PDA

View Full Version : Moving Chess Files to a New Computer

blackrook
20-01-2008, 08:38 PM
I have Fritz (8) on my old computer and lots of games, which Fritz has filed in My Documents/Chess Base/Database. I have transfered these files to my new machine and put them in the same place, but I can't seem to access them from the Fritz program there. :( I select File/Open/Database but only get a "No games found message".

Can someone please advise me how I can access these games on the new machine/ (There is far too much data to retype.)

ER
20-01-2008, 08:46 PM
BR I think it's a safer bet to go through the search files process! Find all the Fritz related files there and transfer them to new folders / files etc
Cheers and good luck!

Kevin Bonham
20-01-2008, 09:00 PM
It's weird that that's a problem because I transferred all my Fritz6 files from an old computer to a newer one, then installed Fritz6 on the newer computer, and had no troubles reading them on the newer one. (Indeed I can now read them using F11 as well.)

The only thing I can think of is checking that all the files transferred correctly, eg Fritz saves many different files for each database and you need them all to work.

ER
20-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Hi Kevin, by the way do you know why sometimes the games (you know the Fritz Data base master games) appear and some other times they won't?
Also how can you make the name of the opening (or the related code No) appear on the screen while you play a game?
Cheers and good luck

blackrook
21-01-2008, 12:29 AM
Thanks for the comments above.

I seem to have success now. In case someone else has the same problem, the issue was that I did not have the Fritz disc inserted. :doh: On my old machine this did not matter for saving and retrieving files, but on the new machine it must be essential for some reason.

Kevin Bonham
21-01-2008, 12:32 AM
Hi Kevin, by the way do you know why sometimes the games (you know the Fritz Data base master games) appear and some other times they won't?
Also how can you make the name of the opening (or the related code No) appear on the screen while you play a game?

I don't have either of these problems, although I haven't been able to get the name of the opening to appear on the screen while I merely enter moves in from a game.