Just some ideas, but thinking along these lines should assist to develop your ideas (your business) in a linear fashion.

Alexrules01
23-03-2008, 12:20 AM
Well it doesnt have to be a business or organisation. I will make a website for anybody about anything, but I know the majority will be businesses, so I might make a fake business homepage!

MichaelBaron
23-03-2008, 08:30 AM
Hello Everyone!

1)So what are your website design skills? Flash? HTML?
2) What sort of transaction processing features are you adding to the sites?
3) What sort of back-end databases do your sites have?
4) How much do you charge?
5) Have you got a portfolio?
6) Do you offer Website Hosting and Management services as part of your deals?

Davidflude
23-03-2008, 09:33 AM
Hi Alex,

Have a look at sites dealing with how to make good web sites. You should do a search for them. If you are sixteen you are still at school. Try and find someone in your class who is good at graphics design. (For some reason I do not understand girls tend to be good at this). Building a web site that is not very good is really easy. Building a great looking web site that works well is anything but easy.

The way to make money on the internet is not by designing web sites for other people but building your own website that will make money.

One way to make money is to build a website that attracts so many visitors that you will make money from advertisers who have links to your site and pay for each person who connects to theirs from yours.

Another technique is to build a site that sells product. The problem is finding a suitable product.

Alexrules01
23-03-2008, 04:56 PM
Hi Alex,

Have a look at sites dealing with how to make good web sites. You should do a search for them. If you are sixteen you are still at school. Try and find someone in your class who is good at graphics design. (For some reason I do not understand girls tend to be good at this). Building a web site that is not very good is really easy. Building a great looking web site that works well is anything but easy.

The way to make money on the internet is not by designing web sites for other people but building your own website that will make money.

One way to make money is to build a website that attracts so many visitors that you will make money from advertisers who have links to your site and pay for each person who connects to theirs from yours.

Another technique is to build a site that sells product. The problem is finding a suitable product.

Thx, I am still learning different things so thanks for the info.

1)So what are your website design skills? Flash? HTML?
2) What sort of transaction processing features are you adding to the sites?
3) What sort of back-end databases do your sites have?
4) How much do you charge?
5) Have you got a portfolio?
6) Do you offer Website Hosting and Management services as part of your deals?

1)HTML, not good at flash
2)Don't know what you mean by that
3)Never learnt about that
4)depending on what kind of project is asked
5)No
6)No

I have come to realise much more things to do with making a website, lie back-end databases, never got taught.
But thanks everyone for the info so far, and I am willing to learn as much as possible.:cool:

Basil
23-03-2008, 05:03 PM
But thanks everyone for the info so far, and I am willing to learn as much as possible.:cool:
Please just start by putting one foot in front of the other, one step at a time. You have been offered some great suggestions here, but please consider ignoring 90% of them until you have a few basic pages of html sorted.

Everything else can come later, one thing at a time.

Alexrules01
23-03-2008, 06:25 PM
Yea, true. I am pretty good at HTML (we started in notepad for god sakes)!

MichaelBaron
23-03-2008, 06:57 PM
Hi Alex,

Yep! ...check out Google AdSense program...not many people make money with it but potential is there!