PDA

View Full Version : What should the new Rudd government do with its promised tax cuts

Capablanca-Fan
05-03-2008, 03:25 PM
This government, copying John Howard, promised tax cuts. But should they deliver? And in what form?

pax
05-03-2008, 03:30 PM
The options are expertly crafted to skew the responses. You should get a job as a pollster.

Capablanca-Fan
05-03-2008, 03:34 PM
The options are expertly crafted to skew the responses. You should get a job as a pollster.

Bwa ha ha ha!

Aaron Guthrie
05-03-2008, 03:42 PM
It is worse than my polls (and what does everyone else have against multi-poll options).

Desmond
06-03-2008, 07:53 PM
It is worse than my polls That's a big call. :P

(and what does everyone else have against multi-poll options).I generally dislike them because there is no way to prevent a person from selecting mutually exclusive options, or, indeed, all options.

Aaron Guthrie
06-03-2008, 07:58 PM
I generally dislike them because there is no way to prevent a person from selecting mutually exclusive options, or, indeed, all options.But why would you want to prevent them from doing that? They may belive that the answers are not mutually exclusive, or they may think they are but still assent to both. In either case, you don't get a vote from them that represents what they think.

Desmond
06-03-2008, 08:00 PM
But why would you want to prevent them from doing that? They may belive that the answers are not mutually exclusive, or they may think they are but still assent to both. In either case, you don't get a vote from them that represents what they think.Or they may just be trolls skewing the results.

Aaron Guthrie
06-03-2008, 08:03 PM
Or they may just be trolls skewing the results.Which they are able to do quite well enough when they are restricted to just one option. Arguably a better skew results if they pick less options, as the skewing of one option can be countered by their also picking another option (e.g. two options, pick both, surely this results in less skew than picking one).

Desmond
06-03-2008, 08:10 PM
Which they are able to do quite well enough when they are restricted to just one option. Arguably a better skew results if they pick less options, as the skewing of one option can be countered by their also picking another option (e.g. two options, pick both, surely this results in less skew than picking one).Yes I'm sure that is arguable. Most things are. I'll leave it there.

Capablanca-Fan
06-03-2008, 08:40 PM
I generally dislike them because there is no way to prevent a person from selecting mutually exclusive options, or, indeed, all options.
IIRC the pollster can forbid that on this site.

Desmond
06-03-2008, 09:10 PM
IIRC the pollster can forbid that on this site.
How?AFAIK it's either multi-choice or it isn't. No way to drill down and make some options exclude others.

Southpaw Jim
06-03-2008, 09:41 PM
I haven't voted because of the nature of the poll questions. I'd like to say the super option, but it's politically unfeasible.

No pollie would want to re-live the L-A-W tax cuts.

Capablanca-Fan
06-03-2008, 11:05 PM
How?AFAIK it's either multi-choice or it isn't. No way to drill down and make some options exclude others.
I just checked, and there is a box to tick, "Allow multiple choice: Give users the ability to select more than one answer".

Capablanca-Fan
06-03-2008, 11:09 PM
I haven't voted because of the nature of the poll questions. I'd like to say the super option, but it's politically unfeasible.
What is wrong with the way the super option is phrased? It might be a way to keep inflation down.

No pollie would want to re-live the L-A-W tax cuts.
Why not? Paul "Potty Mouth" Keating is a hero to many Laborites.

What if the government provided an option for people to take their cuts in super? Then those who want their cuts up front still can, and that way the government could keep its promise.

Desmond
07-03-2008, 07:15 AM
I just checked, and there is a box to tick, "Allow multiple choice: Give users the ability to select more than one answer".
Yes you can allow multi choice, but you cannot specify if some answers preclude. As I said, it is either multi-choice or it isn't.

So for instance, you might want to create a poll with the following structure:

a) yes because of reason x.
b) yes because of reason y.
c) no because of reason z.
d) no because of reason zz.

Which is all well and good, but you want to allow people to indicate if they are voting in the yes region whether it is for reason x and y or just one of the two. So you allow multi-choice. Then you get some trolls select all 4 answers and skew the results.

What you really want to do is to have nested answers so that answering a) means that c) and d) cannot be selected. This cannot be done on the current system.

Capablanca-Fan
07-03-2008, 09:00 AM
Yes you can allow multi choice, but you cannot specify if some answers preclude. As I said, it is either multi-choice or it isn't.
But the default option is to allow only one answer, as with this poll.

Desmond
07-03-2008, 07:19 PM
But the default option is to allow only one answer, as with this poll.
So? Manga asked why people disliked multi-choice and I told him.

Capablanca-Fan
08-03-2008, 12:21 AM
So? Manga asked why people disliked multi-choice and I told him.
No need to worry with my polls: just vote 1!