PDA

View Full Version : ChessBase Light 2007

Spiny Norman
08-02-2008, 03:59 PM
Just in case anyone missed it, there is now a new version of ChessBase Light (http://www.chessbase.com) ... its substantially better than the old-old-old CBLight application ... plus it embeds a Fritz v6 engine (the old version had Fritz v4).

I started using ChessAssistant and its megabase for research about 12 months ago, but still tend to use ChessBase Light to record my own games and do quick analysis with Fritz.

... and yes, ChessBase Light 2007 is free ...

Adamski
08-02-2008, 11:25 PM
Thanks, Spiny. I will upgrade.:hand:

Garrett
09-02-2008, 09:35 AM
Hi Spiny

I haven't used any other database but I just love Chessbase. Like you, I do research with the mega database and when I am analysing my own games I can have a window open showing what moves the GM's have played in the position and another window with a chess engine.

Good luck and good chessing !!

Cheers
George.

tanc
09-02-2008, 10:53 AM
Just in case anyone missed it, there is now a new version of ChessBase Light (http://www.chessbase.com) ... its substantially better than the old-old-old CBLight application ... plus it embeds a Fritz v6 engine (the old version had Fritz v4).

I started using ChessAssistant and its megabase for research about 12 months ago, but still tend to use ChessBase Light to record my own games and do quick analysis with Fritz.

... and yes, ChessBase Light 2007 is free ...

It's been out for a year now. ;)

You con download it directly from here:
http://www.chessbase.com/download/cblight2007/index.asp

As is typical with all Chessbase products, there's very little documentation/help on how to use it. And the only useful help is via reading Chessbase articles. *sigh*. see
http://www.chessbase.com/download/index.asp

Davidflude
09-02-2008, 02:19 PM
Hi Spiny

I haven't used any other database but I just love Chessbase. Like you, I do research with the mega database and when I am analysing my own games I can have a window open showing what moves the GM's have played in the position and another window with a chess engine.

Good luck and good chessing !!

Cheers
George.

The problem with megabase is that it becomes out of date rapidly. fortunately ChessBase makes it very easy to download games from "The week in Chess" easily.

I have written an article for the next issue of "Australian correspondence Chess Quarterly" on how to keep your database up to date. Hint - get the latest database of correspondence games from Tim Harding.

ElevatorEscapee
11-02-2008, 10:52 PM
Who's Chas? ;) :D

Spiny Norman
12-02-2008, 01:00 PM
After investigating further, it turns out that Chessbase have shot themselves in the foot by disallowing the creating of new databases and disallowing the saving of games in the un-activated Chessbase Light 2007. You have to buy an activation key to enable this functionality.

Dumb. Worse than dumb. American colonialist dumb. I'm-so-dumb-I'm-dumber-than-you kind of dumb.

Dumb!

It would have been simple for them to limit the application to 1 database with no more than, say, 1000 games ... then it would have offered useful functionality to the ordinary club player, whilst promoting the idea that if you're serious about chess you upgrade to the premium edition.

I'll be ditching Chessbase completely as a result.

Capablanca-Fan
12-02-2008, 07:53 PM
After investigating further, it turns out that Chessbase have shot themselves in the foot by disallowing the creating of new databases and disallowing the saving of games in the un-activated Chessbase Light 2007. You have to buy an activation key to enable this functionality.

Dumb. Worse than dumb. American colonialist dumb. I'm-so-dumb-I'm-dumber-than-you kind of dumb.

Dumb!

It would have been simple for them to limit the application to 1 database with no more than, say, 1000 games ... then it would have offered useful functionality to the ordinary club player, whilst promoting the idea that if you're serious about chess you upgrade to the premium edition.

I'll be ditching Chessbase completely as a result.
Yeah, it was completely misleading to call it an "upgrade" if it ditched important functions that the old version had.

Rincewind
12-02-2008, 10:24 PM
Yeah, it was completely misleading to call it an "upgrade" if it ditched important functions that the old version had.

SCID (http://scid.sourceforge.net/) is still completely fully functional and free. I tried Chessbase (v6) lite but SCID is heaps better and has all the functionality you need. I've used it exclusively for the last few years at least.

Capablanca-Fan
13-02-2008, 12:01 PM
SCID (http://scid.sourceforge.net/) is still completely fully functional and free. I tried Chessbase (v6) lite but SCID is heaps better and has all the functionality you need. I've used it exclusively for the last few years at least.
What advantages does it have over CB(6)Lite?

Rincewind
13-02-2008, 02:29 PM
What advantages does it have over CB(6)Lite?

The main one is database size is not limited.

SCID also supports endgame databases, not sure if CBlite(6) does this.

