PDA

View Full Version : USB Video Grabber

Dozy
16-03-2008, 02:32 PM
ALDI are advertising a Tevion USB Video Grabber in their current catalogue. Sells for $59. Seems useful. It's just a set of jacks attached to a USB connector but comes with software on CD-ROM.

Does anybody know anything about this sort of product?

(My interest is copying a few old movies (pre 1950s) that I have on tape, as well as a few personal items. It should do the job but I don't know anything about this sort of product.)

Zwischenzug
16-03-2008, 02:50 PM
According to the ALDI website:

* Capture, edit and burn videos to DVD/MPEG/VCD & SVCD (burner required) from various video sources such as VHS and personal video cameras
* CD-ROM software included

http://aldi.com.au/au/html/offers/2827_4639.htm

So, assuming your PC/Laptop has a DVD burner, you can copy VHS or camcorder video to DVD. Not sure about the quality though.

ElevatorEscapee
16-03-2008, 03:49 PM
Hi Dozy, nice to see you posting here again. :)

This technology to transfer has been around for a while (at least a couple of years know). The dongle offered by Tevion may work ok, but it is not the only one available, nor is it necessarily the cheapest thing available in comparison. It may or may not be able to give you what you want.

Tevion are known to produce products that don't necessarily quite live up to what you may hope. My advice would be to shop around. :)

If you already have a set top box style DVD burner, you may be able to simply hook up the AV jacks of the "AV out" of the VCR to the "AV in" of the DVD burner (if it has one) - and record to digital that way. :-)

Dozy
16-03-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Dozy, nice to see you posting here again. :)

This technology to transfer has been around for a while (at least a couple of years know). The dongle offered by Tevion may work ok, but it is not the only one available, nor is it necessarily the cheapest thing available in comparison. It may or may not be able to give you what you want. . .

First, thanks for your input Zwisch! I'd read the Aldi blurb but wondered if anybody knew a bit more about the type of product.

E.E., many thanks. That's exactly what I wanted to know. Next time I buy computer gear from Aldi will be the first . . . not that I think their gear is either good or bad (I wouldn't know) but I have a very competitive and helpful supplier in Penrith and prefer to deal with somebody who can help if there are any problems.

I'll have a yarn to him next week and see what he can come up with.

And thanks for the friendly greeting. I'm not sure whether I'm posting here again. I've kinda drifted away and, for this year at least, I'm tied up with something that cuts down my chess but is rewarding in other ways. But it's great to know there's a friendly forum where I can get info when I need it.

Cheers. :)

Basil
16-03-2008, 06:35 PM
Hi Dozy! Def a better board with you floating around. Limericks and all sorts of non sequiturs always appreciated.

Spiny Norman
17-03-2008, 06:06 AM
www.zazz.com.au

They have one on sale today for around $30 + postage ... I bought one from them a few months ago, but haven't used it yet ... they advertise a new product every day, so it won't be there tomorrow (just thought I should warn you!).

Dozy
17-03-2008, 07:23 AM
www.zazz.com.au

They have one on sale today for around $30 + postage ... I bought one from them a few months ago, but haven't used it yet ... they advertise a new product every day, so it won't be there tomorrow (just thought I should warn you!).Many thanks, Spiny. I had a look at that, signed up for Zazz, and bought one while they were still going. At that price, how could they go wrong? Appreciated.

Dozy
17-03-2008, 07:24 AM
Hi Dozy! Def a better board with you floating around. Limericks and all sorts of non sequiturs always appreciated.Thanks, Gunner. Maybe I should change my name to non sequitur. I certainly seem to have a talent (?) for them...

pax
17-03-2008, 01:04 PM
There are a zillion of these things around on ebay and the like. There are many different brands which all use the same two or three chipsets. If you want to use it in windows, you're pretty safe - if you want Linux or Mac you need to know the chipset to know whether it's compatible. They are mostly USB2.0 and 640x480 resolution and either PAL or NTSC standard - pretty standard stuff.