PDA

View Full Version : Internet Chess Coaching Specials

MichaelBaron
10-03-2008, 10:53 PM
Despite my love for Melbourne CBD and its beautiful "chess venues" as well as lovely people visiting my house for lessons, Internet chess lessons appear to be easiest to manage as they can be delivered at otherwise inconvinient times such as 9 or 10 pm on weeknights etc. (or early afternoons on days that i do not teach uni classes).

As I enjoy them so much - here is my latest special. Instead of paying the RRP of $40/hour, the lessons are now available for $60 for 2 hours subject to a) being delivered in 2 hour blocks rather than 1+1 and b) STUDENTS DOING THEIR CHESS HOMEWORK :lol:

See you online ;)

Alexrules01
11-03-2008, 07:58 PM
Hi, I'd like to know what rating you have, or experience you posess.

MichaelBaron
11-03-2008, 08:07 PM
Hi, I'd like to know what rating you have, or experience you posess.

My ACF is 2320 (number 14 on the Australian rating list) My fide rating is 2327.

I have been coaching for a number of years now and had a number of students improve their level of play dramatically. For more information, pls speak to me on msn (michael_baron@hotmail.com is my msn address) or email webbaron@gmail.com

Cheers

Shark93
13-03-2008, 06:33 PM
I don't know why somone would take a lesson from you at $30 per hour, when there are grandmaster coaches who charge only $25 per hour for internet coaching.

Garrett
13-03-2008, 06:57 PM
I don't know why somone would take a lesson from you at $30 per hour, when there are grandmaster coaches who charge only $25 per hour for internet coaching.

Ziah, Michael is free to charge what he likes. If he charges too much then he will have no customers.

Also, skill in a given field does not necessarily correlate to the ability to transfer the knowledge. If these GM's you speak of were really good, then they would probably have too many customers if they only charged $25-00 per hour.

Maybe you been taking lessons from some Nigerian 1800 player.

Cheers
Garrett.

MichaelBaron
14-03-2008, 11:01 AM

No problem. If you take coaching with such a gm and get good value..i am only happy for you. :)

Mind you some of these GMs are not very fluent in English as they come from certain countries. However, if you are fluent in Serbian or Russian - you can probably find some pretty good coaches at this price.

MichaelBaron
14-03-2008, 11:16 AM

Cheers
Garrett.

Nigerian 1800-rated coaches is a sligh exxagiration but what chess players in certain countries do - they use 2600+ GM (e.g top Romanian, Polish or Serbian player) and his Interent handle to advertise for lessons so they can get more students + better rates.

In reality - 2650 rated players are not spending their time coaching lower-rated players. What they do instead - is delegate coaching to their chess friends. Mind you such arrangement is not nesessaraly disasterous for the students. As Polish and Romanian gms usually delegate their lessons to FMs and IMs rather than to complete patzers :).

I do not want to list any names here but i know of at least 4 TOP 100 GMs who use their names as a "brand" and others do the coaching :). Sometimes it leads to funny situations. Here is a story from one of my students: A certain polish GM is fluent en english so when my student (that was before he started working with me) met him at a big open tournament in the US...he was really impressed with the GM and his ability to communicate. But when he ordered internet lessons from that guy, to his great surprise - he discovered that whoever was coaching him could hardly speak english :).

Another issue is: is there direct relationship between being a superstrong player and being a good coach? i feel that teaching ability (obviously accompanied by a resonable understanding of chess) is far more important. And what do others think about it? lets have a discussion :). Would be great to her from Leonid, Carl, Bill Jordan and others on this server who are doing coaches as well as from those who were recieving chess lessons in the past. Could be an interesting thread :hmm:

Shark93
14-03-2008, 11:48 AM
Ziah, Michael is free to charge what he likes. If he charges too much then he will have no customers.

Also, skill in a given field does not necessarily correlate to the ability to transfer the knowledge. If these GM's you speak of were really good, then they would probably have too many customers if they only charged $25-00 per hour.

Cheers
Garrett.

Actually $25-35 per hour is the usual rate GM's and Im's charge of the internet chess club which is where many titled players coach. And they have to prove their identity to be an ICC vendor.

Vlad
14-03-2008, 12:01 PM
Michael, let us have a little competition (I am happy for any other coach to participate in it).

