PDA

View Full Version : Tournament promotion idea

Garvinator
11-03-2008, 10:31 PM
I think it would be helpful to any ACF rated tournament that wishes to promote on here if said tournament is 'stickied' until the tournament is over.

This will make it easier for anyone wanting to use this forum to find out information about an acf rated tournament and will keep it front and centre.

This would also help in stopping said tournaments being pushed out of view by chat from tournaments that have finished.

As soon as tournament is over (or has started as mods see fit to make a rule on), the tournament is unstickied.

This of course could be a double edged sword as criticism of said tournament is also magnified. So I guess it would be up to the tournament organisers to ask if they want their tournament 'stickied' or not.

Desmond
11-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Wouldn't that give you a whole page or more of stickies?

Garvinator
11-03-2008, 10:58 PM
Wouldn't that give you a whole page or more of stickies?
It was just an idea written on spur of moment, didn't say it did not need refinement ;) :uhoh:

Perhaps a time limit of two weeks before tournament starts it gets stickied.

Aaron Guthrie
11-03-2008, 11:01 PM
Or perhaps a new subforum, and have the threads just be notices of where and when.

Kevin Bonham
12-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Have opened a discussion on this in the mods subforum.

How about: to get tournament stickied, thread-starter must include the dates of the tournament in the thread heading, and if this is done, it will be stickied unless requested otherwise?

I'm keen not to increase the number of subforums. There are probably too many as it is.

Garvinator
12-03-2008, 02:39 PM
How about: to get tournament stickied, thread-starter must include the dates of the tournament in the thread heading, and if this is done, it will be stickied unless requested otherwise?
Does this mean that if dates aren't included that thread wont be stickied? It is quite common to just include the bare information (name of tournament) in the heading and then have details in first post of thread.

Having to include dates in title could make some titles quite lengthy. Also some tournament dates could be quite difficult to include in a heading.

Perhaps dates could be added after thread stickied?

Zwischenzug
12-03-2008, 11:15 PM
Can we post here if we want to know when a particular tournament will run?

Kevin Bonham
13-03-2008, 12:25 AM
Does this mean that if dates aren't included that thread wont be stickied?

The alternative would seem to be that the mods are expected to open every single tournament thread that goes up to see when it the event is running til, or that the thread-starters are expected to contact the mods if they want their event stickied (this burns up time opening and answering PMs for all concerned.)

Actually I read a very high percentage of what goes up here, but I can't guarantee I would continually open every tournament thread. But if I can see a date and see something is coming up soon, I can sticky it.

A date in the form XX-YY MMM doesn't take much space up.

Trent Parker
13-03-2008, 12:17 PM
Maybe we could update that silly calendar tab... so that people can enter tournaments into the calendar and then have something up top of the shoutbox displaying upcoming tournaments. eg. something scrolling as to not take up much space?

I know i know it'll need some programming....

I'll shut up now.....

Garvinator
14-03-2008, 01:54 AM
A date in the form XX-YY MMM doesn't take much space up.That is fine, maybe it needs to be restricted to the weekend type tournaments, which usually only have a short shelf life, but do sometimes have quite a bit of interest in the lead up.

CameronD
14-03-2008, 11:30 AM
That is fine, maybe it needs to be restricted to the weekend type tournaments, which usually only have a short shelf life, but do sometimes have quite a bit of interest in the lead up.

I thought this site was to support all chess in australia including club chess and not just weekend tournaments. Just write Wednesdays starting xxyyzz. Club support is more important than weekend tournaments, as clubsis where new members are recruited and the bread of the chess scene.

Garvinator
14-03-2008, 12:05 PM
I thought this site was to support all chess in australia including club chess and not just weekend tournaments. Just write Wednesdays starting xxyyzz. Club support is more important than weekend tournaments, as clubsis where new members are recruited and the bread of the chess scene.
While this is all true, it goes against my original idea for sticking, which is that the 'promotion' of a tournament on here usually has a short shelf life, as I said previously.

So a weekend tournament gets stickied for a couple of weeks, tournament finishes and then it is removed from stickied status.

I have said my piece, now lets just wait for a decision from the mods from their own forum on this matter.

eclectic
14-03-2008, 12:53 PM
So a weekend tournament gets stickied for a couple of weeks, tournament finishes and then it is removed from stickied status.

two weeks after it finishes its thread should be closed and archived

Garvinator
18-03-2008, 07:32 PM
:hmm:

Kevin Bonham
18-03-2008, 07:36 PM
Haven't had any feedback on it from the other mods on this yet.

If none arrives I may be happy to do it myself, but it will be on the terms that make it easiest for me to do it, which will probably be along the lines I discussed above.