Personally I also prefer the interface and it seems to me that CBlite was written by programmers who assume you would not want to use any other application at the same time.

Stav
10-01-2011, 10:46 PM
Spiny, did you say Chess Base Light 2007 is free and you can save games? When I try to save a game it wants me to buy an activation key. Then when I go to buy one it appears as though you must pay a fee each year!! Admittedly I downloaded ChessBase Light 2009. What am I doing wrong. I just need the most basic functions - to play the games from the Australian Open and to save games I input my self to play later. Ta, Stav

Adamski
10-01-2011, 11:27 PM
Thanks RW. Having just come back to this thread I am rather belatedly installing SCID now. I have CBase Lite 6 but it is not great. I also have Fritz 12 but can't really afford or justify buying a full Chessbase.

Our new CC member could try SCID too! Welcome, Stav!

Adamski
10-01-2011, 11:47 PM
So far I am impressed. Easy to use and more functionaility than my ChessBase Lite. I encourage other club level players to download and use Scid.

Craig_Hall
11-01-2011, 09:24 AM
I use ChessDB, which is based on SCID, and is also free. I've generated PGNs for the South Island and All Canty Champs this year with it, and haven't had any issues as yet. It also has a few analysis engines in it, and while I wouldn't lean too heavily on them, they still find the forced mates and winning tactics well enough.

Qbert
12-01-2011, 10:03 AM
Craig, is it worth getting the version of ChessDB with 3-4 man tablebases? I can access 6-man table bases online - what do they add to the product?

Rincewind
12-01-2011, 10:14 AM
Craig, is it worth getting the version of ChessDB with 3-4 man tablebases? I can access 6-man table bases online - what do they add to the product?

I have had the 3,4 and 5 man tablebases (available online as standalone downloads) for a while and install them with SCID. When looking at a game if you get down to a sufficiently simple endgame will tell you the correct move (or moves) to win or draw or which ones lose. If there are only losing lines it will also give you the line that loses the most slowly (longest forced mate for the other side). The sizes of the tablebases are:

3-man ~ 65 kB
4-man ~ 30 Mb*
5-man ~ 7 Gb

* corrected from 80

Adamski
12-01-2011, 11:33 AM
Thanks. I have now just installed ChessDB-3.6.19-beta-1 with ll its table bases. It even tells you all the changes since SCID.

It is a Beta release but it seems fine so far.

whatteaux
12-01-2011, 05:10 PM
Thanks. I have now just installed ChessDB-3.6.19-beta-1 with ll its table bases. It even tells you all the changes since SCID.

It is a Beta release but it seems fine so far.

I think there may be more recent versions of ChessDB available; I have version 3.6.24 (2010-03-27). And it's not as much 'newer' than SCID as it claims; my version of SCID (4.2.2) is dated January 2010.

My copy of ChessDB wants to give me a tip o' the day and big splash screen every time I open it, even though I repeatedly tell it not to. Grrr. Check out its 'Huge' games DB to download (3 million+ games).

Qbert
13-01-2011, 09:41 AM
I have had the 3,4 and 5 man tablebases (available online as standalone downloads) for a while and install them with SCID. When looking at a game if you get down to a sufficiently simple endgame will tell you the correct move (or moves) to win or draw or which ones lose. If there are only losing lines it will also give you the line that loses the most slowly (longest forced mate for the other side). The sizes of the tablebases are:

3-man ~ 65 kB
4-man ~ 80 Mb
5-man ~ 7 Gb
Thanks Rincewind. I have installed the basic version of ChessDB - only 3 man is included. I am more interested in the games database - but if I feel the need I will get the 4 & 5 man table bases later, now I know they are easy to add separately.

Rincewind
13-01-2011, 10:21 AM
No worries. BTW a link which still seems to work for these table bases is

http://folk.uib.no/pfvaf/chesslib/Nalimov.htm

Other links which used to work seem to be dead now. Also note that my 4-man estimate was a type it shuld have been 30 Mb not 80 Mb.

Qbert
14-01-2011, 09:21 AM
Actually I am having trouble downloading the games databases - getting errors no matter which site I choose. Are there any tutorials for how to overcome problems? - couldn't find any on the source forge documentation

Craig_Hall
19-01-2011, 04:51 PM
I had a look at the tutorial on the ChessDB homepage, and it seems that the programme was downloading the database from chesstutor.net, which no longer exists as a real site, which would explain why that function doesn't work.

http://chessdb.sourceforge.net/tutorial/twic-retriveal.php gives instructions on how to download games from TWIC. I don't use that function myself, so don't know if it actually works, but the pgns can always be downloaded directly from TWIC directly.