We each pick up one student with an ACF rating >1000 (ratings below are completely meaningless) and decide on a time frame, I suggest a year. Then we look at the change in ACF ratings say from March 2008 till March 2009.
What do you reckon?:)

MichaelBaron
14-03-2008, 01:21 PM
Michael, let us have a little competition (I am happy for any other coach to participate in it).

We each pick up one student with an ACF rating >1000 (ratings below are completely meaningless) and decide on a time frame, I suggest a year. Then we look at the change in ACF ratings say from March 2008 till March 2009.
What do you reckon?:)

Drug, I will pick your son ;) as he is going to improve by 500 points in the near future for sure. And who is your pick ;).

Just wonder how many more childish competition offers you have in mind :D

Basil
14-03-2008, 01:57 PM
Hi Ziah

A few of observations on your post.

1) You haven't taken into account the quality of the teaching in your observation. The best footballer in the world might not be the best coach. The second best footballer in the world (or perhaps even a patzer with the gift of teaching) may be the best teacher in the world.

2) Did you consider that the GM may be under-charging? If you did, and he/ she is (under-charging) does that mean that all other coaches should under-charge?

3) Are you aware that some people under-charge, because they aren't making sales or retaining repeat business?

4) Are you aware that some people under-charge, because they are unaware of the market price?

5) Are you aware that some people charge different prices because of geographical and logistical criteria that aren't apparent merely from a price list?

6) Are you aware that some people who under-charge, are moments away from increasing their prices?

7) Have you ever paid any amount of money for anything while knowing that a similar product is available cheaper elsewhere?

Is anyone in your family in business?

CameronD
14-03-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi Ziah

A few of observations on your post.

1) You haven't taken into account the quality of the teaching in your observation. The best footballer in the world might not be the best coach. The second best footballer in the world (or perhaps even a patzer with the gift of teaching) may be the best teacher in the world.

2) Did you consider that the GM may be under-charging? If you did, and he/ she is (under-charging) does that mean that all other coaches should under-charge? Is anyone in your family in business? Perhaps a fruit shop?

3) Are you aware that some people under-charge, because they aren't making sales or retaining repeat business?

4) Are you aware that some people under-charge, because they are unaware of the market price?

5) Are you aware that some people charge different prices because of geographical and logistical criteria that aren't apparent merely from a price list?

6) Are you aware that some people who under-charge, are moments away from increasing their prices?

7) Have you ever paid any amount of money for anything while knowing that a similar product is available cheaper elsewhere?

Actually the best footballers are the worst coaches as they are naturally talented with excessive skills. The standard first grader are better as they have had to do things that they are not naturally talented to.

Basil
14-03-2008, 02:43 PM
Actually $25-35 per hour is the usual rate GM's and Im's charge of the internet chess club which is where many titled players coach. And they have to prove their identity to be an ICC vendor.
I'd also note that internet training is arguably not as productive per hour as face to face instruction. It's all good. I'm not attacking you, just pointing out that life isn't as clear cut as one gets older. BTW, when was the last time you paid for a tank of petrol? It's like 5,000 years worth of bubble gum ;)

Garrett
14-03-2008, 05:33 PM
I'd also note that internet training is arguably not as productive per hour as face to face instruction. It's all good. I'm not attacking you, just pointing out that life isn't as clear cut as one gets older. BTW, when was the last time you paid for a tank of petrol? It's like 5,000 years worth of bubble gum ;)

A tank of petrol is only worth 5000 years of bubble gum if you're a Pom though. Poms don't like bubble gum 'cos they have to shut up while they chew it.

Metro
14-03-2008, 05:33 PM
Actually the best footballers are the worst coaches as they are naturally talented with excessive skills.

Not so.Leigh Matthews was both champion player and champion coach.
Kevin Sheedy was "near"champion player and champion coach.Malcolm Blight was champion player and champion coach.

What does it mean to have excessive skills?

Basil
14-03-2008, 05:44 PM
Not so.Leigh Matthews was both champion player and champion coach. Kevin Sheedy was "near"champion player and champion coach.Malcolm Blight was champion player and champion coach.
Agreed Met. However the issue here, I believe is one of causality. The fact that people were great players is not a predicate to being great coaches. There are countless examples. I believe Ziah was impugning otherwise.

