PDA

View Full Version : In over my head?

BrandonSi
14-02-2008, 02:04 PM
Hi everyone.. This is my first post, so I apologize right off the bat if this question gets asked often, I did read through this forum for a bit and didn't see a post similar to mine.. That being said, onto the question!

I learned how to play chess about 10 years ago, and have always been fascinated with computer chess, especially playing different "characters" in Chessmaster against each other, and recently learning how to download .eng /uci engines and pitting them against each other in engine tournaments in my rather outdated version of Fritz 8. I'm looking for a program that can help me learn how to play a better game.. Learn openings, basic strategy, closings, etc.. but still have a great engine "mode" so I can play around with various engines. Fritz 11 looks good, but it doesn't support dual core cpu's from what I can tell. Is Deep Fritz 10 worth a look? Would it still have the teaching components I'm looking for? I see some mention of Deep Fritz 11 but haven't seen a release date.. I've heard a lot of talk about Deep Shredder and Rybeka (sp?) but don't know much about either of them...

I guess the question is, what software would you recommend for me? I really need a thorough teaching mode (videos would be great), but I want a strong, efficient and expandable program too.

Thanks in advance :)

Brandon

Garrett
14-02-2008, 04:04 PM
Hi Brandon

It would be very hard to make a recommendation without know what level of chess playing ability you are at.

Do you play club chess ? Do you have a rating in Chessmaster or a USCF rating ? Are you not much over a complete beginners level ?

I am a reasonable club player and I really like Chessbase products, but they can be expensive.

Cheers and best in chess
George.

ElevatorEscapee
14-02-2008, 08:24 PM
Hi Brandon, it seems you want the "best of both worlds" ;)

The "Chessmaster" programs are very good for beginners, offering a basic, "step up" kind of rate, however the engines that promote themselves as "stronger", or for "professionals" don't necessarily have the same "friendliness" toward beginners.

I would reccommend you try "Chessbase light" (it used to be a freeware version of the Chessbase database program), and try to use it with your favourite "chess engine", (be that Chessmaster, Fritz, Rebel, or whatever).

Normally, you will find that the strongest "chess engines" are extremely strong tactically, but don't necessarily provide the best "learning curve" for beginners.

I am an "average club player" in Australia, and I still find myself challenged "chesswise" by my old Scysis Kasparov III, (bought as a teenager in 1987!) and a chess program written for my good old Commodore 64 called "Chessmaster 2000" (a percursor to the PC "Chessmaster" programs).

There are also several online sites that you may find helpful with your game, providing you with chess puzzles, a time limit, and answers. :)

If you like, I can try to dig up a few!

~EE :)

BrandonSi
15-02-2008, 12:55 AM
Thank you both!

Garrett - I've never played a game outside of friendly competition or on the computer, no clubs or tournaments to speak of. I haven't played Chessmaster in quite a while (probably 2-3 years ago), but last I remember my rating according to the software was around 1300.. nothing too impressive :)

EE - Thanks for your recommendation.. I will look into Chessbase light!

Trent Parker
18-02-2008, 01:18 PM
In terms of openings. On the Free Internet Chess server there is a "lecturebot" which has different lectures on different stages of the game including some openings and endings as well as some attacking motifs.

Maybe this could be some help to you as well?

BrandonSi
18-02-2008, 01:58 PM
In terms of openings. On the Free Internet Chess server there is a "lecturebot" which has different lectures on different stages of the game including some openings and endings as well as some attacking motifs.

Maybe this could be some help to you as well?

Thanks TCN! I will definitely look into that! :)

Adamski
18-02-2008, 11:04 PM
EE - Thanks for your recommendation.. I will look into Chessbase light!On Chessbase light, see this thread. Includes web site where you can download it free. http://www.chesschat.org/showthread.php?t=7599&highlight=Chessbase+light