PDA

View Full Version : Fritz 8

blackrook
21-01-2008, 12:38 AM
I would like to check other people's experiences with Fritz 8. I had all sorts of problems with slow running, sticking and sometimes an error mesage after which the program would close down. :( The store told me it must be my machine (of course), but now that I have a new machine I find the same problems (although not an error and closedown yet).

I wonder if other people have had this problem and if there is anything I can do about it, short of buying a later version, I suppose.

Garvinator
21-01-2008, 12:57 AM
I would like to check other people's experiences with Fritz 8. I had all sorts of problems with slow running, sticking and sometimes an error mesage after which the program would close down. :( The store told me it must be my machine (of course), but now that I have a new machine I find the same problems (although not an error and closedown yet).

I wonder if other people have had this problem and if there is anything I can do about it, short of buying a later version, I suppose.
By a later version, this is a common problem with F8 I find.

If I understand about hash tables correctly, any time you have the hash tables anywhere near their maximum for your machine, then the computer will run slowly because almost all of your computer memory is being used to operate the hash tables.

If you are doing just general analysis or playing against the engine, I would recommend reducing your hash table size quite a bit. You will still get good enough analysis or a good game against the engine and will be able to use your computer for other things at the same time.

blackrook
21-01-2008, 01:24 AM
I use Fritz mostly for help preparing openings and then I run it on infinite analysis for some time. Would that be using hash tables?

On upgrading, I probably would be prepared to invest in a newer version if I could be sure that I wouldn't still have the same problems and that the new version could take over the existing database files. Are those likely to be OK?