C.Antolis
14-03-2008, 08:08 PM
No problem. If you take coaching with such a gm and get good value..i am only happy for you. :)

Mind you some of these GMs are not very fluent in English as they come from certain countries. However, if you are fluent in Serbian or Russian - you can probably find some pretty good coaches at this price.
Ziah, Michael is right, those GMs on ICC suck at english. You can tell by the ads in their finger notes. ;)

MichaelBaron
14-03-2008, 10:05 PM
Ziah, Michael is right, those GMs on ICC suck at english. You can tell by the ads in their finger notes. ;)

I have a new business idea - ESL lessons for grandmasters :lol:

Vlad
15-03-2008, 10:01 AM
Drug, I will pick your son ;) as he is going to improve by 500 points in the near future for sure. And who is your pick ;).

Just wonder how many more childish competition offers you have in mind :D

Well done, Michael. He is +150 after 9 games played in this rating period. It was not a fair bet after all. :lol:

If you want to pick Anton, I am happy to pick some other junior. But let us look at the time period from March 2009 to March 2010. :cool:

WhiteElephant
15-03-2008, 12:06 PM
Ziah, have you actually taken a lesson from any of those Internet Grandmasters?

Rather than casting aspersions on Michael (without ever had a lesson from him), why don't you go and have a lesson with one of those internet GMs and report back?

I believe Michael's offer is very good value.

MichaelBaron
15-03-2008, 12:29 PM
If somebody wants a good GM coach for internet lessons, i can certainly reccoment a couple. One very good coach is our own Dejan Antic. Another great coach is GM Baggheri (originally from Iran but living in France now and his english is also fluent). I believe both of them offer chess lessons at a good price.

MichaelBaron
30-07-2008, 09:56 PM
If somebody wants a good GM coach for internet lessons, i can certainly reccoment a couple. One very good coach is our own Dejan Antic. Another great coach is GM Baggheri (originally from Iran but living in France now and his english is also fluent). I believe both of them offer chess lessons at a good price.

I just finished a lesson from my first ever internet chess student from Africa. Makes me feel kind of exited as it means i have already coached students from all continents other than Antractica. :). I wonder if any penguins in Antarctica need chess lessons :) :clap:

black
30-07-2008, 11:58 PM
I wonder if any penguins in Antarctica need chess lessons :) :clap:

They don't.

Zwischenzug
31-07-2008, 04:45 PM
I just finished a lesson from my first ever internet chess student from Africa. Makes me feel kind of exited as it means i have already coached students from all continents other than Antractica. :). I wonder if any penguins in Antarctica need chess lessons :) :clap:

If Michael can make Vassia the cat play chess, teaching penguins will be a cinch. :owned:

eclectic
31-07-2008, 04:50 PM
If Michael can make Vassia the cat play chess, teaching penguins will be a cinch. :owned:

at least they will already look like they are in formal attire should they qualify for the elite level tournaments :whistle:

Axiom
31-07-2008, 08:36 PM
They don't.
i find that incredibly presumptuous of you !

Rincewind
31-07-2008, 10:51 PM
i find that incredibly presumptuous of you !

They're all too busy taking singing lessons. :)

MichaelBaron
01-08-2008, 12:12 AM

My Cat is actually quite strong ..it was beating Axiom..till he took the move back ;). However, Penguins appear to be playing poorly against Queens' gambit and French Defence

Zwischenzug
01-08-2008, 01:22 PM
My Cat is actually quite strong ..it was beating Axiom..till he took the move back ;). However, Penguins appear to be playing poorly against Queens' gambit and French Defence
You mean like this penguin?

MichaelBaron
01-08-2008, 01:55 PM
You mean like this penguin?

LOL

CameronD
01-08-2008, 08:28 PM

Defeating axiom is not a benchmark for being a strong player. Maybe for not being a total beginner... maybe

MichaelBaron
01-08-2008, 08:30 PM
Defeating axiom is not a benchmark for being a strong player. Maybe for not being a total beginner... maybe

Cameron, we are talking about a cat here...for a Cat its not that bad ;)

CameronD
01-08-2008, 08:32 PM
Cameron, we are talking about a cat here...for a Cat its not that bad ;)

Cat would be a favorite over axiom any day, especially with ax possum dribble.

Axiom
01-08-2008, 10:13 PM
Cat would be a favorite over axiom any day, especially with ax possum dribble.
Cameron , i don't know , and i can't quite put my finger on it , but it seems to me that you are not as fully aware as you should be that you are actually in the presence of the Ax ( with all the due respect that would naturally accrue thereof)